“Disappointment all around”

Royal Tulip Carat Guangzhou
Ranked #82 of 3,559 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I have stayed at this hotel at least five times and have always given it a 5 out of 5 rating. Not this time. I stayed there with my friend from 4 November to 8 November 2013 with my friend Patricia
On check in there was no one to show us to our room, we had to go searching for the room, only to find we had been given a smoking room, I phoned front office and asked to be moved. We then went out for a couple of hours, on returning we were told to go collect our bags from the old room and take ourselves to the new room, they didn't even b again.other to just move our stuff to the new room. Again there was no one to accompany us to the new room.
The room was fine until we showered, the shower water was not draining and pooled from the shower to the toilet next door. Again I called front desk in the morning to report it. When we came back in the evening we had been moved to yet another room only to find this on also had a problem with the shower drainage as well. The water seemed to pool on the floor of the toilet.....There is nothing as horrible as using a toilet that has a floor that's completely covered by water! Again I called front desk who then sent someone from housekeeping, the gentleman came in I showed him the problem, he looked around then he left. Never to be seen or heard off again. Thats when I stopped trying get problems attended to. and just looked forward to our depature.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank PortiaNoble
RoyalTulipCarat, Manager at Royal Tulip Carat Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear guest,

Thanks for taking time in giving us your feedback. We fully understand your situations and sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences caused to you and your friend for recent stay with us.

Your feedback has been shared with the entire team and we are taking necessary steps to enhance our service level to meet or exceed guest expectation. We highly appreciate your comments and we hope that you will consider a return visit so that we have an opportunity to bring back ever good memories your spent with us before, please feel free to contact us via info@royaltulipcarat.com to be of assistance with any future reservations prior your arrival, and we will ensure your next stay goes smoothly.

Thanks again for your valued time and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Royal Tulip Carat-Guangzhou in the near future.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I usually go there at the time of Canton Fair as Rooms are OK (make sure not to take the ones without windows). The hotel is nice (please see hereunder) but do not go there if you need a proper internet connection as the one in the rooms is not working or very very very slow (it took few hours to download my emails!)

When asked about the issue (Which I knew as I stayed in the hotel before and it was exactly the same problem) they told me it could come from my computer.. I had a good laugh even more as all my colleagues had the same issue. Well, as a conclusion: Don't go there if you need Internet Connection (and you won;t found one in a nearby restaurant or Cafe are there are none).

This time the room given was very close to the Highway and therefore very noisy... I asked to change and this was done.

Fitness Room is very nice also

Room Tip: Be careful to take a room with window! Rooms starting with a 2 are quieter than the one starting w...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank ShanghaiJo

Dear guest,

Thanks for your recent review of your stay in Royal Tulip Carat-Guangzhou. We are glad to know you like our room and fitness room. Maybe next time you should try our swimming pool which is highly spoken of by our guests.

Regarding internet speed issue, our management team is looking into it seriously to improve it. We are looking forward to welcoming you back at next Canton Fair so that you can experience the difference.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

This hotel is beautiful, loved the room, very modern but very dull. Called help desk to brighten up but apparently that was the brightest. I could hardly read. Rooms are very spacious, loved the waterfall shower. Daily housekeeping was good, complimentary bottled water - you need plenty of this in China! The beds were the best so med to soft and comfortable.

Service - Major let down. The ladies in particular are very very rude, they talk over you, point at you while speaking in their language to another person and laugh, they raise their voices in their own language at you if you don't do what they want, half way through serving you if someone else comes they will leave you and go and serve the next person and the next and then come back - this happened 4 times!!!! They speak very little to no english at all and it's the most frustrating thing ever.. The service is -0/5!!!

Breakfast buffet & Restaurant set up was awesome!! Good selection of foods available.

Location - no one seems to know this hotel even exists so you MUST carry the hotel card that has their name in Chinese plus a map to show the taxi drivers as they speak NO English whatsoever!!!

Cost - I think it was okay for the hotel. I asked reception for my invoice and she accidentally printed another rooms invoice and I found they were charging other people less than half what I paid for the exact same period & room!!! I was so annoyed but they refuse to budge and would not give me a discount.

The hotel had a Canton shuttle which helped plus a shuttle that took their guests to different malls and shopping streets each night during the Canton. This was a huge bonus as got to see a lot of different shopping areas, they take you there and bring you back.

I would probably not stay here again because I cannot deal with disgusting service. This the norm in China, non english speaking staff so if this is a big issue for you, your better off staying in the big chains hotel where they have english people working there.

Room Tip: If your travelling alone, room 1415 is the best!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear guest,

Thanks for your recent review of Royal Tulip Carat-Guangzhou! Thanks for your kind comments for our modern style room, breakfast buffet and restaurant set up. We regret to learn that your stay was not up to our standards of service level we strive to offer for our guests. Our passion is to provide you the ultimate service that exceed your expectations. The management team will do our utmost to improve the staff’s English communication skills and enhance our service. We truly hope you would reconsider a return visit to see our improvement on your next stay. Please contact us at any time if we can be of any assistance via info@royaltulipcarat.com.

Once again, thanks for your time to let us know of your stay. We are looking forward to see you on next Fair period.

Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

Hi visted guangzhou for the 5th time and this is the best hotel I have stayed so far for sub rs 25k price bracket.
Service is excellent rooms are fresh and neat decor is average.

2 biggest grouse:
1, seperate wc area and shower area but they have a common door. Very inconvenient if you are with a business colleague. Hotel should definitely have seperste doors for the same.

2,location wise its far from fair area around 20 mins by bus or car but they provide free shuttle so cant complain. But nothing to do around the place.

