“Westin beware of Sheraton & W” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Guangzhou

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Westin Guangzhou
Ranked #19 of 3,387 Hotels in Guangzhou
Milwaukee
“Westin beware of Sheraton & W”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

This was the second time I stayed at The Westin in Guangzhou. It will most likely be my last. I tried resolving my issue at the front desk at check in, apparently no one has any authority to make changes or exceptions. Even though I was willing to pay the difference.

High Speed internet, ya right! Skype couldn't make a call let alone a video call. We had 3 rooms all different floors. We would meet at Starbucks across the street to do emails at night.

Question to Westin Management... What do you think will happen to your revenue after the Sheraton and W open later this year? If you don't care keep treating Platinum members as you treated me and you'll soon find out.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank JahKim
WestinGuangzhou, Manager at The Westin Guangzhou, responded to this review, 6 May 2011
First of all, thank you for your loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest Program and Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. Actually we guarantee every guest room get 2M broadband widget, but we are still concerning to upgrade our broadband widget. We are highly appreciated with your comments on the internet access that we will consider upgrade our broadband widget to meet the high demand on the in-room internet service. As for the front office experience, I do apologize for that. Please feel free to contact me at sophie.qin@westin.com, so I can investigate this further, as I would appreciate the chance to prevent similar events from occurring.

I appreciate the comments that you have shared as a business traveler and we certainly look forward to your return. We will do our best to make sure your next stay would be rejuvenating and refreshed.

If you have any further questions or concerns, I would be happy to help however I can.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Netanya, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

I recently spent 1 night at the Westin Guangzhou while on business with my wife.

While we didn't really use any of the hotel's facilities, the room itself was great. It was absolutely huge, and to my knowledge was just a standard room. In any other hotel it would be considered a mini suite. It was a corner room which meant it was open on two sides with huge floor to ceiling windows on the side facing downtown. There was a great workspace, a massive kingsize bed (that was a little on the soft side), a sitting area, and a bathroom that opened onto the room with a sliding shutter. There's a separate bath and shower. My wife loved the bath since she could sit in the bath and watch television, I preferred the shower which is one of those awesome rain showers.

Internet was for a price, but to be expected in a 5 star hotel.

Hotel location was fine for us - in the Tianhe area and across the road from a shopping center with some restaurants. Its also a very short distance from the train station where the train from Hong Kong arrives.

Check in was very smooth, and the concierge was exceptionally friendly and helpful.

It wasn't cheap, but certainly not outrageously expensive for a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WestinGuangzhou, Manager at The Westin Guangzhou, responded to this review, 17 April 2011
Thank you so much for choosing The Westin Guangzhou while you are travelling to Guangzhou!! It was such an honor that we could have your detail comments and high valuation regarding to our service. We are highly appreciated for your constructive comments, which are extremly helpful for our imporvement of service and facilities. The highlighted service areas mentioned will lead our exceptional satisfaction to next level. We would highly recommend you to experience our SPA service and Gym facilities while your next stay, as they are the singature service in Westin brand. We look forward to welcoming you again for a renewing experience at The Westin Guangzhou and wish you all the best!
KL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2011

I can't believe the heavenly bed has caused both me and my wife neck pain and back pain for the three nights staying at westin Gz !After one night staying at this room, we requested a change of room hoping the bed is one exception of the famous heavenly bed which I enjoy in other westin hotel!unfortunately both rooms have the same type of bed , basically the middle of bed is too soft without support your back! Do not try your luck here if you have any neck or back problem, this is definitely not right for you!
Don't pay rmb180 for the breakfast is not worth it, variety of breakfast is good but quality and taste is not top five Star!

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank Marcs-Y
WestinGuangzhou, Manager at The Westin Guangzhou, responded to this review, 22 March 2011
Thank you so much for choosing The Westin Guangzhou while you are travelling to Guangzhou!! It was such an honor that we could have your detail comments and high valuation regarding to our service. We are highly appreciated for your constructive comments, which are extremly helpful for our imporvement of service and facilities. We are 100% follow the Heavenly Bed standard, but Heavenly Bed is produced in a rigidity range, maybe we chose the one make you uncomfortable, we are truly apologized for that; our AM team can assist you to do some adjusting next time. The highlighted service areas mentioned will lead our exceptional satisfaction to next level, and the service part you mentioned, we will revert to respective department for further follow-up, we hope that for your next visit, we will bring you a brand new staying experience. We look forward to welcoming you again for a renewing experience at The Westin Guangzhou and wish you all the best!
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2011

I stayed at the Westin, twice 4 weeks apart, with my wife and son. The rooms are large and very comfortable even for 3. We had unbelievable hospitality from ALL the staff. Location near the East Railway station is excellent. One of the best hotels in China. And we enjoyed a a very special dinner buffet in the all day restaurant.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for choosing The Westin Guangzhou while you are travelling to Guangzhou!! It was such an honor that we could have your comments and high valuation regarding to our service. We are highly appreciated for your constructive comments, which are extremly helpful for our imporvement of service and facilities. The highlighted service areas mentioned will lead our exceptional satisfaction to next level. We look forward to welcoming you again for a renewing experience at The Westin Guangzhou and wish you all the best!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2011

The Westin Guangzhou is a very polished Hotel performance that typifies the big brand Hotel experience you encounter in Asia. From the moment I arrived at Guangzhou KCR Station and was ushered by a friendly hostess to a mini van that promptly delivered us to the Hotel I was assured this stay was always going to be very smooth.

Check In was hassle free, friendly and efficient topped off with Tea at the desk whilst the paperwork was done, My bags had long since been taken off us and once I reached the room where promptly reunited with us. The Attendant friendly and efficient was taken by surprised at my insistance that he accept my $5 tip.

The room ( I believe this was a standard room ) was very roomy with a nice bathroom featuring both separate w/c, shower compartments, ample supplies of toiletries and convenience items. A 42” LCD TV, exceptionally nice bed, plenty of storage space, a well equipped not particularly expensive mini bar and of course a great city view to be had from the very comfortable sofa chair rounded at a room that would be hard pressed not to meet the toughest expectations.

Full marks to the Westin Team the room was stocked with plenty of free bottled water as is always the case in China given the tap water issues, additional pillows, plenty of towels and I even noticed that additional stocks of toiletries where supplied when the bed was turned down during the evening. The presentation and cleanliness of the room and the hotel in general was extremely high and there was not the residual smoky smell from cigarettes that I know many of the better hotels in China expend considerable effort to combat.

The Westin Guangzhou is about 5 mins drive from the Main Guangzhou Railway Station and is nearly opposite the CITIC Plaza Shopping Complex which has Subway Station next door to it. In a city as big as Guangzhou picking the right Hotel location wise depends purely on what you want to be close to rather than simply desiring to be close to everything the Westin is located as conveniently as any hotel in Guangzhou realistically if you’re here for tourism.

The City is very suitable for walking given that its very flat, however distances between places can be considerable, best option is to use the very cheap, very efficient and very clean but crowded metro system to get around, This continuously evolving network of mainline and feeder line subways and monorails really demonstrates the level of Chinese mass transport planning and will get you anywhere in the city. Taxi’s are also very cheap a 30min taxi ride across town in rush hour cost maybe $8 to $10 at best.

The Hotel features several restaurants all of which looked pretty solid propositions, ( the idea though of having good Mexican seemed a little unusual in China though ) however this is Guangzhou one of the world culinary capitols so I would suggest speaking to the guys downstairs and get some mighty fine local recommendations ( The nearby Citic Centre has several good offerings if your not up for a trek to seek out the very best )

The Hotel also features all the normal facilities you would generally associate with a property of this type, Pool, Gym and Day Spa etc. A stand out feature of this Hotel however was the Cocktail Bar, A Spanish theme cocktail bar set off the main foyer which dispensed some mighty fine cocktails that where are real credit to the bartenders. I have drank Cocktails all over the world and the one’s dispensed here where top notch – Full Marks to the Booze Wranglers behind the bar!!! )

My only fault with this hotel was I felt the Air Conditioning was set to a level that really dried out the air, particularly in the rooms when sleeping, but this is a minor critic and considering it was winter outside. The Level of English was quite acceptable and looking around the Westin attracts quite a mixture of tourists from all countries. Engagement with staff at all times was very friendly and efficient.

I wouldn’t hesitate for a moment staying here again, Having stayed previously at the Grand Hyatt and several times at the venerable White Swan I am pleased to suggest the Westin is a worthy member of Guangzhou’s top rated hotels. Well done all round and I look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Novemberbravo1974
WestinGuangzhou, Manager at The Westin Guangzhou, responded to this review, 18 February 2011
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2011

This has to be the best Westin hotel I stayed in worldwide ! Very spacious rooms and very comfortable. Modern looking. Recommended highly !

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying at The Westin Guangzhou and additionally we thank you for your constructive comments, which are highly appreciated. The highlighted service areas mentioned will lead our exceptional satisfaction to next level. It was a pity that you will not be back to Guangzhou in a recent time, where the place that full of delicious food and colourful culture. The starwood hotels has managed over 1,000 hotels around the world, we truly hope while you are travelling else where, starwoord hotels will always be your first choice. We look forward to welcoming you again for a renewing experience at The Westin Guangzhou.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2011

This is probably the best hotel I've ever stayed, the room was excellent, the staff smiled at my version of Cantonese and the food was brilliant.

I have no reason to go back to Guangzhou in the near future but might visit China and this region in particular holidaying thanks to the time I had here previously.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business