Crowne Plaza Science City
Very Good 4/5
US$157
US$150
Excellent 5/5
All reviewsmad scientistindoor and outdoor poolstired and in needthe hotel shuttle buspool viewasian foodsmall mallnice hotelclub roomcanton fairbusiness triproom was spaciousdinner buffetenjoyed my staynon smokingchinabalconies
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Summary: my English-speaking family of 5 stayed for 3 weeks in October. Spouse worked nearby, I stayed at the hotel most of the time with kids. Very nice hotel, a couple of negatives, mostly positives.
Location: yes, it's a half hour shuttle bus trip to downtown. However, I liked being able to get away from the crowds (I come from a less densely populated area) and the hotel shuttle is free. The shuttle drops off/picks up from the Tianhe district, where you can shop, walk around, catch taxis, or go the metro to get to more interesting parts of the city. I personally found the trip useful to just rest or plan my outing - with kids in tow I always had messy faces/hair to fix. It also being my first time in China I would look out the window and watch China passing by, dictionary in hand to learn another character. Science City itself is quite impressive in concept and nice looking - wide roads, quirky sculptures by the side of the road to create the theme. My only caveat would be that the location of the rendezvous point is not obvious so get the driver to let you off at the pickup point (as advised by a previous review) so you know where it is. The Chinese characters for "Gold Sun building" (in gold) are on the (black) building itself, there is no sign for the "Gold Sun building" in English lettering for non-Chinese speakers. One improvement they could make to the timetable they hand out is give the street name or at least some landmarks (ie, it is on the block up from Victory Plaza, and if underground head towards the signs that say "Guangzhou Book Centre"). The location is fantastic if you have business in science city (which my spouse did). The shuttle times weren't ideal for someone trying to get 3 kids ready and breakfasted for the 9:30 shuttle (next one was at 12 on weekdays, which was too late for us to be setting out) but I suspect the problem rarely arises... besides, there is a 10:30 one in addition on weekends which is much better suited to a non-business schedule. Catching a taxi (if you can catch one - be advised that around 3 or 4pm there is a change-over period and drivers can refuse fares) to the hotel from say Guangzhou Zoo will cost you about 67RMB. At our worst (being lost that is - we didn't think he took us all that way south for fun or profit) it cost 100RMB for a taxi home from Six Banyan Temple. It is best to bring with you the map the hotel provides in your room - at worst, bring the hotel's number so someone can talk to the driver if you get lost. We did not give drivers a chance to refuse us based on the destination - on advice, we got in first, then told them where we wanted to go and I'd sit in the front with the map - usually did the trick.
Cost: be advised that prices during Canton Fair are 3x what they usually are. I would not even raise this as an issue, except that on the first morning we arrived, we encountered the odd (I assume this is China-wide) height-based payment scales. With 2 adults and 3 kids occupying a deluxe club suite for 3 weeks (for a grand total that would make most people's teeth ache) I did not appreciate being told that the 6yo did not eat free as she was judged to be over 1.1m (and I did not have a tape measure to refute this). We made polite inquiry but ended up paying the 72RMB. From then on my spouse (who is the frequent business traveller) resolved to give his breakfast voucher to the 6yo to save his RMB and waistline. Granted, people can over-eat on business trips, especially if buffets are involved, but I did not think this was an auspicious way to start off. We were not charged on subsequent trips down to breakfast as a family but I think this was because we had already been established as longer-staying customers.
Rooms: we had the deluxe club suite which comprised a king, 2 king singles and a lounge room/study (equipped with printer and software so we could do our own printing). All spacious, immaculately kept and everything in working order. Importantly, we have not developed any untoward skin conditions from use of the bath and shower, so standards of hygiene are good. Ample space to keep kids occupied with colouring or play, and there's always the DVD player. Strangely enough, the kids (non-Chinese speaking) formed an attachment to chinese cartoons, and in particular a chinese sheep cartoon - so horizons are being broadened!
Grounds and Amenities: the grounds are lovely and at the time we were there, full of colourful flowers, with benches thoughtfully placed for people to rest. The hotel itself is beautiful, glass and marble, objets d'art and water features all beautifully kept thanks to a hard-working phalanx of housekeepers. There is a library, ample seating around the lobby, there is even a hydroponic garden on the roof of one of the restaurants (best viewed in the morning or afternoon because plants wilt in the heat). There is even a beautifully landscaped park across the road which was a riot of pink/red flowers every time we looked in that direction. On days I did not choose to take the shuttle downtown (the best strategy for holidays with 3 young kids has been to alternate 'outing' and 'rest' days) we spent the day exploring the hotel and grounds. The hotel has bikes and maps for those inclined to go further afield.
Service: The people are friendly and helpful. I have never encountered so many people trying to make sure we were taken care of. Part of it is the pulling power of cute kids, but it is definitely a full-service hotel. Early on in our stay my spouse had an issue with the ATM eating his card. The Assistant Manager followed up with the bank and with us, even on the morning arranging for a car to drive my spouse down to the bank with a staffer to help translate and then to work. This theme was reinforced by every Guest Relations officer we encountered (suited-up English-speaking staff). We were there for so long the area manager even went out of his way to organize a play date for my kids. I have also at various times rung down to the front desk for a small phillips head screwdriver, a sewing kit, and a change of printer ink. All arrived within 15minutes, and in the case of the screwdriver, when the young man opened up the toy and I realized it took AAA not AA batteries, I had resigned myself to making another trip to get the right batteries but the screwdriver-bearer made another call and sure enough in 10mins there was a knock at the door - AAA batteries. The servers at breakfast were great, often giving a hand unasked to the 3yo climbing into her seat or navigating the maze of furniture and diners from buffet to table with a full glass of juice. Food and drinks at the club lounge on level 8 during happy hour (5-7:30pm) are complimentary, and in quieter times this was a less stressful dinner option for kids given the diversions at hand (tv, computer, breakout lounges). Coming back from downtown, the assistance of the bellboys in getting the kids out of the way or getting the pram out of the bus was invaluable (I would not have felt able to get out and about on my own if I didn't know at the end of the trip I could fall out of the bus clutching shopping, an infant, a 3yo and a 6yo and know there'd be many hands there to help). Housekeeping does a great job of keeping the place ticking over (you can imagine with 3 kids in residence there is a fair amount of mess).
Food: our dining options were limited to what was in the hotel most of the time. The breakfast buffet has beautiful freshly baked breads and pastries, eggs 4 ways, a selection of dim sum type dishes, cook-your-own noodles, vegetables, crepe station, fried food bain marie, cereals, korean dishes, fruits and many juices. The peking duck at Mei Hua was a favourite of our business cohorts, though as a family we were a better fit at Hao Chi, where the roast goose and handmade noodles were a great hit. The club lounge at level 8 has a limited selection of mostly fried finger food which is good in small doses.

