“Trip to Guangzhou Jan 2014” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hyatt Guangzhou

Grand Hyatt Guangzhou
Ranked #11 of 3,376 Hotels in Guangzhou
Dublin, Ireland
“Trip to Guangzhou Jan 2014”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel recently for a 3GPP conference. I have stayed in many Chinese hotels for these conferences and this hotel rates right up at the top. It met all the expectations that you could have of top end brand but what i liked most about this stay was the attentive and friendly disposition of all the staff I encountered.

My stay started with an airport pick up in the hotel car, which although expensive it was very comfortable and the in car WiFi was much appreciated.

My room was on the 10th floor, it was large by any standard. As mentioned in other reviews the shower/bath are at the centre of the room. I quite liked this configuration.

I took breakfast every morning, and the buffet selection was excellent: a huge choice of both western and asian foods. I used the gym most mornings and this was well equipped and never very busy.

I took lunch a couple of times in the hotel restaurant which was a very good lunch special.
I had dinner as room service a few nights again this was up to scratch.

Check in and out was both friendly and painless.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ghgz, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Guangzhou, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to pass on your comments following your recent stay at Grand Hyatt Guangzhou.We would like to take this opportunity to express our appreciation for your constructive feedback.We truly appreciate your kind patronage and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Guangzhou in the near future. Wish you have a nice day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

I have to say I like the room so much as it is so cozy and functional! Every inch of the space has been maximumly used! And I have a nice city view in front of me! Plus this is really a great location for me. Service is good as well. I can't wait to come back in April again to write my second stay over review here! As love at the first sight, my first stay over experience might be a bit blind. ;) Or it will wow me again. We will see!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to pass on your comments following your recent stay at Grand Hyatt Guangzhou.We would like to take this opportunity to express our appreciation for your constructive feedback.We truly appreciate your kind patronage and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Guangzhou in the near future. Wish you have a lovely day!
Fountain Valley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Stayed at the hotel for two nights meeting with customers in the area. I found the hotel is located just few min. walking from a shopping mall which is also a subway station. The hotel is clean and the staff is friendly up to good Hyatt standard. Facilities are modern and comfortable to stay .

I had a very late flight from CAN to LAX at 9:00 pm, being an elite member of the hotel, they gave me late check out at 5:00 pm. This is certainly helpful!

Mr. David Chan, the GM of the hotel, is a friendly and considerate person. I really appreciate their guest services making guests feeling welcome attitude.

Room Tip: The subway at Guangzhou is very crowded. If it is not really necessary, avoid to use it especially...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

The hotel staff were the most friendly and helpful of any I have ever dealt with. There's a sky lobby in this hotel which was fun but made check in a little inconvenient. The gym facility is adequate and the spa looked very nice (I didn't use it). There's a park area you can run in at the front of the hotel and the breakfast was awesome. Probably the best food selection I've ever experienced at a hotel. This is best Hyatt Hotel in China.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Good: Aah finally a hotel that is unisex in style and considerate in he and she ergonomics; ultra modern and cool; where the lighting is good and I don't look like a clown post-make up- stepping out into the day, and the buffet feels like this endless river of lush food that I simply can't bear to leave...
bad: the bathroom is in the center of the room, a bit bizarre. You go around the entire space a few times before you can find your way to the bed again...
Ugly: a little over the top on tech - the last thing a traveler wants to do is try to figure out how to switch off that idiotic TV showing you the 14 wonders of Hyatt hotels...

