“the best hotel for the canton fair”
Review of Dongfang Hotel

Dongfang Hotel
Ranked #43 of 3,447 Hotels in Guangzhou
“the best hotel for the canton fair”
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

I have had been In the canton fair in past editions in other 5 star hotels and it's normal For the canton fair all the rates increase a lot
so I found the value from what I paid really good vs I received
they have several advantages such as the transportation, registration in the hotel, very good breakfast, warming cocktail when coming back from the fair
overall I recommend it and I will go again to this hotel very accessible rate, incredible service

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
DongFangHotel_GZ, Public Relations Manager at Dongfang Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Dong Fang Hotel for your recent stay in Guangzhou, and share your stay experience with us.

We are honored to get your praise and support. We as always will provide the high quality service for our guests.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

My parents always said this was the "IT" hotel back in the 90's. This place is still well kept BUT this is not for families, for men maybe, but definitely not family friendly.

There's prostitutes walking around from day to night. Seriously? Why isn't the hotel doing anything about it? It's your own property. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if a homeless was walking around, but you allow prostitutes? It's an awkward sight to see if you're not a dude.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Christine L
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Wonderful place to stay. If you like riding the metro, the hotel is about 5 minutes from Line 2, Yuexiu Park stop, Exit D-1. Allow me to compliment the city for very good signage on the metro. Hotel check in/out went smoothly...front desk staff was very friendly. I actually stayed 2 nights...checked out to take a short trip...checked back in for a single night before leaving the city. Traveling unaccompanied, I tried to cover a lot of the city in a short time. The concierge was very knowledgeable & helpful with directions. Bed was comfortable; room was clean and large. Liuhua Lake and Park is just around the corner from the hotel...wonderful place for a morning walk...lots of locals enjoy the park. For those who need an American fast food fix (burger/fries), you walk past "M" when you exit the metro on your way to the hotel. Cantonese style food is the best, but I acknowledge that some folks want western variety mixed in. Macau Street Restaurant is also around the corner from the hotel so it is convenient and a good place to eat if choose to try someplace outside of the hotel. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for Tower 1 with a room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Mahoo95
Dear guest,

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 October 2013

the hotel is very nice and clean.
the management very bad and the security is not good..at 3:30am some girl nock the door and ask as to open the door ..the girl was naked 100% (with no clothes) and she ask me for help that she lost her key at her room ..but we know she lie because my friend in china inform me about this kind of game ..so we did not open the door ,,,we call the reception 3 time to send some one but it take 25 minutes to send a girl to solve the mater..by the way that the lift work with room card but for sure some one from the employee help her to come to the rooms..Also our room not include the breakfast so I pay 200RMB for the first day and the food was a disaster ,, most plate is empty and the cook to make omelet he do not speak one word English.

I have many pictures for the empty buffet plate and whine I ask to meet the manager , the said that he is beasy now and he will contact me ,,but he did not so I try again and again and finally I saw him and I talk to him and he say ok ok ..what a management ,,

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank basil f
Bogor, Indonesia
Reviewed 29 September 2013

After I escorted cancer patient to Modern Hospital, I decided to stay for one night at Dongfang Hotel based on my company' benefit. First impression when I arrived was outstanding and 6 stars hotel. With outstanding lobby with its ceiling crafting about Guangzhou history and luxurious restaurant and cafe, I felt very honored to stay here. The room was fascinating with its comfort and best view to town park. The employees were very helpful to give guidance and recommendation to several famous landmark such as Five Goat Statue near hotel. Despite of lack of foreign language from its security officers, this hotel had given me spectacular experience to stay in Guangzhou. Hopefully I can bring my spouse to stay here to have memorable experience there.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Pelupessy
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I am still staying for 12 nights and I think its a clean nice hotel good deal for a buisness trip and I recommrnd it if you need a 4 stars nice hotel.overall I am happy.Also starbucks and mcdonalds is just right of the hotel.location also is good

• Stayed September 2013
Guangzhou, China
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This is the oldest and long established hotel in Guangzhou.
It was the only decent place for earlier travelers to this city
during the Guangzhou Fair in the early 70's.

Since then it became a modern comfortable hotel, the rooms
Are very comfortable whether located in the old or new wing.

I like to spend a week end in this hotel during summer, whenever
the weather permits it; the swimming pool and the garden are
a great place for relaxation.

Room rates over the week end are affordable.

Try it if you can !