All in all, a great hotel with great service for a (outside of Canton Fair!) great price. It deserves your business, is very family-friendly if you want to bring yours, and caters well to foreigners (most of their guests are primarily business travellers). And next time my husband goes, I know he'll be in good hands.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank vicky_szmajda
cpgzsc, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Science City, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2011

Hi Vicky!

Thanks so much for your detailed review! We are very glad that you were able to have an enjoyable vacation with the little ones and that we could help out when needed. I've read through your review thoroughly and will take note of your suggestions for improvement-- ie. the pickup point for the downtown shuttle, etc.
Again, thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review-- we hope to see you and the children in the future!

Reviewed 14 October 2011

Although it was far away from the city center the hotel itself was great. Spacious rooms and the restaurants were ok. I stayed March through April this year. It's less expensive than the others. And well worth the patience it takes to then travel to the main city.

• Stayed: March 2011

Thanks for your review! We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 5 October 2011

First, I should say that the hotel itself is really good. All the facilities are in good condition, spacious rooms with modern design, large club lounge serving cocktails and breakfast. All these are above the normal standard of other hotels in the area. But the major problem is the location. It is too far away from the city centre. I was there for 4 days attending a conference and not necessarily going out for sightseeing or other activities so I did not feel too bad about that. However, if I want to go for some shopping or exploring the city a bit, it is impossible. It takes more than 40 mins to take the hotel shuttle bus to the city centre.

I would still recommend this hotel to my friends if they don't mind traveling with longer time on the bus.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the club floor with breakfast and cocktails since there is not much you can find nearby the hotel. Good to spend sometime at the club lounge with the free Wifi.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your review, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay!
As a hotel that mainly caters to business travelers in the Science City area, we understand that our location can be a little inconvenient for those looking to get downtown easily. But we do have many activities available within the hotel and a complimentary shuttle going downtown daily.
Also, all our rooms have access to complimentary WI-FI and Ethernet Internet access. However, guests who purchase a room on our Club Floor have access to a variety of other benefits! Including-- Buffet breakfast, Happy Hour, Express check-in & check-out, Mini bar & Laundry privileges, etc.
We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 24 September 2011

The hotel is located in the sub-urban area of Guangzhou and not a lot of taxi drivers will know the way so it can easily take you 40 minutes to travel from Guangzhou East Station to the hotel by car. Rooms are large in size and looks very modern, but cracks can be seen in the basin in the bathroom. Overall the environment of the hotel is good and the ambiance is quiet and peaceful, and bellboy is very helpful as well.
As for restaurants, I definitely have to mention Hao Chi, which is a restaurant serving local delicacies, dumplings, noodles, congee etc. so is a place suitable for both big & small eaters. The food quality is good and staffs are very friendly and helpful.
Last but not least, something which you need to watch out for if you need the hotel's Concierge to help you to purchase train tickets from Guangzhou East Station to Hong Kong. My personal experience is the ticket fee is RMB156 (or HK$190 as shown on the ticket), but I need to pay upfront RMB190. After my departure, I checked with the hotel and their response was that the RMB34 was the handling fee which was almost 22% of the train ticket price and this was not explained or advised at the first place. You need to make your own judgement call and determine whether this is the true case.

Room Tip: they have rooms with balconies facing the pool..but don't know if this is available in all rooms
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your review!
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our HaoChi Chinese restaurant. We are very proud of our various food and beverages options here at the hotel; and are always happy to hear about another guest that is satisfied!
I apologize for the miscommunication regarding your train ticket to Hong Kong. We do have Hong Kong train tickets available at our concierge and there is a service charge (around 30RMB) when a ticket is purchased. Despite the charge, most guests find it convenient to have the ticket purchased beforehand to expedite the travelling process. However, it is our responsibility to have this communicated to each guest before their purchase. Thank you for letting us know, I will make sure to have the corresponding departments retrained and briefed on this process.

Reviewed 18 September 2011

I was in this hotel for a couple of days meeting on 9th and 10th Sept. 2011 in Guangzhou. It is a very nicely designed property like a small resort. Lot of apple computers in the lobby for the inmates use. It was so handy because my blackberry stopped receiving emails here after coming from Hong Kong. The restaurants and other facilities are placed in such a way that one cannot experience the bore feeling of a typical hotel. To top of it the hotel is so cheaply priced. But the bar "Mad Scientist" is a lousy one. The tea they serve during breakfast is the best I experience in whole of China. A bit away from city, the atmosphere is very calm and relaxed one.

Room Tip: One can stay in room that are on the hill side rather than overlooking the pool. This side give you a refreshing look.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the CP Science City!
Our hotel does our best to cater to our business travellers and we are happy to hear that our Apple computers in the lobby were useful for you.
I appreciate your comment about our Mad Scientist bar and want to let you know of our many features within the bar--including video games on a PS3, race car driving, iPad use, Slingbox, Movies, Darts, and board games are all available while you enjoy a cocktail or beer. Also, guests have the option of setting the music if they'd like. It a different, more interactive version of your local bar.
We hope to see you soon!