“Does not live up to the Intercontinental name.....”

InterContinental Madinah-Dar Al Iman
Ranked #8 of 151 Hotels in Medina
Reviewed 26 April 2013

While it is located right next to the Haram, it is still some walking distance from the main and the women's gate that is closer to the Masjid-Nabvi. Nothing at this hotel is reflective of the Intercontinental name and brand. The rooms are shabby with old, run-down carpets. The bathroom was not functioning properly. The service is really lacking and staff show a care-free behavior. There are lots of things to write, but in short, do not expect anything "Intercontinental" if you choose this hotel. There a many better choices (Hilton Madina, and Oberoi to name two)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank arshadmian786
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Madinah-Dar Al Iman, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Dear arshadmian786,

First of all let me thank you for taking time to write your review. We are sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations in the facilities and the service you received during your stay. Rest assured that this isn't reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves with. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and we all hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 15 April 2013

the hotel itself is in a very good location, only 10 meters from the Al Masjid Al Nabawi Mosque, which makes it a perfect location for the visit to the Prophet Mohamed PBUH mosque

the rooms are not as i expected from such name (InterCon) they are pretty smaller in size compared to other hotels in the area.

food is great and service is wonderful.. after all my family, my parents & I enjoyed the experience to the limit...

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Khalididris
Reviewed 11 April 2013

A wonderful experience and relaxing stay. I would recommend this hotel WITHOUT any hesitation. I would like to pay compliments to Mr Marwan Ahmad from guest relations, who was an outstanding representative for your hotel. he was extremely, helpful, polite and no request seemed to much for him. I would also like to pay compliments to Mr Sameer Shafia, who is a credit to your hotel, he was helpful, professional and welcomed us everyday with a delightful smile. Also Mr Hatem Abu Saeda- assistant head chef, he was wonderful and his dishes were of the highest standards, I would highly recommend his food and the hotel services in general to all my friends and family.

Mohammad El-Alawneh

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NematallaS
Reviewed 7 April 2013

in general it's a convenient hotel very near to haram, quick services when we asked for some maintenance in the bathroom, needs more cleanness especially in bathrooms, high quality food, nice interior design. well, i may repeat a visit to this hotel in my next 3omra inshalla.

Room Tip: "convenient room for 3omra"
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank mimowehbi
Reviewed 4 April 2013

The location which every one has raved about can't be beat. It is on the yard of masjid nabawi. You can walk in and out in a couple of minutes.

They have free hassle free WiFi, which is great for all travelers.

Beyond above, if is just another hotel. Because of the location and restrictions on who they can hire none of the "Brand" hotels function anywhere close to their brand identity. At no time I felt I was at an Intercontinental at all.

Upon check in I was not acknowledged as an Ambassador Gold member, no upgrade, no fruit in room. Simply told when I asked them that an upgrade is not available. The rooms are fatigued. Bed was comfortable as expected. The bathroom didn't have hot water for shower! Only luke warm water. Plus the shower jets are weak. Basic amenities in bath consistent with an ICH franchise.

Room service food was ordinary, no different from an average local diner. I asked for a bucket of ice, none delivered.

The majority of guests were part of mass package tours.

Overall I would stay here again just for ICH Priority points and this is no different from any other property here

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank JeddaCath
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Madinah-Dar Al Iman, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Dear JeddaCath,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. We are delighted our location suited you well. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret we fell short in rendering great service during your stay. While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we thank you for sharing your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 23 March 2013

This is not my first visit to the property. It is satisfactory as usual. Checking in was very smooth and swift. Reception staff are smiling, greating and welcoming new guests. It took almost 2 minutes to finish my paper work and get my keys. They offer red or green apples for those hungry comers. There a is welcome desk with arabic coffee and dates next to the main gate. Behind that desk,lies the conceige who can help with the newspapers, luggage storage or delivery as well as arranging local tours or booking the Hotel limousine.
There 4 lifts serving the rooms (excluding the VIP sector), This is usually very busy especially before and after prayers. Prepare your prayer timing well in advance. It really gets crowded and delayed especially with families, groups and those with wheel chairs.
Rooms are very spacious, well designed and decorated. Though furniture are on the old side, this does not affect the luxury outfit of the room. There is kettle with some coffee and tea bags. Several complimentary bottled Nestle water (I had 2 near the kettle, 2 near the bed, one in toilet!, and 2 bottles on the table; another two in the minibar you will pay for if used).
There is safety box and iron. Toilet is well equipped and supplied with the necessary acessories as shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, shaving kit, tooth kit, comb and sewing kit.
There is welcome fruit basket which will save going out for dinner for late arrivals.
I was on the second floor, which reflected the noise from the street. Again, some families have no constraint over their children playing in the free area each floor, sometimes at odd times.
I tried both breakfast and lunch Buffet. They were both perfect and can suit all tastes even with a diet healthy corner.
Haram is at its doorstop, just facing the north-west women (ladies) area with a short stroll to the male area.
It's really sad to hear that the Hotel is considered for demolision in the next expansion of Haram!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank DrMedhat
Reviewed 6 March 2013

The best and largest rooms in Madinah I tried all hotels but this one is different in service, friendly staff and excellent managment of intercontinental hotels. I would never stay at any other hotel except Dar Al Iman whenever I want to.

Room Tip: Haram view king size bed
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple