“Beautiful comfortable hotel but service needs improvement”

Grand Hyatt Guangzhou
Ranked #17 of 3,523 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We reserved the presidential suite at the hotel, and the suite was amazing and huge (nearly 2000SF). Oddly though, there was no hotel information provided in the suite - we had no idea how to work some of the kitchen machines, such as the cappuccino maker. Plenty of bottled water which was great. Also odd was that after we used glasses or the tea strainer on the first day, these glasses/tea strainer were not replenished. If you use it, you lose it basically. Only one set of silverware provided in the full sized kitchen, although plenty of plates. It was just not very well thought out or stocked for a guest to actually stay there.
We came from the Four Seasons Singapore, where service was generous, amazing and nothing was too difficult. This was a huge contrast to the stoic and unsmiling service of the Grand Hyatt Guangzhou. Everything seemed to be a hassle for the personnel at the Grand Hyatt. I came down with a pretty bad cold, and asked the hotel if there was any medication I could purchase in the hotel, or could have someone purchase for me, and they offered a 10-15 minute walk to a pharmacy. Almost each time we asked the concierge anything, they could not assist. Upon check-out, I was told "just a moment" several times which was no problem. However, after a few minutes, the check-out personnel started helping other people walking up to the desk, despite me standing there at the front. None of the hotel employees were friendly or smiling with the exception of the check-out person when asking me to please give them a high mark when reviewing the hotel.
I am Chinese, so I am not being racist, but the Chinese people really need to learn a few things about hospitality and generosity of spirit and heart.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
ghgz, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to pass on your comments following your recent stay at Grand Hyatt Guangzhou. We have noted your comments on the instructions of using the machine and personnel's hospitality . We would like to take this opportunity to express our appreciation for your constructive feedback. It is indeed of vital importance to us to maintain all facilities in good working condition in order to meet our customers' expectation and every effort will be made to upkeep our standard of service and hospitality at all times. We truly appreciate your kind patronage and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Guangzhou in the near future.

Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

the room was very nice, the staff spoke quiet good english for china, the breakfast was great ! the buffet dinner was good but expensive. so it was a good stay and the transfer shuttle bus to the canton fair was good as well. i can say only 2 negative things about this hotel, when i arrived at 2 am morning there was nobody at the building entrance for helping me with my bags and second
the reception is in the 22nd. floor and my room was in the 4th. floor (bad view at the opposite parking garage) so always going in or out the hotel i had to go first with the elevator in the 22nd. floor to change the elevator going to the groundfloor. but everything else were great and i will stay in this hotel again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
ghgz, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to pass on your comments following your recent stay at Grand Hyatt Guangzhou.We are delighted to hear such valuable compliments from you. We have noted your comments on the morning staff arrangement and the lobby design. We would like to take this opportunity to express our appreciation for your constructive feedback. It is indeed of vital importance to us to maintain all facilities in good working condition in order to meet our customers' expectation and every effort will be made to upkeep our standard of service and hospitality at all times. We truly appreciate your kind patronage and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Guangzhou in the near future.

Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Use this hotel a lot for business and its like my second home.
Every trip is faultless the team are just great. Every little detail is covered, room service is such a treat the food is just delicious and turns up fast.
Restaurants are great with a fab wine list.
I used laundry on my last trip, the clothes came back in this lovely box all wrapped individually and covered with silk!
For me this is the best hotel in GZ can't recommend enough.
Stay here you will not be disappointed

The team should be congratulated!!

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to pass on your comments following your recent stay at Grand Hyatt Guangzhou. Thank you for your valuable compliments. We would like to take this opportunity to express our appreciation for your constructive feedback. It is indeed of vital importance to us to maintain all facilities in good working condition in order to meet our customers' expectation and every effort will be made to upkeep our standard of service and hospitality at all times. We truly appreciate your kind patronage and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Guangzhou in the near future.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

The Good =)
~I alighted from the taxi & the bell-boy who opened my door gave me the warmest welcome greeting I have ever received in all of China.
~Better still? The bell-boy spoke crisp English!

The Bad =(
~Lobby is not on the ground floor.
~No nearby restaurants so having to rely on hotel restaurants will cost you more.

My Tip for future visits:
~Ask politely for a complimentary room upgrade, when checking in.

1  Thank singlish_sg

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to pass on your comments following your recent stay at Grand Hyatt Guangzhou. Thank you for your compliments. Also, we have noted your comments on the lobby design and the procedure of checking-in. We would like to take this opportunity to express our appreciation for your constructive feedback. It is indeed of vital importance to us to maintain all facilities in good working condition in order to meet our customers' expectation and every effort will be made to upkeep our standard of service and hospitality at all times. We truly appreciate your kind patronage and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Guangzhou in the near future.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

one of the best service I've had in hotels.very professional stuff.home away from home.The buffet breakfast was excellent with a wide selection of food and juices.the title (DISAPPOINTED)was that I've booked a garden view room but didn't get one and I didn't realize in the first day as I was tired and went straight to bed .Maybe because I obtained a good price for the room through an agent ???This act a little impact on my stay in this hotel

Room Tip: garden view room are quet I guess

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to pass on your comments following your recent stay at Grand Hyatt Guangzhou. We have noted your comments on the room design and the arrangement of room. We would like to take this opportunity to express our appreciation for your constructive feedback. It is indeed of vital importance to us to maintain all facilities in good working condition in order to meet our customers' expectation and every effort will be made to upkeep our standard of service and hospitality at all times. We truly appreciate your kind patronage and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Guangzhou in the near future.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

The Grand Hyatt Guangzhou has been the highlight of my business trip to China! I stayed on the club floor (20). At first when I saw how the room was laid out I was confused but it grew on me and in the span of one day, I really liked how the room was centered around the bath amenities! But the highlight of the trip was the hotel staff. Courteous, smiling, attentive and very considerate - not to mention English proficiency was awesome! While I am not a frequent visitor to Guangzhou, I would definitely place the Grand Hyatt in the top two hotels at which I have stayed! Lastly both their dinner and breakfast buffets, while a smidge pricey, were well worth at least once eating at! An astounding selection of foods and beverages!

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to pass on your comments following your recent stay at Grand Hyatt Guangzhou.We would like to take this opportunity to express our appreciation for your constructive feedback. It is indeed of vital importance to us to maintain all facilities in good working condition in order to meet our customers' expectation and every effort will be made to upkeep our standard of service and hospitality at all times. We truly appreciate your kind patronage and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Guangzhou in the near future.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Have been staying in this hotel a few times. The room design is weird since you will be greeted with a wall first before being confused by the mirror reflection. I usually ask for the same room since it is confusing when I change room. The bath tub looks like a Japanese tub, small and squarish, suitable for Asians but maybe a bit small for muscular Caucasians. However, overall the service here is better than other 5 and 6 star hotels, and that's the reason I come back often. They make you feel like coming back home after a long day work. The service is prompt and I am delighted with friendly suggestions here and there to make my stay comfortable. They are open to take in suggestion also, especially on maintaining food quality, something that I mind very much in China. Do try the gym and swimming pool, as they are well maintained. Overall it's a value for money hotel

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the garden, you can see beautiful scenery from the room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
ghgz, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013