“big hotel, but service is only star”
Review of Dongfang Hotel

Dongfang Hotel
Ranked #22 of 3,562 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I book 2 rooms w my friend, when I am checking in, they ask deposit for 2 room, I told him my friend was checked in already, he said he know. then give me 2 sets key for both room. all the front desk can answer to my question is I KNOW, NOT AVAILABLE.

Room Tip: like a budget hotel
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 June 2011

This is really a very good hotel for foreigners visiting China- most people speak english, the hotel rooms are nice and fairly spacious with all amenities, they have a very nice big swimming pool and other activities as well, the location is simply awsome with most things close by. There is a big shopping area attached to the hotel which offers great bargains - very cheap compared to branded stores but ofcourse more expensive than Guangzhou wholesale markets. There is very little I had to complain except that the rates are a little on the higher side and you can get good rates on the internet but not through their hotel website or by walking in. So best book on the internet itself.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 April 2011

great hotel, stayed in the executive rooms in block 1, rooms are huge, beautiful bathrooms, great bed and pillows, room had everything you need in a hotel room, staff were excellent and looked to resolve our initial room issue we had even through the hotel was very busy they worked hard to accommodate our needs.

the main foyer cafe/bar is nothing to write home about, but it does offer cold beer, and food. Starbucks around the corner does good coffee and breakfasts, Mac Donald's in next to it for a quick meal, otherwise there are loads of restaurants in the area.

shopping is amazing around this area, lots of wholesale markets, just head towards the guangzhou station, you will come across underground markets as well as is the Lihua markets. Just explore the area and you will find what you need, or head to Shanxiajiu pedestrian street or Beijing Rd for shopping. beijing rd has better quality items.

loved Guangzhou and the Dong Fang was an excellent choice in hotels.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank petporter
Reviewed 19 March 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 2 days, and we were constantly impressed with something. The staff was very courteous and friendly, spoke great English and responded quickly to our calls for services. The beds were definitely softer than traditional hotels in the area (we loved it!). We arrived to find that our room had been taken, and were promptly upgraded to a suite at no charge. Beautiful room with a full bathroom (including shower and tub) and a seperate bedroom. The buffet was excellent - both breakfast and dinner. We will definitely go back to this hotel ANYtime we stay in Guangzhou. Only downside was the long lines at check-in or out - 30 minutes for both. Just be sure to leave yourself time if heading to the airport!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank semi775
Reviewed 11 March 2011

I try to stay in this hotel every time we're in Guangzhou. Definitely the best alternative to the pricey Marriott and is just next door.
Good both for private and business trips. A fantastic gym (though belongs not to the hotel and is charged extra) makes every stay even more pleasant. I never used the outdoor pool but it looked good.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 2 March 2011

It was my 3rd time staying at Dong Feng but it really seemed to get worse every stay. The only pro is the location - close to my where I conduct my business and subway right outside the hotel.

Regretfully I must say that most of the bad reviews are true. My bad experience started with check-in. Staff were very incompetent overall. Gave me the wrong room (I booked Executive Business and they gave me a regular. I had to go down to the lobby a few times to straighten out). I told them I have serious asthma but the room given to me was smoke ridden covered up with cheap perfume. Staff told me that there is no REAL non-smoking rooms (in a supposedly 4-star hotel? Give me a break!). But that's true every room has a couple ashtrays. Well, the room was big as expected but dated, carpet stained, bath stall full of mildew, yuk! The bed wasn't comfortable, linens were paper thin and those beatup towels - I won't even use them as floormats at home ...

I think I have given this hotel 3 chances and enough benefit of doubt. I'll stay at a boutique style hotel in the close vicinity (which I used to stay before) in my next business trip to GZ. The boutique hotel is much less expensive, cleaner, much nicer decor and friendlier staff. But I must say not as convenient (subway right outside). OK to those who have already booked Dong Feng with no refund, there are a couple good things: 1. the interior garden / pool area is beautifully maintained - a little oasis to explore and relax after a day of work 2. breakfast quality is excellent (but extra).

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Merchandiser3
Reviewed 23 January 2011

we booked just before arrival and didn't really know the city and where we were landing up. best find for our short, 2-day family visit with husband and 2 college-age children!. highly recom.

rooms were very spacious with high ceilings, large beds and nicely decorated. hotel seems recently upgraded in carpets and decor to tasteful, sophisticated modern chinese feel. darker woods with subtle lighting - liked the ambience. amenities were terrific - 2 thick bathrobes and slippers in closet just said, "welcome" and relax. bathroom was spa-like - raised tub for full soaking and separate rain shower for relaxing. full provisions including toothbrush (don't need to ask in case you forgot one) and other things. heat in room and hallways felt toasty and nice for january and staff attentive. rooms and hotel was very clean and didn't see anything out of order.

also, hotel is so convenient to all transportation. airport bus is best way to get to hotel. clearly marked and efficient, bus goes directly to hotel. ticket office is on hotel premise. easy to return to airport and buses run every 15-20 minutes. metro is outside of hotel on corner. great underground system. you can hop on subway anywhere for cheap - they come frequently, clean and best way to get around. railway station right across street. we didn't go in but looked like you can catch train to hong kong or other faraway places?

this is a large hotel and meant for conference/convention attendees. so, for individual and families, it might seem imposing. but our family loved it - felt like hidden gem since people pass it over for newer hotel.

only down-side was hotel restaurants. we arrived early evening and didn't want to go out to find a restaurant. hotel's main restaurants are on 8th floor and really meant for banquets. though one of these restaurants had dinner menu, place seemed deserted - food was good, but expensive (relatively speaking). head to macao restaurant which is on 1st floor, on-premise. don't be fooled by description that it's portuguease. best chinese food, packed every night with locals. service fast and attentive.

also, there are some seafood restaurants down the street that looked really good. we had dim sum in one - pick your own, buffet style and sit with pot of tea. dim sum at restaurants is like starbuck coffee hangouts in US. meet friends, good conversation and nibble on great food with good drinks. we got lost trying to find these places. restaurants are down the street from the front door of macao restaurant. there is a hotel entrance to macao along with their main door for non-hotel patrons. from macao's main door, go across or down that street to find some yummy places to eat.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family