“5 Star Luxury” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich

Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich
Ranked #14 of 3,385 Hotels in Guangzhou

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Elegant design combined with polite staff that work great as a team and look after every single guest needs in a beautiful manner! The rooms rooms a beautifully designed, with a Parisian charm. Their Chinese restaurant is definitively worth going and the dim sum there is phenomenal! Wonderful club lounge with great service and food. Location is very convenient and having seen some other 5 star properties in GZ, I would say that this property is by far the best and definitively worth the money. Thanks for the wonderful hospitality!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Michelinv
Management S, General Manager at Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Michelinv,
Bonjour! We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide us your feedback.

We try very hard to provide good quality accommodations, at a reasonable price, and our team work very hard each and every day to make sure our guests are looked after well.

We hope to see you again soon, and want you to know that your patronage and your comments are appreciated.

Life is Magnifque!

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

Had a six day stay at the Sofitel for the Canton Trade Fair and loved every second of it.
Rooms were fantastic and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
We enjoyed authentic Chinese in the hotel restaurant and succulent traditional western food in the Le Grille restaurant.
I must make special mention to some individuals who turned my trip from a standard business trip to an enjoyable experience from which I now have friends whom I would like to catch up with in the near future,
Lui the Manager of Le Grille restaurant an exceptional well mannered lad whom can deal with any situation very impressed with his professionalism.
Eugene the manager of Faubourg bar on level 8 this girl has a personality like no other I do not think it is possible for her to ever not smile, her bubbly personality is exactly what you need after a long tiring day to perk you back up and her team can make an exceptional drink some I had never heard of
Finally Alisa the resident dj I have never encountered such good music being played every day like clock work in a hotel keep spinning the goodness.
Collective these guys along with the Sofitel brand made my business trip more of a trip of pleasure will be definitely returning.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Mike H
Dear Mike H,
Bonjour! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We very much appreciate your wonderful words, and positive feedback, that I have shared with our team.

We pride ourselves on superior customer service and I am glad to see that our team members went above and beyond to make your stay more pleasant.

We are thrilled to hear that you will definitely return. We very much appreciate your patronage, and look forward to being of service to you again soon.

Hk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Overall, the hotel is magnificent but the following can be improved:
1) The check in counter rejected to give me one more welcome gift (macaroon). I have two kids and it made them fight for one. In the future, would it be provided based on how many kids or be flexiable.
2) I checked in after 4pm but I still needed to wait almost an hour for a room.
3) The lounge had strong cigarette smell although it is non-smoking area.
Most of the service is good especially the guy in the swimming pool. He watched my kids to swim closely.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

2 Thank Hilda T
Management S, Manager at Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Hilda T,
Bonjour! Thank you for your comments. We are sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations and please allow us to express our sincerest apologies.

We are genuinely sorry that we did not handle the situation better to the experience you describe. We thoroughly looked into these issues and I have spoken with my team to make the appropriate corrections to smoothen the operations.

We hope that you will stay with us again on your next trip and I want you to know that your repeat patronage is very important to us.

Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Had a 5 day 4 night stay at this property. Here are my two cents' worth.
PRO
1)On arrival, staff escorted us to the club floor for immediate check in.
2) Beautifully designed room.
3) Evening canapes were good but dim sum was appaling being a chinese hotel right in southern china. Similarly the dim sum for breakfast, served at 988 restaurant was pathetic.
4) There is only 1 staff by name of Ruby at the 988 cafe rendered me with great service probably she knew that i was a foreinger as english was spoken. She saw my tea was somewhat cold and she offered a new pot of hot one. Such minded staff at this hotel is a rarity and it therefore is a gem.
5) One staff , Alin a trainee on club floor was friendly and ready to serve.

CONS
1) On arrival, at about 7pm no one was picked up my rather bulky luggage, entering the hall, i asked to be escorted to the club floor where i checked in and to be told that my 2nd n 4 th nights are denied of using club floor as they were my complimentary nights from Accor Advantage Plus. I asked if i could have the priviledge to be upgraded. With a cold face, a big fat NO despite that my 2 fully paid club floor room nights.An upgrade fee had to be paid which i refused. In fact i was even asked to change rooms on each night due to the different category. I questioned the staff about the leniency on club floor. Having stayed at a few different Sofitels in Asia, that was certainly a FIRST to me and i thought it certainly defeated the purpose of having a club.

