“Good hotel in city center”
Review of Marins Park Hotel

Marins Park Hotel
Ranked #33 of 51 Hotels in Yekaterinburg
Yekaterinburg, Russia
“Good hotel in city center”
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Hotel in city center it is very convenient. The parity the price/quality - is good. Very professional personnel. I lived in a room of a category business. As a whole, a standard normal room. Unfortunately, there is no conditioner. One party of hotel leaves on railway station and if to open a window it will be noisy. Therefore it is better to ask to give you a room with a kind in a court yard, instead of on street. In hotel cafe a good, plentiful breakfast from many dishes. In a hotel building there is a good Japanese restaurant.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Earlville, Illinois
Reviewed 27 October 2010

After reading the previous reviews of this hotel, I was a bit nervous about my upcoming stay, but my fears were groundless. The hotel was clean, and the staff helpful and courteous. My room, while small, was clean, comfortable, and quiet. Absolutely NO COMPLAINTS from me or any of my associates that were also staying there at the time.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Robin_Sessler
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Having stayed at a number of hotels in Russia, thus far, on our trans-Siberian trip, I have purposely found a restaurant with an internet connection simply in order to write a review warning people from this dreadful hotel.

The lobby seems quite nice and the staff relatively friendly (although they did laugh when we asked whether our room had a double bed or two single beds), but the hotel is an absolute disgrace and the management should be ashamed of themselves. After paying over £50 a night (for which I could get a nice B&B in the UK) we went up in the lift to the 7th floor, the corridor of which resembled a corridor in a 1950's mental institution, and found ourselves in a room that I can only describe as a 'crack den' reminiscent of the room in 'Trainspotting' where the baby dies. In fairness, the room was in fact clean, but the stains on the walls that turned into spooky shapes when the lights were dimmed, the falling plaster, the peeling paint, the built in wardrobe that wouldn't shut and threatened to release all sorts of horrors during the night, the lumpy matress and offensively lumpy pillow and ripped wallpaper was less than I would expect from a £5 a night room in Bangkok. Do not stay here, it is an utter disgrace and a shame for the Russian people. What makes it particularly galling is that I did in fact check the pictures on their website before I booked it and they looked a bit rough but essentially fine. According to the notice in the room, however, the clearly very corrupt owner of the hotel had done his very best to make the hotel 'the best for a most pleasant stay'. A disgrace.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
10 Thank pamela_shorney

Travellers are raving about these Yekaterinburg hotels

United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2010

We'd booked through an agent to get another hotel, which they couldn't do for us so they at the last minute "upgraded us" to this hotel - as it had an ensuite (which is a fair enough reason to call it an upgrade). However, I don't know how much worse it could be.

The lobby is nice, clean and the staff at the front desk are friendly enough. I don't recommend the guide desk next door who were clueless about everything though.

We were given floor 7, which as someone said before us "is a different world". I would agree with those sentiments. The wallpaper was peeling, numbers were missing off the doors and the floor was tatty linoleum.

The room was, different to a typical hotel room. Wallpaper peeling, pipes showing in the bathroom, insulation showing around the windows and damp patches around the ceiling. If this was the UK this hotel would have already been shut down! We had a TV, it's TV stand a rusting fridge probably much older than me - I didn't dare plug it in! It was mouldy inside and the door didn't close properly. Food anyone?!

To top it off the beds were like sleeping on rocks.

Plus points: Breakfast was half decent and they had curtains (a western luxury in Russia it seems!)

You get my picture, unless you have to, don't stay here.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tclstravel
Sydney
Reviewed 13 April 2009

I have stayed in Hotel Sverdlorsk twice now. First time in September 2006 when I stayed for one week, then again in December 2007. Both times I have stayed, I was charged 700Rubles a night and have found the staff helpful and friendly. The first time i stayed I spoke not a word of Russian (I am Australian) and had no problems at all. The second time I stayed the receptionist even arranged an apartment for me in the centre as I was going to be staying in Ekaterinburg for two months. The rooms are terrible, but thats to be expected. For a cheap price its ok. Safe and convenient. If you wish to stay in comfortable surroundings and need to feel as you are back home (Europe, Australia, USA), then dont stay there. This is typical soviet style hotel. For a trans siberian stopover with basic amenties then its perfect. Just dont walk in to the foyer with your loud accents and flash gadgets. Be respectful and you are sure to not be ripped off.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank harleyullrich
Australia
Reviewed 20 November 2008

Picked the Sverdlovsk merely because it was across the road from the train station, it was getting late and it was cold and snowing. I wish I had braved the weather and kept walking.
the lobby is very modern and stylish but looks are deceiving. The hotel advertises 3 rates - 1800 rubles, 2500 and finally 3500 rubles for a suite. I asked the difference between the first two and was told the 2500 ruble rooms had been renovated. they lied. The room was in a corridor that looked about 300 rooms long. The room was small with a very narrow rock-hard single bed with a hideous pink cover. The room was dirty and the bathroom tiles cracked and filthy. The plaster surrounding the windows was almost non existent. There was only tepid water in the shower - not good when it is -10 outside. I would recommend people stay away from this hotel ans spend the effort to get into town.

That said, some of the staff were exceptional. I walked back to the hotel because I had seen they had a train and air ticket desk but when I asked, they told me it had been closed down. I was asking whether there was anywhere else I could book (the train station itself was a nightmare - very confusing and absolutely packed with people) the young lass got a lady from the business centre who could speak english. When the lady worked out out what ticket I was after, she wrote it in cyrillic and got the young lass to take me to the train station and order the ticket for me. On with her coat, through the snow and across the road, standing in queue and ordered my ticket, back to the hotel where all the details written in english for me, all at no charge! Was greatly appreciated so I bought the young lass a single rose from the flower seller.

• Liked — Close to railway station
  • Disliked — Poor quality of rooms
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
Reviewed 11 June 2008

We turned up to Ekaterinburg in need of a room at a sensible price, having stayed in Kazan and had a nice room for 2600 rubles thought 2900R was going to give us a reasonable room, big mistake not to check room before you pay. 7th floor was like a different world, I don't think these rooms had been decorated since the hotel was build in 1969, I would expect better for my dog in kennels.
I refused to stay, was offered a better room for 3500rubles which was better though not great.

How do they get away with charging so much for such a dump, is there a lack of hotels in this city.

In the UK( not the cheapest place for hotels) you can get a reasonable standard hotel for £50 or less, nothing special but you know it will be clean and well looked after.

Is this hotel a candidate for one of the worst hotels in the world?

• Liked — Nothing to recommend it
  • Disliked — The age and totally bad state of the rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple