“Great new hotel in business district” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich

Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich
Ranked #14 of 3,387 Hotels in Guangzhou
San Jose, CA
“Great new hotel in business district”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

This was about a month or two since hotel was open for general public. All is very new and clean. Everyone is extremely friendly and nice. Located right in business district, so most of the days I just walked to the office for about 10 min, which was absolutely great. Breakfast was excellent. Room was big, clean, and modern. Sometimes had a problem with getting a taxi outside (especially when it rained), but never waited more than 10 min or so. Defenetely will return there if ever again in Guangzhou.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

We stayed at a luxury room for one night in mid August. The room is nicely decorated and very spacious. The bathroom is large. There was bath salt available for you to take a relaxing bath in the nice bathtub.
However, the staff seemed to be inexperienced and we had a few little issues during our stay. We had a slight problem with the curtain in the room and we spent 10 minutes explained to the staff before they understood what the issue was and sent someone to fix it. We ordered in-room breakfast the night before but they missed our order the next morning. They made up for the mistake by offering us free breakfasts but the food was not so good.
As the hotel is still quite new, the staff and the service might get better later.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MidcoVincent
angel c, Manager at Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich, responded to this review, 5 September 2011
Bonjour! Thank you for your feedback. we will continuously improve our services to ensure all our guests will have a memorable experience. We certainly looking forward to be of service to you soon.
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

"Bonjour..."
This is what all staffs say in French to welcome you with large smiles.
This hotel is promised to great success...
I'm used to live in various hotels in Guangzhou: Westin / Ritz Carlton / Shangri La... I would say that all of them in Guangzhou are really good, even compared with many other hotels from same brands in China.
But Sofitel created a real atmosphere that makes me feel it's really one of the best among them in Guangzhou.
Sofitel strong points:
- room design / decoration with French flair
- many details like collection of peotry laid on your bed on a Chinese bed table
- amenities in bathroom by "L'Occitane"
- bathroom atmosphere: intimist, modern, efficient, luxury... with TV in the mirror
- staff welcome and smile with nice uniforms and good sense of service
- breakfast: with hot drinks / fresh juice / French bread basket served at your table, which is dressed with fine tableware
- great spa, fitness and indoor pool
Compared with Ritz and Shangri La, just 1 negative point: no outdoor swimming pool (but that's my personal taste...).
I just tried the Cantonese restaurant that was delicious. Hope to try their other restaurants and services when I will go again.
Really great !!! Do not hesitate to go and the price is good compared the other hotels I mentioned in this review.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank LV-France
brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

Sofitel Guangzhou

While lying in the bath this morning, staring up at the little ripples that sunlight was casting onto the ceiling, it occurred to me that much of my life course to this point has been misdirected.

Before I begin making a little rave about the sofitel in Guangzhou, allow me to digress. Those of you who know me understand that I have strong opinions about everything. And if I haven't formed one, I soon can. So it is no surprise that to begin today's monologue, I'd like to get something off my chest.

Firstly, I'm an idiot. Obsessing over the tiniest germ, worrying about a series of shapeless disasters in my everyday, has in fact worn me out before my time. And I, like most westerners, hold onto these values tightly.

We keep our hands immersed in disinfectant, our mouths listerened, our under-arms clogged with deodorant our hair free of the tiniest skin-flake, our homes, cars and even our bodies heavily insured, we drive conscientiously at prescribed speeds, we pay our taxes religiously and we tut-tut against the slightest infraction of these common values when Tracy Grimshaw tells us to at 6.30 on the television. And where does it get us?

The Chinese by comparison are millennia ahead. Which is not surprising, since their society is indeed thousands of years older than our own. They obsess about very little, they work hard, theyre affable, unconcerned and approach most situations with a pleasant naïveté. This is their secret. I believe it. And I want to understand this approach. And I started my journey today...

In all the times I have stayed in hotels, I have never, ever used their bath. Not even the fanciest spa-bath could coax me into it's disease infested embrace. Even with the most rigorous disinfectant policy (I carry it everywhere) I couldn't shake the belief that germs were going to kill me. Today I realised it's me whose killing me.

The Sofitel Guangzhou helped me understand this. It confronted my senses, delighted my every core with, I  guess it's worth saying... perfection. I've stayed at Sofitels around the world, but this one takes the cake. This one, run by the Chinese, shows me the future.

After hastily calling the Club Mileseme butler while jostling in a crowd of commuters yesterday, I sent out an SOS to come get me, to save me from my own bad scheduling. No sooner had I called than a sleek Benz appeared with not one but two staff, water bottles, towels, refreshments and kind words of welcome. I almost shed a tear. This was a most pleasant surprise.

When we arrived at the hotel I was whisked up to the executive level where I was asked about my day, kindly consoled, and then welcomed into their family. After entering the room, lying on the bed, looking out over this bustling megatropolous, I did cry a little, if only inside. I knew then that, despite the loving embrace of my family waiting back home, I never wanted to leave this suite.

And so here I sit, next morning, refreshed in ways I couldn't imagine just a day before. The words are spilling onto the (i)page and I can't stop. I apologise for raving on and on and on... But I can't help it.

"It's just a bath," you say... "Get over it dude." True, but I had to come here to be shown what I was missing. I guess it's a trust thing. These people, the Sofitel staff, invited me to just chill-out. Everything was so perfect, that I honestly believe my bath today to be free of any impurities, cleansed as they are by their environment. Any germ residing here knows it's onto a good thing and doesn't want to rock the boat.

So friends, if you wonder how much this luxury costs, then here's the real surprise. It was a fraction, a fraction of what I'd paid for dowdy, mismanaged hovels in Australia and elsewhere in the west. The pittance I paid for this lifestyle is testament to just how far wrong we've gone in the developed world.

We are newbies, infants on the world scene... And our, well my, outlook on life needs readjusting. The staff here are not paid well, but are happy. And without a million bureaucratic checks and balances weighing their business down, the hotel is affordable and enjoyable. Before you tell me these staff aren't happy, I tell you they are, and healthy too. If this is how you live in China on so-called 'low wages', then it could a model, a great model for running businesses and countries elsewhere.

So, blissed out as I am, I have decided that today I will not worry. I will remain unconcerned and let the Sofitel atmosphere seep into my very core. I will thank providence that once before I die I have understood true hospitality. And my advice to you, dear reader, is to do the same. And do it here. Come to Guangzhou and stay right here, perhaps in this very room.

I'll do my best to leave it as I found it... And remember when you're in the bath, to look up at the ripples. In my case it's much more pleasant than looking down at the sags:-)

• Stayed August 2011
6 Thank offtopic
San Juan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

Staying at this hotel for only one night still managed to make our short visit to Guangzhou memorable and very comfortable. This brand new hotel boasts not only 3 restaurants and 2 lounge bars but a full scale spa, wet floor with Hammam facilities, gym, beauty salon, game room, whirlpool and a swimming pool with piped in music...yes, the first and only pool in Guangzhou with such a feature. The staff were a variety of European and Chinese people, all very happy to assist their guests into their new hotel. The room was modern and classy with a touch of French flair. The bathroom was luxurious as it had automatic roller blinds, a very deep tub that can accomodate two adults, a TV inside the vanity mirror and a rain shower. L'Occitane products were generously laid out together with two kinds of bath salts. Room service was wonderful and discreet as the waiter served us with politeness and courtesy. Staying at this hotel was definitely the highlight to our short vacation at this modern city.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robbie_Francisco
Surabaya, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

When I was stay there, it was not officially open. I booked from a-club site.
I arrive at Guangzhou late at night, after very long waiting hours in Hong Kong, made me very tired.
That was my very first time I go to Guangzhou. I saw a very dark and gloomy yet old town all over street I take.

The taxi's driver I take didn't know Sofitel Sunrich Hotel, he said I'm wrong, and he said no such hotel name Sofitel Sunrich in Guangzhou.
So, I call the hotel, she was very nice and helpful, also the most important thing is, she can speak English. Then she told the driver the place.

After I entered the Tianhe District there it is, the tall big and very bright building very proud and lux stand alone within others old buildings.
I was very happy, I wasn't choose the wrong hotel.

The taxi's driver also very surprised, he asked me how much pernight, I answered "bu zhi dao" a.k.a I don't know.

I was help by the porter, quite nice english also. Then when I entered the hotel, the lobby and reception hall "GRANDE" very big! Very luxurious.

They said they haven't open yet, only those who invited can sleep at the hotel ( but I don't received any invitation. I'm not that kind important V.I.P person )

The check in process was so ceremonial, the guy took me to my room with very professional and polite, check in ceremonial was in my room, the payment and all process is privately in my room.

They give me fruits in basket, chocolates, biscuits, macarons, and a bucket ice cubes.

The room very amazing, spaciously big, with very nice bed, clean, the pillow was good, the bathroom was amazing. They have separate shower, bathtub and even toilet. They have a small not so good sound quality monitor at bathroom also.

The interior very nice, I'll upload some photo when I arrive my country (I'm on travelling now and still have a bad jetlag)
All the staffs very nice, always smile, helpful, but have very weird english.

The also have greeters originally from France, sometimes girls sometimes boys all are France.
Their jobs is greet you, smile at you, a little chit chat and call a taxi for you.

They have swimming pool, jacuzzi, gym, all nice! The change room also very good.
In the room they gives 2 bottles complimentary and if you want add some, you just ask. They'll give u free.

The very MINUS thing on this hotel is LOCATION!
You know in Guangzhou the taxi's drivers 80% will cheat on you, so all you need is mass transportation or walk.
But at this hotel you will need taxis, private cars, motocycle, or at least a pairs strong legs, good stamina, and many spare time. ;p
I barely couldn't go anywhere. When I go to nearest mall ( Tee Mall ) From Hotel was no problem, but from mall to hotel, I must wait, struggle and fight with others to get taxi.

Beside the hotel, there is Tianlong Hotel, maybe around 200 meters, old hotel but have local 7-11. You can buy your needs there.
Also the restaurant beetwen Tianlong Hotel and Sofitel is very delicious, but all people there only can speak Chinese and local dialect Guangdong. So prepare your Tarzan Languange if you cannot speak Chinese or Guangdong.

Finally I say, the hotel was very NICE, but the location wasn't. Except you have private car or something.

• Stayed May 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JJTL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2011

I got a chance to stay at Sofitel GZ...it was great, the spacious lobby, rooms & facilities ..not to mention providing a variety of food with choices of cuisine, and of course, their excellent service namely Mr. Richard, thanks. I had a great time there n would recommend to my colleagues n mates.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank pewdider
sofitelgz, Manager at Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich, responded to this review, 26 May 2011
Bonjour! It was a pleasure reading your comments. We always go the extra mile to create memorable stay and dining experience at Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich. We appreciate your recommendations and looking forward to welcoming your guests very soon.