“Maintained”

The Westin Guangzhou
Ranked #11 of 3,503 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This is my 2nd visit. Nothing change. Still a nice hotel with Starwood standard.
They offer me and my colleague to be at the same lavel even though my colleague is not starwood member.
I still love the columbia coffee provided in room together with coffee maker. I think starwood has the best hotel coffee.
I still dont like the cotton ball provided in the room. Other (smaller) hotel provided square cotton puff which is more suitable.
We can pack our unfinished coffee during breakfast.
I was not feeling well on 2nd day and call the emergency service to ask for inhouse doctor. I was offered a taxi to nearest hospital instead. As I was having food disagreement (which they did not ask), I think doctor on call should be more suitable. Good thing my own medication worked by the time i need to check out.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
TheWestinGuangzhou, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for staying at The Westin Guangzhou and additionally we appreciated your constructive areas of review for which we will investigate your comments thoroughly and action accordingly as we take pride in being renowned for our superior service and quality of hotel. Hence, your comments have been addressed and highlighted to the service areas mentioned to ensure exceptional guest satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you again for a renewing experience at The Westin Guangzhou.

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Stay here twice for my recent business trip, only 5-6 minutes walk to the East Train station & metro station.
Pay about $50 extra for an executive suite on 37 floor and has great view to the park and the football field. This include free access to the 39th fl executive lounge, free wifi & breakfast.
The breakfast & wifi will cost you about $50 or ¥300 extra for standard room anyway.
The room is very roomy, about 50 sq Meter or around 500 sq ft, very high ceiling.., about 13 ft or more. Clean, modern and yes.. Great mattress !! The bathroom is in decent size with separate shower room, toilet & bathtub, if you like, you have full view of the bathroom through the two side sliding doors. Not a complaint but not so appropriate for business meeting:-) if you know what I mean.
Use the executive lounge instead, the staff is extremely friendly and you can book their meeting room for two hours. One Mac & Window PC with printers are free to use as well. Don't miss their beautiful indoor & outdoor swimming pool on 7th fl, much cleaner than any public spa.
If you don't need the wifi & breakfast, standard room is exactly the same size with a smaller TV. Lots of great restaurant are only steps away.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Darren100fun
Reviewed 17 July 2014

One of the best services provided at this Westin and the Lounge is not half as bad either. I have stayed at this Westin multiple times in the past many years and this Westin recognizes your Starwood Status and treat you accordingly. For that it is appreciated.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Just like every other Westin in China, the rooms are nice and it is a full 5 star hotel. The only thing special about this location is the service. This hotel provides the best service I have experienced from any Starwood hotel. They brought me whatever I needed quickly and with a genuine smile. The bar was great but overpriced. The hotel is very accommodating to Canton Fair travelers.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
TheWestinGuangzhou, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear YosefN,

Thanks for your comments and compliments. We are delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us. At The Westin Guangzhou we are committed to service excellence and to ensure we provide a renewing experience to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Guangzhou in the future.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed in Westin GZ two weeks ago. The hotel is located in a good location, just next to GZ East train station.

The check-in process by Jelly, FO team was very smooth and fast. She was very kind and helpful. My room was on 32 floor with an amazing view, which was face to FC GZ Stadium. I enjoyed the night view from my room.

Jim from Concierge Team was very professional about the sightseeing and restaurants. He assisted us to book the tickets of Chimelong Xiangjiang Safari Park.

The Italian Restaurant was excellent. High quality food and wine.

We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: must stay with the view face to GZ FC stadium
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank santoshuen
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here during the Canton Fair 2014. We knew we wouldn't have a pleasant stay when our initial e-mail communication contact with The Westin Guangzhou hotel after booking online directly were ignored! Prior to our stay (1 month in fact), we had attempted to contact the hotel to enquire/book buffet breakfast for 2. After not hearing from the hotel a week after our initial email enquiry, I emailed them 2 more times within 3 weeks and still no response! It was until I went to the '.com' / Starwood website that I finally received a response! 3.5 weeks later! And the response was not helpful. I'm the end we were glad we didn't have the buffet breakfast as the room service we ordered (we ordered more than 3 times), each time the food quality was below average, don't order the pad thai or pad see eew or any of the breakfast dishes. One time we ordered the Indian Samosas and the Greek yoghurt with herbs dipping sauce which was one of the main component of the dish was not present. We told the room service attended to get it after he did not even realize it was missing until we showed him the menu, and when he did come back (more than 10 minutes later!), what we got was Vanilla flavored yoghurt in a tall glass! Are you kidding me?! What a joke!! Horrible! And by that time our Samosas were cold!!! Never again! We ended up eating at the Cantonese Restaurant on level 4 of the hotel called Hong Mian -highly recommended! The highlight of our stay at The Westin and the Heavenly Bed doesn't ever disappoint.
We stayed in a Deluxe King Room, non-smoking room however on arrival the room smelt like cigarettes. We contacted house keeping and all that could be done is to open the window with a special key and have house keeping air the room and spray air freshener. This only happened on the first night. Mind you we stayed 5 nights at The Westin, and management did not even provide us an option to change rooms! which we felt was very rude of them especially when we booked we specifically stated 'non-smoking' in the room type AND the comments section. Lucky neither of us had bad asthma! There are many other things I could comment on, but it would become a long essay. Overall, big spacious room; if only it didn't smell horribly of cigarettes!, terrible room service food quality (just don't order! Don't do it! Eat out at nearby McDonald's, Starbucks or try Hong Mian the Cantonese Restaurant on level 4), no complimentary wifi; only available in the lobby. On the plus side, there were limited free return bus shuttle service daily to the Canton Fair (check the bus time schedule), on the bus free bottle of water was provided and at the Canton Fair bus headed back to the hotel, free icy cold Coke cans provided. As mentioned, you can't go wrong with the Westin's Heavenly Bed; it never disappoints and I've stayed in many Westin Hotels around the world.

All I can say is The Westin Guangzhou needs to improve food standards and good quality; the food price isn't cheap too so we were expecting better quality and taste for what we pay! Better staff training and better hotel maintenance (on our 3rd night all our lights went off; we had to call Electrical department; spent 10 minutes and got all our power and lights to work).

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Retorogrl
TheWestinGuangzhou, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at The Westin Guangzhou. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and service lapse that you received during your stay. Please be assured we are following up with our relevant Department Heads to ensure this does not happen again. Your comments concerning your communications with hotel and in-room dining experience are appreciated and you are welcome to provide specific comments to us directly if you wish. It is feedback such as yours that helps us to continually improve. Once again, our sincere apologies. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Guangzhou in the future.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

It is up to, if not more than, the standards of a Westin. Staffs at the executive lounge are extremely nice and professional. The five star rating goes for those staffs. View at the executive lounge is also fantastic. I think this hotel offers the best view in Guangzhou.

The elevator is a bit slow but acceptable.

If there is anything that could be improved, the front desk staff that checked me in was not showing any smile or welcome at all.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple