“A second chance”

Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich
Ranked #15 of 3,480 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Having visited the Sofitel and been so disappointed - see 'The Good and the Bad' review below - we had to return to Guangzhou and decided to give the Sofitel another chance! To be honest, the main draw was the desire to return to the amazing Robata restaurant, with its excellent food, ambience, manager and staff. We were not disappointed this time - it was amazing and one of the best steak meals we have ever had - and we have had a few!

Elsewhere in the hotel, the staff tried very hard to make amends for the huge disappointment last time! The room and the service was first class - just what we hope for at a Sofitel and what was so lacking last time. We are so pleased to have had our faith restored in Sofitel and just hope that the training in progress at this new hotel will be thorough and successful so that other travellers an enjoy the Sofitel experience.

Room Tip: The rooms that offer access to the Club provide an extra bonus
2  Thank Matthew L
There are newer reviews for Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich

Hong Kong
Reviewed 10 November 2011

The hotel is new and well-appointed. As you first walk in the hotel, one can see the large oil painting of carps in a pond on top or the reception counter. This is truly a magnificent piece of art. This eye-catching painting accentuates the ambience of the hotel. The room design is sleek and comfortable. I tried two restaurants in the hotel. The Chinese restaurant was superb. Both food quality and service were great. The deep-fried whole chicken was succulent and the skin was crispy. The recommended Kaile vegetable was fantastically cooked to perfection. Simple food but hearty and satisfactory. I look forward to staying in this Sofitel Hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Location is very convenient. It takes you not more than 30 minutes to anywhere; down town, or exhibition centre or the attractions. Service is excellent. Everything is excellent too except the price of drink

Reviewed 9 November 2011

Right from start, I know I made the correct decision in booking the Sofitel.
Being picked up at the GZ East Train Station in a new Mecedes, to the express check in & check out. Everything just seem to click into place, from the pool/spa to the business centre - nothing was to much trouble for the staff.
Breakfast would be a highlight and surely not to be missed when you stay.

1  Thank questoz
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I am committed to the Sofitel brand, am a Gold member of their A Club and stay in a Sofitel Hotel wherever and whenever possible. So on our trip to Guangzhou we went for the Sotiftel. I was concerned about the very mixed reviews on TripAdvisor and now I can see why. This is another mixed review.

First, the Good: there is the usual excellent rooms, MyBed and all the amenities. We had an amazing dinner at the Robata restaurant - the food and the manager and his staff were wonderful. It was one of the best meals we have had for a long time. The spa and pool were impressive. The Club Lounge was very good.

Sadly, there is also the Bad: On arrival, there was a very friendly and helpful French man who helped us to check in and also, later, the Club Lounge staff were good, but, with great regret, we had very bad experiences from the Reception staff.

We had booked for two nights but decided to stay for a third night. We asked for this at Reception and there was great confusion about what the rate would be for the third night. For some reason, it could not be the same as the first and second night. The manager dealing with us said she would leave a message with the rate - but three hours later had not done so, which meant I had to go back to Reception. In the end, we accepted another rate and agreed to stay a third night. When we came to check out, the French lady who checked us out clearly did not know how to deal with customers or how to use the reception computer! As I asked to check out, she answered her phone and walked off to deal with it, leaving me waiting for 10 minutes! She presented me with my bill which had a room rate for the third night way above the agreed rate. It took 45 minutes to sort this out at Reception, with various staff involved, including a manager. This was a complete waste of time and was very embarrassing and uncomfortable, which is completely unacceptable for any hotel, let alone a Sofitel hotel.

Unfortunately, this has made me think twice about ever coming back to this hotel or another Sofitel. However, I know this hotel is new and many people are still learning their roles. Read the reviews carefully. Maybe they need more time to get it right - but they are certainly not getting it right and they have caused this loyal Sofitel customer to be very disappointed and unhappy with the whole experience at the Sofitel Guangzhou. I will have to find somewhere else for next month's trip to the city.

5  Thank matthew792
Reviewed 8 November 2011

As I lay by a magnificent indoor pool I write this review.having read some of the reviews core this hotel I feel it is important to add mi view.we are currently here with 2 children aged 11 and 8.this hotel is by far the best in Guangzhou that I have stayed in. We travel 3 times a year to Guangzhou spending time between the garden,ritz Carlton and white swan.
For this trip we are here and will head to chime long for a night before re booking to come back for a few more nights.
Some of the complaints are so unnecessary.we all know about the language barrier in china and yes I experienced it here apron arrival while checking in but for anyone to say this hotel is not magnifique is wrong.for china standards it is wonderful.come and try for yourself and help the Chinese improve with their language and service instead of criticizing them.if I have any faults with the hotel I will let them know directly because this hotel is the best you will find!!

2  Thank Jessibelladelaide
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 7 November 2011

The breakfast in the cafe was amazing and our 58 sq mt room was magnifique.......Oh outstanding design. Latest interiors and brilliant, spacious bathing room. Loved the stay. I could not have the chance to dine in the restaurants due to the packed schedule Nevertheless will do so on my next stay which definitively will be at this hotel in Guangzhou. Perhaps the best sofitel i visited.