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the park, the green expanse in the middle of the CBD is simply an amazing sight (f...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank She_Exec
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to pass on your comments following your recent stay at Grand Hyatt Guangzhou.We have noted your comments on the check-in procedure.We would like to take this opportunity to express our appreciation for your constructive feedback.We truly appreciate your kind patronage and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Guangzhou in the near future. Wish you have a nice day!
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

There is literally nothing bad I can possibly say about this hotel. I was lucky to live here for a couple weeks, and would go back and any possible chance. The staff were wonderful, knew fluent English, and always had something nice to say, or suggestion of things going on in the city. I stayed on the executive floor, and the food they provided was amazing. The liquor selection was also great. The pool was AMAZING, with one of the best views in the city.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to pass on your comments following your stay at Grand Hyatt Guangzhou.We would like to take this opportunity to express our appreciation for your constructive feedback. We truly appreciate your kind patronage and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Guangzhou in the near future.
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel for five days on a business trip. It is a Grand Hyatt, which sets expectations high. They are mostly met when it comes to the facilities. The hotel is nested next to a beautiful park reminding of the New York Central Park, a refreshing site for a business traveler to China. Rooms are spacious, quiet and comfortable with somewhat unusually open layout. By the 4th day I kind of missed the usual layout. But I admired the courage to get out of the cookie-cutter room layout and also the ability to watch and listen to the TV from anywhere (shower, bathroom, while brushing teeth). Attention to detail, such as power outlet for cellphone charging in the night stand, ingenious lighting, electric curtains, complementary water bottles and super nice bathroom accessories including loofah replaced daily make you feel that the management cares about you. The interior design of the hotel common areas is beautiful: even the long and dark corridors leading to rooms are made pleasant by a combination of lighting, generous space and creative flooring design. The recreational facilities are what you would expect from a Grand Hyatt in China: awesome gym/fitness room, nice lap pool and sauna/spa.
On the negative side, there is the hotel layout issue though that many other reviewers commented on as well: the hotel lobby is on the 21st floor and you need to make a stop there any time you go from your room anywhere but to a hotel restaurant or a gym. My room was on the 4th floor and my meeting rooms were on the 3rd floor. To go from one to the other I always had to go up to the 21st floor first and then change the elevator to go back down again. Same procedure if you want to leave the hotel. Also, thought the hotel faces the park, my room faced a faceless highrise and was quite dark.
Normally, my review could have ended here with a 4 star review.
However, there is the issue of food: there are no food options within reasonable walking distance from the hotel. And the food prices in the hotel are exorbitant: $50 for a lunch buffet, $85 for a dinner buffet without any drinks. You will pay $8 for a can of soda and $18 for an 800 ml (25 ounce) bottle of still water with your lunch. I work for a Fortune 500 company and my meal allowance could not pay for a simple meal in this hotel. A hotel that charges so much calls for much higher level of scrutiny, in which case the following other issues need to be mentioned:
- The breakfast buffet (included in my rate) is subpar. Though the decor is beautiful, the food selection is limited and plain. There is no consideration for vegetarians or people with special diets: same utensils are to be used to grab a piece of ham and a slice of tomato.
- Getting a taxi to go anywhere is very difficult and requires budgeting additional 15-20 minutes of time. There is no taxi stand in front of the hotel or any other system for getting taxis to guests quickly. The bell boys have to go out on the street and stop a taxi for you. That may take a long time.
- When I asked for a hotel-arranged car to take me to the airport (I asked in the morning for the same afternoon) the concierge told me that none are available and that was the end of the discussion. It seemed like there were no cars for hire in Guangzhou. It was the same with the river cruise tickets: he told me where I can get them myself.
- The hotel advertises a 25 meter pool. The pool is actually only about 15 meters long.
- There is a beautiful work desk in the room. But no power outlets anywhere near it. So the desk is more to look at than to use it.
- The quality of service is achieved by crowding: large number of servers doing robotic tasks.
All in all, it is a good hotel where you will have to make special and elaborate arrangements for the food at acceptable prices. It is not a worry-free stay. 3 stars.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the park are absolutely better. Try to avoid the rooms facing the adjacent buildin...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank axc4466
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to pass on your comments following your stay at Grand Hyatt Guangzhou. We have noted your comments on the food price and other issues. We would like to take this opportunity to express our appreciation for your constructive feedback. We truly appreciate your kind patronage and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Guangzhou in the near future.