Starway Hotel Guangzhou Huanshi East Road
US$166
Hotels.com
US$262
Hotels.com
The Garden Hotel Guangzhou(Guangzhou)
US$232
Trip.com
Dongfang Hotel(Guangzhou)
US$122
US$97
All reviewsclean hotelconvenient locationrooms are spaciousnice staybudget hotelouzhuangsubwaytoiletries
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 May 2013

The location of the hotel is quite central. The staff at the reception was english speaking which was very helpful. Check in was quick. The rooms were quite spacious. Bathrooms also decent size but there was some problem with the flushing system which was sorted out instantly. Housekeeping was good. Breakfast options were many and the taste was also good. Lot of non chinese dishes were there in the menu. We visited during the Canton fair 2013, so a lot of people were there in the hotel but the service never suffered. Well managed and clean hotel. Would surely recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floor
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Was perfect for me, in terms of location, value for money.

Metro entrance just outside the building. not very far from the Guangzhou railway station.

Only onething, which I generally don't like is, that the reception is not on the ground floor, need to go to level 3 for Checkin, Otherwise perfect.

Room Tip: non Smoking, higher floors on the back side. Front side may be noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Just want to share my bad experience with this hotel which I stayed recently. I checked in the hotel at 2.30am and discovered one of the drinking glass is cracked and chipped. I thought no hurry to report. So waited till I went out next day morning. To my surprise, instead of changing a new one for me, they turned around to say that I broke it and insisted that I pay for it. Their attitude was so bad that I cut short my stay at this hotel and checked out the next day!
BTW, if you're not able to sleep on a hard bed, don't choose this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one night during a tour of China with my girlfriend. The hotel is on one of the main road's going through Guanzhou, my first suggestion is to have the address of the hotel written down clearly in Chinese. Experience shows me that if you don't, a lot of taxi drivers will take the 'long way' to get there, some even do this if you have the right address! This advice goes for any westerners staying in China in general.

Anyway, on to check in. This was simple enough and they had a good number of staff operating check in - I recall that three seperate check in desks were open which meant nobody checking in waited a long time. You are issued with a voucher for a free glass of wine on check in which is a nice touch - the wine is good - we used our vouchers on a glass of Bordeaux.

We were then taken to our room. I was happy that the advertised pictures matched the actual room, a lot of the time I find myself disappointed that the advertised pics were taken years ago and the furniture has become degraded or changed - this was not the case with this hotel. The linen was completely fresh. TV was good and had a good selection of Western channels. The bathroom was clean and the shower had excellent pressure, 5/5 for the room and facilities, nothing was broken, rooms were as advertised and everything worked! I emphasise this as people are very quick to criticise when something does go wrong (rightly so as well if you are are a paying customer), but it's only fair to reciprocate when everything about the room and facilities is perfect and in this hotel everything was.

We ate in the hotel restaurant during our stay. We both had beef burger and chips - the menu from what I recall wasn't overly Chinese - seemed 50% Chinese and 50% Western. The food was distinctly average and for China was overpriced, I think our burgers ran to £7-8 each and they were on the lunch special as well. The meal was made that much sweeter due to the free glasses of wine that we had, as mentioned above this was a tasty glass of Bordeaux and the quality did not appear to be skimped on.

If you are in to wine, the concept of this hotel is fantastic. I have travelled extensively across the world but have never been anywhere with such a focus on wine. On entering the hotel there is a huge wine shop with a deep cellar selling wine from literally all over the world. I think the owner of the hotel probably ran the wine shop initially and then developed the hotel after as the concept is unusual but very good, the quality of the offerings is certainly varied and wine fans would not be disappointed. I'm not a huge fan of wine myself but I do take pleasure in seeing such emphasis and passion going in to a hotel's focus and this was abundantly clear during my stay at the Jovenstars.

Jovenstars, you have got it right. Your pricing is excellent, your staff know what they are doing. You maintain your rooms to a high standard and your hotel sub-focus (wine) is terrific - 10/10.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Take a short break at this wine theme hotel with a comfortable stay.
International breakfast buffet was enough to clarify 4 star for this hotel.
Free wifi available in the lobby only.
Room was spacious for city living with all required facilities and amenities.

Room Tip: View from the back would be perfect with high floor and bring your own wifi router to enhance your Internet life
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends