“Not recommended for non-Chinese”

Southern Airline Pearl Hotel
Ranked #1,568 of 3,562 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a night for a business trip.
Wasn't collected from airport as flight from PVG was delayed. Check in was very slow due to poor English and issues processing credit card.
Room was large but no mini bar except for a bottle of Chinese red wine? Shower didn't work at all.
The buffet breakfast had no juice, coffee or fruit selection.
I will not go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank CDinBKK

Reviewed 22 October 2011

The best thing that this hotel has going for it is location. It is literally between the two runways of Baiyun airport and a long stone's throw from the terminal. Other than that, it is a generic airport hotel. Rooms are adequate although the beds were a bit harder than I usually prefer. TV had a serious lack of foreign language options. Breakfast was tasty and filling provided you are happy with Cantonese style. Eggs, coffee and other western options were totally lacking. A handful of staff spoke English but all of them know how to parrot "Good morning", even when it's not actually morning.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank SeanMendis
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Beautiful lobby.
Check-in, very limited English.
Rooms are beautiful and comforable.
This hotel is out of the way, nothing close. You will need a taxi to get anywhere.
Restaurant mostly Asian food, very limited Western food selection...but the food was GOOD!
Stayed here for one night, good experience...would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hwndrmr
Reviewed 24 July 2010

This hotel is not for non-Chinese. Here's the story

1. Shuttle scheduled to meet us at the airport arrived only after we called and waited 20 minutes
2. Staff couldn't speak english. I wanted to know if they had a place where I could work out - my question was greeted with a blank stare. So I used every synonym I could think of for Health Club. When that didn't work I was asked to write it down: "Health Club" and "Gym" didn't result in the slightest glimmer of recognition. I'm told by people all over the world how easy it is to understand me because I speak clearly and slowly when around non native English speakers. This was exasperating.
3. Credit card issue could not be resolved - they demanded a PIN. That credit card never needs a pin. Never once did the receptionist offer to get a manager or find someone more capable in english. We finally called our China sales manager to translate. But the issue could not be resolved
4. Restrooms in the lobby were traditional squatters
5. All in all it was the most frustrating hotel experience I have ever had, anywhere in the world. I will say though that through it all they smiled the whole time.

And after awhile I realized that this hotel is not designed to support non-Chinese and we weren't a match. We would be happier somewhere else and they would be happier if we went somewhere else.

We went to the Pullman, a little more expensive, but quality of registration experience could not be compared. The Pullman is a fantastic airport location with great service, you'll be happier there if you can live with the higher price.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
5  Thank hamercaver
Reviewed 13 July 2010

The staff were quite friendly at Check In and some spoke a "passable" level of English. However the "Meet & Greet" service was excellent and the young man was extremely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 February 2010

When I came from Shenzhen to go to Guangzhou airport, I decide I stayed there for one night. It was located far from the city and if you want a taxi maybe you must wait for more than one hour. Last time finally I decide to go to airport with the bus which belongs to hotel and from there I went to Beijing Lu, I pay around 130 RMB for this distance. In the room there was no water and the refrigerator was empty, I called three times to room service at last someone bring water for me. They changed dollar to RMB at rate of 6:1, but all hotels change it at the rate of 6.75:1. The room was not quiet and if someone from other rooms went out the sound of the door was heard. All employee whom I talked with them, were polite. The design, the material and structure of the hotel was very good, but the rooms were not clean.
All people who stayed there are the employee of some airline.
P.S. Chinese people called this hotel with another name. The name is Nan Hang Ming Zhu Hotel

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank h_khozooei
Reviewed 27 November 2009

It is close to the airport. Otherwise a typical Chinese 2-3 star hotel but overpriced for that. Not to be recommended if you do not need to stay close to the airport.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business