“Acceptable but not recommended”

University Town International Hotel
Ranked #1,762 of 3,394 Hotels in Guangzhou
Boulder, Colorado
“Acceptable but not recommended”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here three times in our 3.5 weeks in China. This place is pricey for Chinese standards but we wanted to be comfortable. We appreciated having American toilets. They offer no bath tubs which I love and appreciate while traveling! The beds are basic hard Chinese beds. We are having a cold spell of 48' F and rain. We turned on our heat to 30' C around 80' F no heat! We called house keeping showed them the thermostats and said we were cold. They then opened a cabinet and gave up two extra blankets vs fixing the heat! We would recommend a different hotel!

Stayed February 2014

Couples
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
LDN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

I booked to stay in this hotel as it was close by to where I would be working at a university. The hotel is located in the Guangzhou University mega town where lots of campuses are based. There isn't much around there which really limited my options.

Firstly, when I booked I did not hear back with any kind of confirmation. I then emailed to chase up the booking and eventually received a confirmation a week later. The confirmation was not very professional. I booked an airport pick up which cost 500RBM. I was met at the airport by two young staff, a girl and a boy who were very pleasant and smiley. They then called the driver who met us outside. The three of us (driver and two youngsters) then made our way to the hotel in an old mini-van type car. The young girl, although very pleasant spoke to me the whole way to the hotel (around 40 minutes) asking me things like "what are your hobbies". She was sweet but I'd just had a very long flight, it was 33 degrees and 11pm and I was exhausted. The airport pick up was more like a family gathering with me along for the ride than a usual hotel airport pick up experience.

When we arrived the hotel looked tatty and checking in took a long time despite me being the only customer there. I asked for a taxi for the morning and they said they would have to book a car as taxis were not available in that area (this did seem to be true) and they also asked whether I would like a car back to the airport. I said as it was expensive that I'd prefer a taxi and there was a big long debate about this. In the end I just said I wanted to go to my room and left them debating.

My room was ok but there were some major issues. Firstly the window did not fully close and the locks were damaged. It seemed that anyone could break in easily. Also outside my window was a huge ledge that people could walk along all the way around the hotel. I felt unsafe. The wifi was only available in the bathroom and the bed was rock hard - it was like there wasn't even a mattress on it! My room was right by the lift and the 'bing bong' lift noise could be heard from my bed.

I was meant to stay for two nights but in the end I checked out after one night and went to stay at an airport hotel instead. For the money (630RBM per night) this hotel was very bad.

I would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Guangzhou hotels

Travellers also viewed these Guangzhou hotels
Southern Club Hotel Business Class
Southern Club Hotel Business Cla...
#1,512 of 3,394 in Guangzhou
#2 of 3,394 in Guangzhou
Guangdong Victory Hotel
Guangdong Victory Hotel
#31 of 3,394 in Guangzhou

Been to University Town International Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about University Town International Hotel

Property: University Town International Hotel
Address: East Second Road, University Town, Guangzhou 510006, China
Region: China > Guangdong > Guangzhou
Bar / Lounge Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Restaurant Room Service Swimming Pool Airport Transportation
Ranked #1,762 of 3,394 Hotels in Guangzhou
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): £
Hotel Class:3.5 star — University Town International Hotel 3.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your University Town International Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.