“business hotel”

Ranked #39 of 3,396 Hotels in Guangzhou
New Delhi, India
“business hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

really good budget hotel. Staff was courteous and good.
Its really good for travellers who want to stay in good hotel for a decent price..
hotel was selectedby chinese merchandiser and it was really nice to get such good hotel for such a bargain. everything was nearby.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

This is a good value hotel, we paid less than 100 sgd per night for this room (Business Room). The room was clean and good(but, by day 6, I saw a cockroach...) and beds were comfortable. I stayed here for 8 days.Hotel buffet was better than the average... They tried to change some of the items. (Has Western and Chinese food). View was good.

But, what really annoyed me was the quality of their service staff. I had parcels coming to the hotel. When I went to the reception to inquire about the parcels. I was constantly asked to go to the front desk to inquire about it, when the staff could have just called the front desk to help me ask if there were any. Staff were also clueless about the airport express ... I would stay here again if I have minimal interaction with the service staff (No parcels coming in).

Hotel is located in between Taojin and Ouzhang, which is a 5 mins walk away. There isn't much to eat around this area. La Perle (Expensive brands are) is nearbby. So if you are looking for good shopping and food, stay somewhere else.

To reach this hotel, take airport express 2A, fares has been increased to RMB 19 per person. Taxi would cost around 100 RMB.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank JayCsg
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

I am traveling with a tour and we were booked to stay at the Ocean for about 10 days. When we walked in the decor was nice and my room was fine. Smells a little old but not bad at all. I realized later that on the lower floors there are much nicer and newly renovated rooms and halls with fresh carpeting and no musty or smokey smell.

I was trying to give the hotel more chances but after 4 or 5 days I cannot give them the benefit of the doubt. I ordered room service on two occasions and both times I had trouble communicating with the person on the other line. Now that is not their fault at all because I do not know the language. But when my meal arrived, the first time the boy who delivered it rolled his eyes and audibly "uuugh"ed at me when I was unsure of what he wanted besides my signature and room number. He did not try to help me figure out what he was saying and then made me feel like an idiot and stalked away. I had the same boy on my next experience with room service and he rolled his eyes again before leaving.

I went upstairs to the restaurant to get a spoon (because they didn't provide one with my soup) and when I asked for one, the man behind the counter rolled HIS eyes and scoffed at me when he had to leave the desk to go get one for me. It is not their fault I do not speak any Mandarin, but this is the hospitality industry and since I am paying to stay here, the staff need to step it up.

The housekeeping ladies will also knock, ring the doorbell and come in even when you have the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door, which I found frustrating.

Overall, the Ocean is fine for a short visit. The beds are comfortable, the rooms are fine (make sure to ask for a newly renovated one because they may put you in a smoker room like a few of my cast mates…yuck.), the breakfast is convenient and good, and the room service food is fine, but you can find much tastier options (and cheaper) out in the city. Do not expect easy access to internet. It cuts out frequently and sometimes will not connect at all, as me and many of my cast mates found out.

If you need a place for a longer stay, I believe a different hotel could make you feel more welcome in Guangzhou.

Room Tip: Lower rooms are nicer and newly renovated. No smell. 10 and below.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Elizabeth H
Zhanjiang, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

I arrived at the hotel after 1 a.m. when I had booked a King Room on Ctrip.com. It told me that there was no vacancy of a King size bed but only double beds. However, when I entered the room, I found it was a King size bed! That was good! The bed is soft and comfortable. Nice feather patterns are printed on the pillowcases.

I guess this room was designed for single use due to its open washroom and bathroom, so it is really not convenient for two persons to stay together.

The room has a living room too, with sofa and television set. But I could tell the clothes hangers in the wardrobe hadn't been cleaned for a long time, for the reason that I saw a lot of dusts on one side of them.

It is for free to make the local and domestic calls. Free WiFi is offered within the room too.

Purple carpets are set in the room and corridors, which looks elegant.

My friends and I went to its Chinese restaurant on 3/F. They held the “Southeast Asian Cuisine Festival" there. Perhaps because we are too familiar with the local food taste there, we didn't think they made a good job. The food tasted bad!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Delhi, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

Business suite best in its class. Well located. Right opposite holiday inn. Loved it. Though there is no market
Around the hotel has a convenience store inside for necessary needs. The room was recently refurbished. Pls make sure you stay in the room which is redone and not in the older ones which may be cheaper.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank akasho
Montgomery, AL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

This was the smallest room I stayed in during my trip to China. It was clean and did have internet. Enjoyed breakfast on the 27th floor. The view here was better than from my room. Omelets made to order.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LakeLoafer
Lohmar, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

I have know this hotel for some years now and I have stayed there a lot in the past as I lived in China.
I was always glad to stay there as many hotels in the region were much worse in this price class

The hotel is huge with 24 floors. Every day I spent 10 minutes waiting for lifts which take ages to come.

Check in is slow but they have their routine which usually works.

The place is very dark especially the corridors to the room and give the feeling of not being so clean.

The rooms are fair - good but small. Everything is clean. The TV is OK but I was not able to find anything in english (same with most hotels in the area). Internet worked (free) but is very slow.

Breakfast? I went once but not again. Even though it is in the room charge I dont go. It is up on the 25th floor (big wait for lift) the place is huge and the layout is awful. I spend 15 minutes running about puting a breakfast together and the quality is very mediocre. Coffe is vey bad and the food flair is very chinese.

Trying to be nice about this hotel? well as I mentioned , I was always happy to visit this hotel in the past but now the hotel is still the same, it hasn't moved on

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business