“To Stay or to Stay Away, see if you have the Say”

Gold Coast Marina Club Guangzou
Gold Coast Marina Club Guangzou
Ranked #1,562 of 3,396 Hotels in Guangzhou
Hong Kong, China
“To Stay or to Stay Away, see if you have the Say”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was on business trip and the reservation was made by the organizer, I was not the one to pay so I didn't rate the value below.

I stayed there for a week, and I would say please don't be misled by words like Gold Coast or Marina or Club, the hotel has, I suggest, nothing to do with any of them. It is not a resort.

Location
The location sucks. It is not a resort, but what about a busniess hotel? It is far away from the subway I think. I say I think because I dun even know how far away is the subway station. Apart from the taxis I took when I returned to the hotel on sereral occasions, I have never seen more than two taxis driving past the hotel main door. Even when I returned to the hotel by taxi, many drivers didn't want to drive in to drop me off at the main door, I was only dropped off at the junction with the main road, or even sometimes the opposite side of the road. Therefore, it was simply a mission impossible to get a taxi right at the door. I have tried to seek assistance from the reception counter (they don't seem to have a concierge, or it has already merged with the reception?) by asking them to get me a taxi by all means. However, I was simply told that it was difficult to get one due to peak hours/rain/drivers' handover time/peak hours + rain/all of the above. Then how about walking out a bit and giving it a try at the main road junction? Yes, the chance is a bit higher than mission impossible if the driver is willing to go to your destination.

Luckily, there is a supermarket just across the road, and there are some restaurants/ cafes within 10-minute walk.

Room
It is said that the rooms facing the Parl River have great view. Welll, mine was facing the other side, ie. the main road, and the supposedly transparent window pane looked grey, so I all along had the curtain closed.

I stayed in a double-bed room alone, it is neat but a bit old and shabby. I was doubtful about the cleanliness of towels, so I used my own instead.

The air-conditioning was not too strong, but it was stronger than many others in China, which would only take down the temperature by 2 degrees celsius.

The lighting of the room was not too satisfactory. If one has to doing some reading for your work, one has to do it outside the wardrobe, or go into the bathroom direct. Although there was a button named "Floor Lamp" on the bed panel, there was no such device inside the room.

As soon as I checked in, I found the fridge not working. I called the housekeeping and I was told to switch on the "Floor Lamp" for that. The fridge which had replaced the lamp, however, did not work at all. I called the housekeeping again and it was proved that the socket was not working. Finally, I was provided with 2 extension cords to connect the fridge from another faraway socket.

The interesting part was a 1-metre tall magazine rack placed next to the window. There were severl magazines on it and the latest issue was one of 2011.

Correct, breakfast included. It was in buffet-style, but they were serving something different from ordinary breakfast buffet. I can tell you, the food was decent and tatsted all right.

I have tried the Chinese restaurant adjacent to the hotel (it may not be the Chinese restaurant of the hotel as there is another one on the top floor), and the food sucks.

I have spent an hour or so at the bar on the 5th floor before my departure. It was quiet and the view was not bad. Well, nothing more than that.

Apart from the helplessness in taxi-calling, most of the staff members there were quite helpful.

Free in-room wifi and almost every corner in the hotel earns my applause.

To conclude, I find there's no reason to stay there no matter you are touring Guangzhou or having a business trip. if you have the say, don't stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Good part: fantastic river view. Provides an easy stroke along the river. What else? That's about it.

The hotel is quite rundown. The carpet in the hallway smells really bad. Many people smoke, despite the non-smoking sign. Breakfast is among the worst I've had. The coffee is basically colored water. (When travel in China, bring your own coffee! This is a lesson I learned many years ago. Things haven't changed much, but at least now you can find Starbucks in bigger cities.) No wifi in room. The wifi in the lobby is very erratic.

Room Tip: If you must stay there, definitely choose a room overlooking the river. That compensates a lot.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Linbeiwuji

Travellers are raving about these Guangzhou hotels

Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

I attended a meeting and the organizer booked it for all the participants. The hotel is old (probably had its better days in the late 1980s or early 1990s) and the room is inadequate: air-con is very noisy and the room itself is rather dusty. The shampoo seems to be staying there for months before my discovery. Can't find a reason to pick this hotel if you'll have to pay for it. Other than its riverside location (and so you'll probably have a view at the lift area and join a walk in the evening), I can hardly think of a positive note on it. Surely not for a tourist.

Room Tip: No, as far as I'm aware of, all of them are pretty disappointing.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Bally1966
Laguna Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

It's an older hotel, but they have done some renovations to make the rooms look clean and more updated. The beds were hard, but you just have to adjust as you're experiencing another culture. Nonetheless, the view of the Pearl River was beautiful.

The staff seems very nice and they want to help, but they don't speak much english. Asking them for simple things like an iron or to dry clean clothes was such a pain.

They included free breakfast in the morning which was decent and convenient. They also offer free wi-fi, but don't expect to get internet connection from your room. I had to skype my family from the lobby area since there was no wi-fi access in my room. This was quite inconvenient.

Room Tip: I think the rooms in the higher floors are better and make sure you get a room facing the Pearl Rive...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2010

no service,bed hard as a rock,breakfast is a joke,do not even think about staying there.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Pune, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2009

For the price its not a good place.
The breakfast is inadequate for non-Chinese
The staff does not understand English at all
The toilet is small and shabby.
The whole place looks run down
The mattress is rock hard and cant get sleep
Outside lights disturb the sleep too

• Liked — the view from my room, looking at the Pearl River
  • Disliked — the dirty toilets
  • Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Perth, Autralia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2009

I would rate this as a clean ok value 3 star hotel with the bonus of one fo the best views of the city.

We found this hotel to be very much more targeted for a domestic chinese market rather than international guests. Firstly there were very few staff that spoke english. The beds were rock hard, this is a chinese preference that we found difficult to adjust to. There were no non-smoking floors. There were 116 TV channels but only 2 were not in chinese. You do however get free internet connection so I would recommend you bring your laptop as an entertainment source if you don't speak chinese.

On the positive side the hotel has great view over the pearl river and guangzhou. It is a very pretty city when lit up at night. The rooms are clean and the staff are friendly and helpful after they figure out what you are asking for.

We travelled with an elderly member requiring more help and assistance and the staff were always very helpful and accomodating.

The included breakfasts were inconsistent ranging from good to awful. you're much better off going to the restaurant on the 16th floor or the ground floor for breakfast.

The bathroom was poorly lit and the shower was a dribble of water and didn't drain well.

The climate control could only cool or fan, so we spent the first couple of nights freezing in the misguided belief that it would heat the room.

• Liked — the spectacular views
  • Disliked — the hard beds
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)