Overall very good

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
RoyalTulipCarat, Public Relations Manager at Royal Tulip Carat Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear Guest,
Thanks so much for choosing the Royal Tulip Carat Guangzhou for your stay when visiting Guangzhou last time and for sharing your comments on Tripadviosr community center. We are glad to learn that you like our excellent service and clean room.
Our hotel is situated right at the foot of the famous scenic Baiyun Mountain, adjacent to Lu Hu Lake, it is a serenity from the city. Located minutes away from the Wanda Intl Square, the hotel is only 20-min drive to Baiyun Intl Airport, Guangzhou East Station and Pazhou Exhibition Center. Next time, maybe you would like to spend some time hanging around those places to enjoy the natural beauty with fresh air? We are looking forward to seeing you on next Trade Fair.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

First off this is a beautiful hotel and I mean beautiful! I was blown away as soon as the taxi pulled up. The room was spacious with an excellent soaking tub and separate glass shower. My king size bed was perfect! The pool area was so relaxing. The entire hotel is a relaxing experience. The wifi in the room was reliable which was refreshing.

The downsides: Well this hotel is very popular for weddings. Which means if you are bothered by loud noises then you probably don't want to stay here on the weekend. I sleep with my ipod on so it didn't bother me. Also I stay out late myself so by time I decided to go to sleep the party was over or winding down.

As mentioned by another reviewer this hotel is not well known. I felt like I was alone in the hotel except for the wedding party. However they didn't stay at the hotel overnight. This can either be a good or bad thing depending on your personality.

For being a luxury hotel Royal Tulip has the WORST food ever. I can't even begin to explain how bad the food is. It's not even decent. Also if there is a wedding you won't be eating anyway because the restaurants will be closed.

The hotel is about 27-30 CNY which is about $5 USD away from the popular locations in Guangzhou. Which means every time I was hungry I had to get in a taxi for 15-20 mins there and back.

Also if you are looking for a hotel with a decent English speaking staff this is NOT the hotel for you. I'm pretty sure if I spoke Chinese I would have had excellent service. There was just a communication break down that confused everything. However the staff tried VERY hard and I appreciate and thank them for their patience.

When I booked this trip I had no idea where I would spend most of my time in Guangzhou. This hotel was a little distant from where I ended up spending my free time. Overall I enjoyed my stay. It's a high quality hotel, and I got to practice my Chinese. It was relaxing getaway after staying in the fast paced city of Hong Kong.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest,
Thanks so much for you squeezing your time to pen down your experience on Tripadvisor community center. Your comments are truly valuable to not only improve our English communication skills, but as well our restaurant services. The management team here will do our utmost to improve the staff’ English communication skills and food & beverage services, we are confident that you will see those changes upon your next visit. FYI, our hotel is newly-managed by Louvre Hotels & Golden Tulip, the world's 8th biggest hotel player and we are working up to the top.

BTW, Royal Tulip Carat Guangzhou is situated right at the foot of the city’s famous natural beauty - Baiyun Mountain, adjacent to Lu Hu Lake, it is a serenity from the city. And we are sure this will be part of your next discovery here.

Your valuable comments would be shared with our team to enhance our service. Our mission is to provide you the ultimate service that exceeds your expectations.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Not a very well known hotel, but I was satisfied with it. The front of house staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean. We felt that the housekeeping staff was not very good, as we would often return to the hotel in the late afternoon to find it not yet cleaned. Wi-Fi, room service and the restaurants were good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Royal Tulip Carat Guangzhou for your stay when visiting Guangzhou and for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor community center. FYI, our hotel is newly-managed by Louvre Hotels & Golden Tulip, the world's 8th biggest hotel player. More information could be found via www.goldentulip.com; Your valuable opinions would be shared with our team to Improve our services for our distinguished guests.We are looking forward to seeing you again in our unique hotel.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

HOTEL SERVICE - EXCELLENT is the right word
HOTEL STAFF ---- EXCELLENT
HOTEL DECOR ---- EXCELLENT
truely a real 5 star in 80% respects

the hotel even cooperated well by returning my lost item which i forgot in the room

BREAKFAST -- is now very basic compared to what it used to be earlier, its no more international ,its become chinese now which international tourist or business visitor like
me will not like , they have removed pastas ,cheese and similar things and international
juices and jams ,now it caters more to chinese taste .It needs lot of improvements if hotel wants to woo international vistiors rather than domestic

LOCATION --- still in the middle of nowhere and hard to find 7 - 11 stores nearby , you need to cross the road to even get any basic thing

taxi ride to main spots like beijing lu etc takes 25 rmb but its not difficult ,

KALI JU DIAN BINGUAN is what taxi driver understands but do not forget the hotel name card as otherwise you may never reach as the road name noone understands ,

SERVICE is greatest and the staff is excellent -- you dont even find this helpful people who just have a yes sir attitude to anything you say at even any time of night --- so to the staff - GREAT JOB , this is the reason why hotel is still full

THEME -- ANTS AND INSECTS PICTURES EVERYWHERE IS MOST NEGETIVE POINT , I ALREADY POINTED THE MANAGEMENT AT RECEPTION TO FORWARD THIS TO THE TOP PEOPLE TO CHANGE -- its really irritating ---

rest the decor , cleanliness is great , truly a 5 star and price is OK to pocket

Room Tip: rooms with view are good
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank suneetkamra
RoyalTulipCarat, Manager at Royal Tulip Carat Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for squeezing your time to share your comments on Trip Advisor about your stay with us during your visit in Guangzhou. We are pleased to read that our service was highly recognized and hoping to get your support as usual.

We will improve our buffet breakfast with a mix of extensive buffet selection. Once again, thank you for your review and endorsement. Our passion is to provide you the ultimate service that exceed your expectations and welcome you back again on your next journey.