“very tough bed”

Landmark International Hotel Science City Hotel
Ranked #1,314 of 3,522 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 10 September 2012

i cannot sleep in such tough bed. i am not a princess on pea. the bed it too tough to sleep, even though i have put a quilted cover on the bed.
and the breakfast is very simple and awful.
the first day i almost couldn't sleep....
and the waiter in the hotel is not very kind. i want a double side fried egg. they give a single side one. and give me a face that he don't care whether what you need is.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank xue r

Reviewed 12 August 2012

Located in the Tian He district, a block away from the Westin and 5 min walk from the Linhexi metro stop. Great central location.

Rooms are standard and clean however the beds are quite hard. Not an issue for us but for some travelers used to a softer bed getting a good night's sleep may prove difficult. Street noise at night is minimal and the air con works well. Bathrooms are more spacious than expected and good water pressure in the shower. Glass walls for the bathroom and a shared sliding glass door (partially frosted) for the shower and toilet may be too intimate for some.

Hotel breakfast is in the Chinese fashion, i.e., fried noodles, egg rolls, hard-boiled eggs, bacon, congeee, assorted pickles; fresh fruit. There is also coffee, tea and a limited selection of juice (from concentrate). If you are used to an east-Asian breakfast it is sufficient albeit limited. If not McD's, Starbucks and the Westin are all a stone's throw away.

Free and speedy wi-fi all over the hotel.

Hotel staff are friendly but be able to speak some Mandarin as English skills are limited for all except a handful of front desk staff.

Overall for RMB 588 / night inclusive of wi-fi and breakfast in this location you really can't do any better unless you're on an expense account staying a block away at the Westin.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I recently stayed in this hotel for 4 nights and had an ok experience. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros
-Very good location, walking distance to the train station, shopping and restaurants.
-Very affordable
-Room was clean

Cons
-Service was not great. Everyone seemed flustered at the desk when I checked in and no one offered to help me with my luggage (a first in China). I tried to call down a request an iron and my request was not fulfilled. I finally had to walk down to the desk and ask in person for an iron.
-No iron in room
-Beds were rock hard (I know being a westerner that I'm likely spoiled with soft beds)

Overall I would probably stay here again, as it is just for business. If it were for pleasure, I would likely stay at a higher rated hotel with better dining options. I do hear the spa in the hotel is good, although I did not have an opportunity to try it.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 December 2011

The beds are HARD as rock and the bath room is definitely not suitable for 2 person on a business trip. All of the staffs are rude even when we can communicate in mandarin. The central heater is never switched on and the service staff will only come into your room to do useless adjustments to the heater switches. When reported to the reception, their response was 'our front desk is cold' (thats too bad for the visitors).

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2010

My wife and I got what I believe was called a "superior" room, one step above the starting level. We booked online, getting a room with a twin bed, and discovered our room had two twins. No problems.

The hotel has staff that speaks English. This is always good to know for us foreigners.

If I shared a room with a business partner, I would have been in for a shock. The bathroom has no door. It has a frosted glass wall separating it from the bedroom area. There was a sliding glass door that blocked either the toilet or the shower. If one of average height walked in to the bathroom while someone was in there, one could see a little too much, as only 2/3rds or less of the sliding door was frosted. This was unsettling and inconvenient. There was also a wall-length mirror in the bathroom. This, in combination with the two beds in the room, sent a mixed message: Was it meant for friends and business partners, or for lovers? Nevertheless, the sliding glass door was effective at sealing in unpleasant noises.

As far as I can tell, frosted glass is a trend in Chinese bathrooms, though I am unsure if they are a trend in the West. I think many American travelers would be more comfortable with a traditional bathroom without the glass and with a wooden door to enclose it.

The bed was comfortable, our night's rest was peaceful and quiet. The price was fair. The location was convenient, located near the East Train Station and a shopping district, not to mention the US Consulate. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Catch153
Reviewed 10 May 2010

This hotel is good value for the money ,the service is outstanding ,we are from Canada so the food is not what we really like ,but the hotel has a great breakfast with north american food ,we found a great Italian restaurant called dannys Google the location the food is awesome if you not into the chinese food ,and its only a ten rmb ride from the hotel

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2010

If you're looking for a nice place to stay at an affordable price, this place is for you. I attended the Canton Fair last October in Guangzhou. I travelled with my brother and a friend. We were three in the room. There is no charge for the extra-person. However, the buffet breakfast is for two only. You have to pay around 168 RMB for the breakfast. We didn't get another buffet breakfast since it's costly. The food outside the hotel costs around 13 RMB (at the cheapest price).

The lobby is spacious. The ceiling in the hallways is a bit low. My brother can touch the ceiling. But when we got to our room, the ceiling is high enough. The room was neat and tidy. Our room has a window overviewing the restaurants and roads. In addition, there is complimentary bottled water everyday. There is also a business center where you can print your business reports or university stuff. The hotel sits in a good location. It is walking distance to the railway station. It will take you around 10-15 minutes to get to the train. It is also near Jinguo Hotel where we claimed our IC Badges for the fair. The hotel also services a free bus to the Canton Fair. On our first day, the bus left us. We got a taxi cab. It cost us around 180 RMB from the hotel to the Pazhou Complex. And the travel time is around 15-30 minutes.

We haven't checked out the nightlife because we were tired from the fair. On our last day, we checked out the Chimelong rides. It's a good ride for yuppies. We plan to return for the safari and theater acts this year. Also, the staffs were friendly. They can speak English and guided us to the Chimelong center.

Overall, I recommend this hotel to yuppies who would like to check Guangzhou's Canton Fairs.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business