2) arriving late, i had missed the afternoon tea and i had only half hour to spare for the evening cocktail whicb ended exactly at 7.30pm. At 7.40pm, a staff was clearing the wine counter, the one who checked me in. i asked if those time should be strictly adhered to. Failing to get a remedy for arriving late, she gestured me to her watch. What the heck, i thought is this sofitel should exude and more so on a club. Call me a nat pricker but this dissapointed me to the core. Thabk goodness for another staff , Alin who replenished the canapes and two boxes of dim sum as she was fully aware of my late arrival due to the unfavourable weather condition at the airport. I suggest thier management to send thier club floor staff to Sofitel Manila and Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit and learn the level of service particularly thier Club Millesime.

2) No consistency in the nighly evening turndown service. Again, please learn from the Sofitel Manila to see how they pamper thier club floor guests. While you might argue different hotel adopts different appraoched and mechanism but why then use the franchise of Accor sofitel?

3) No newspaper delivery on every morning, i had to request for it on the first second night and it was gone on the consecutive mornings.

4) During check out at the club floor, i asked if i could have something to drink. Before i muttered it, if my wish is granted i would consider my patronage on my next visit to GZ. To disappoint me further i was being denied of having a drink before i left as i was firmly and strictly told that it was my privieldge to enjoy the benefits. I contained my anger and frustration but to tell her that why it had too be so rigid and fixed with the rules. A bit of leniency would go a long way. Eventually, she did. Sofitel is the top range of Accor group which the hotel itself is heavily promoted. With while the property boasts stylish and contemporary rooms, it certainly did not render me a good stay, let alone "magnifique" which the hotel heavily stressed about. Will i consider to give it another chance? Definitely no, after all there is a cluster of new and established hotels within the same range for me to carefully and delightfully choose from.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CheongKamHoe
Management S, General Manager at Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear CheongKamHoe,
Bonjour! Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is with much regret to read that we did not reach your expectations during your stay with us and please allow us to express our sincerest apologies for this.

We take your comments seriously, as it helps us to maintain high standards of quality, service and comfort for our guest staying. Thanks for taking the time to review us and hope you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you again in the near further.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

The Sofitel Guangzhou is not only a beautiful hotel with an impressive lobby, it holds a variety of F&B outlets, a very relaxing spa (where I experienced an excellent massage), fitness and more, all aiming to offer the guest a comfortable stay. The rooms are comfortable, stylish and spacious. Apart from the impressive facilities, the staff was very welcoming upon arrival and friendly during the stay. At night the bar on the 8th floor with an outside terrace is a lovely place to hang out while enjoying some nice wines and music. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Loupie11
Dear Loupie 11,
Bonjour! We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide us your feedback, that I have shared with our team.

We pride ourselves on our hotel property and I am glad to see that our superior customer service to make your stay more comfortable.

It is thrilling to hear that you will stay with us again. We also very much appreciate your patronage, and look forward to being of service to you again soon.

Macau, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I booked my stay via the official website of Accorhotels.com, where I found an attractive plan called "So Gourmet", The price of this plan is just about USD20 higher than the one with breakfast but can enjoy a USD50 coupon which can used in all restaurant of the hotel. So I finally chose this one.

When I arrived and check-in, the staff didn't tell me any thing about the coupon. We were hungry and so we rushed out to get food and forgot about this thing. Later, when we walked around Guangzhou and returned to the hotel and asked about the coupon, the staff told us there would not be any practical coupon, it is just a credit within our stay. And this credit would just valid till the mid-night of our first day. That meant that we had to use that USD50 before 12 or it would be gone. We already had a plan that night, so in order to use up the money, we had to change our plan. This is a quite unpleasant experience with our stay there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Management S, General Manager at Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Olivia T,
Bonjour! Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We are so sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

I definitely look into SoGourmet voucher that you have noted, and make the appropriate corrections to smoothen the operations to this issue.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you, so you could experience our service enhancements.