“Nice Stay, with a tasty twist!”

Starway Hotel Guangzhou Huanshi East Road
Ranked #105 of 3,408 Hotels in Guangzhou
London, United Kingdom
“Nice Stay, with a tasty twist!”
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one night during a tour of China with my girlfriend. The hotel is on one of the main road's going through Guanzhou, my first suggestion is to have the address of the hotel written down clearly in Chinese. Experience shows me that if you don't, a lot of taxi drivers will take the 'long way' to get there, some even do this if you have the right address! This advice goes for any westerners staying in China in general.

Anyway, on to check in. This was simple enough and they had a good number of staff operating check in - I recall that three seperate check in desks were open which meant nobody checking in waited a long time. You are issued with a voucher for a free glass of wine on check in which is a nice touch - the wine is good - we used our vouchers on a glass of Bordeaux.

We were then taken to our room. I was happy that the advertised pictures matched the actual room, a lot of the time I find myself disappointed that the advertised pics were taken years ago and the furniture has become degraded or changed - this was not the case with this hotel. The linen was completely fresh. TV was good and had a good selection of Western channels. The bathroom was clean and the shower had excellent pressure, 5/5 for the room and facilities, nothing was broken, rooms were as advertised and everything worked! I emphasise this as people are very quick to criticise when something does go wrong (rightly so as well if you are are a paying customer), but it's only fair to reciprocate when everything about the room and facilities is perfect and in this hotel everything was.

We ate in the hotel restaurant during our stay. We both had beef burger and chips - the menu from what I recall wasn't overly Chinese - seemed 50% Chinese and 50% Western. The food was distinctly average and for China was overpriced, I think our burgers ran to £7-8 each and they were on the lunch special as well. The meal was made that much sweeter due to the free glasses of wine that we had, as mentioned above this was a tasty glass of Bordeaux and the quality did not appear to be skimped on.

If you are in to wine, the concept of this hotel is fantastic. I have travelled extensively across the world but have never been anywhere with such a focus on wine. On entering the hotel there is a huge wine shop with a deep cellar selling wine from literally all over the world. I think the owner of the hotel probably ran the wine shop initially and then developed the hotel after as the concept is unusual but very good, the quality of the offerings is certainly varied and wine fans would not be disappointed. I'm not a huge fan of wine myself but I do take pleasure in seeing such emphasis and passion going in to a hotel's focus and this was abundantly clear during my stay at the Jovenstars.

Jovenstars, you have got it right. Your pricing is excellent, your staff know what they are doing. You maintain your rooms to a high standard and your hotel sub-focus (wine) is terrific - 10/10.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Bangkok
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Take a short break at this wine theme hotel with a comfortable stay.
International breakfast buffet was enough to clarify 4 star for this hotel.
Free wifi available in the lobby only.
Room was spacious for city living with all required facilities and amenities.

Room Tip: View from the back would be perfect with high floor and bring your own wifi router to enhance your I...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
San Diego, California
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Was there for the Canton Fair, hotels in Guangzhou for this season are awful expensive, this hotel had very good price compared to the other I've been before, location is great, just a few minutes walk from the metro, very handy in China, since moving by taxi is cheap, but complicated (communication) Hotel has shuttle to the Canton fair, takes about 20 to 30 min to get there. They have a restaurant there if you get hungry but you can also walk close to the hotel there are many shops you can buy fresh fruit or what ever you feel you dare to eat. Breakfast is good, not excellent. Staff had decent English. Room was very clean, internet service included via Ethernet, I I set up my personal hotspot with my laptop and I was fully connected, iPhone and laptop! shower and restroom was very clean, I have no complainant at all, very happy with my stay!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Hobart
Reviewed 3 October 2012

This was the first stop on our China holiday and we were very impressed. The hotel is conveniently located close to the extremely efficient (and cheap) Gunagzhou subway system. Staff very friendly and helpful, however Engligh is still a bit of a problem but easily overcome with a little perserverence. The rooms we had were excellent, modern and clean and with good facilities. The shower in particualr was fantastic and the beds clean and comfortable. Overall I highly recommend this property, especially given the cost which by western standards is extremely cheap.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank samoht103
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Reasonably priced hotel and the rooms are OK except for the smell... I'm a smoker but prefer to stay in non-smoking rooms because I never smoke where I sleep. My non-smoking room was unbelievably smelly... Even after being in the room for a couple of hours, I could still smell the stench of extremely stale smoke. When I mentioned it to the staff (in Chinese) they just shrugged it off and didn't do anything. I understand that this is China, but the smell was beyond anything I've encountered before.
I recommend getting a room facing away from the road. The first room they took me to was very noisy as well as smelly. When I mentioned the noise, they changed my room without a problem.
The location is quite good - about a 10 minute walk from the Garden hotel area and two minutes to the Ouzhuang metro station.
If you're not an early riser, make sure you have a do not disturb sign in your room. I didn't have one and got woken up at 8:30am with the cleaners coming in. They had to get a do not disturb sign from their trolley for me. Then I got woken again with management calling to see if I wanted my room cleaned that day. That was a bit annoying.
Aside from those two issues, everything was fine, although I doubt I'll stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing away from the road.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Visited on business trip with my family. At first was put off by location, but that soon changed. Easy taxi rides to all areas of city. Also, if you are interested in walking to shopping, food, groceries, it's easy! (See below for more info.)

Prompt check-in and decent English. The room we stayed i was modern and clean, especially the bathroom. Breakfast is included and we were more than satisfied -- it did offer a few western items and good coffee.

The road out front of the hotel (Huanshi) is busy and difficult to cross. However, across the street is a Subway sandwich shop and several local vendors. We bought food, water, snacks, and even socks! Subway is very nearby and easy to access. The zoo is a 10rmb taxi ride away. We would have no hesitation to staying here again.

Note on neighborhood walking: if you exit the hotel and turn right, walk ab it down Huanshi Road, then turn right on Nong Lin Xia Lu. If you continue down this road there is a lovely neighborhood! Lots of shops, a grocery store in the basement of a huge department store, many places to eat etc. Great people watching. There is even a 2 rmb shop that is fun for small souvenirs or assorted crap. My family and I loved it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank kcemail2001
Belgium
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I just came back from a 4 day business stay at the Jovenstars Hotel in Guangzhou.
Arrival from the airport to the hotel was a little bit difficult as most taxi drivers don't know the hotel by name. So please be prepared yourself to guide your driver the following days.

Check-inn was quick and easy (although our first appointed room was a smoking room, it was quickly changed to a non-smoking room).

The Deluxe room was big enough for 2 people, and al was clean and modern. The internet connection in the room was good, but unfortunately not wireless. WiFi is available in the lobby area.

Breakfast was good, with a selection of English breakfast and some Chinese dishes. Fresh orange juice, fruit, coffee and thee.

It is a little difficult to get a taxi in front of the hotel, so it is easier to take the subway (Ouzhong station). You can ask for a subway map at the reception. Entrance C of the subway station is 100m to your right if you leave the hotel.

The only negative from our stay was that they tried to charge a chocolate from the mini-bar when we checked out. We were sure that we didn't use the mini-bar in our room.
But overall we would definitely come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking room when you arrive at the reception, and go and check the room before settel...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business