“Great rooms with check-in teething issues”

Guangzhou Marriott Hotel Tianhe
Ranked #9 of 3,462 Hotels in Guangzhou
London
“Great rooms with check-in teething issues”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I stayed here twice in May. Both times I did request a king size bed and I didn't get it on both occasions! Also on my first check-in I had to wait ages to check-in. Only two staff were at the counter but a number of people were waiting to be served. Also I had a problem with my keycard to my room. I went down to get my keycard sorted out and again had to wait a long time to be served. I also overheard a lady before me also had the same problem with their keycard!

Finally I got to my room, after about half an hour, and it was impressive. The room was large and had a light beige wood theme. The room was modern and clean. The impression I got was that this must be a new hotel. The bathroom was large and housed a bathtub and a shower. Both times I was given a twin room rather than a king bed. The bed was comfortable. Unfortunately, wi-fi is not included in the price. Both times my room overlooked the unexciting Tianhe Road. The nearest metro station is Tianhe Sports Centre and the hotel is next to a very large shopping mall

For dining, I went to City Bistro for breakfast and dinner. Breakfast was included for me. I would say both breakfast and dinner was very good. A lot of international choices and not just Chinese. For drinks, I went to The Lounge. It's not a large bar but they do have live performances. The service at City Bistro and The Lounge was very good. I also tried Java+ but was disappointed that they didn't serve sandwiches. They had salads and pastries

If you don't speak Mandarin or Cantonese you will find it tough in Guangzhou. Hotel staff spoke good English but outside the hotel you will struggle to find English speakers. The metro and train stations are all signed in Chinese and English. Taxi drivers usually only speak in Mandarin (not Cantonese or English). Best to write down address in Chinese and ask hotel staff how much roughly it will cost to get there. Taxis, at the end of the journey, automatically give you a receipt. If you're not happy with your fare suggest you take this receipt and make sure you have the taxi license number

I would say I did enjoy the hotel despite the check-in issues and I couldn't get a king bed twice. I probably try a different hotel in Guangzhou so I compare it with the Marriott. A good solid choice from the Marriott name though

1 Thank Stanley2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

This is a very good business oriented hotel downtown Guangzhou. The hotel is new and the rooms are big and nicely decorated with music pod station for iphone and a kit of cables to connect any device to a big flat Tv screen. The main western restaurant serve good breakfast and decent meals.
The gym is good and there is also a swimming pool. If you want go local on shopping , outside the hotel there is a big shopping center where they sell everything from cloths to small electronic devices.
The hotel is downtown but be aware that Guangzhou has more than one downtown .
One thing I didn't like was the attitude of the girl at the front desk. When I arrived for check in she tried with an excuse ( no standard non- smoking room available ) to sell me the room upgrade. Of course my room was available and I had to push a bit to get it. I understand that negotiation is the core of Chinese commerce but in a Marriott hotel is a bit too much.

Last but not least, If you are light sleeper make sure your room do not face the very large construction site adjacent to the hotel. In China they work 24/7.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Medina, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Everything about this hotel is good. Rooms, Breakfast, Executive services, conceirge, staff...
The only thing that was negative for me is the location. Despite being situated at the heart of the modern district Tianhe, I found it not convenience for my trip purpose.
This my second business trip to Guangzhou.
The neighborhood is great but it didn't serve my personal needs.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Great location and easy access to get around. Next door to a mall so if you want to shop you do not have far to go. Walking distance to many attractions and restaurants.
Hotel rooms were great, and staff was decent. Main buffet restaurant could probably use a few more staff at peak periods as you could see people getting impatient for coffee refills and some attention.

1 Thank mikemurray2009
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Recently attended Canton Fair Phase 3, and stumbled upon this great hotel. Nice staff, especially Jeremy in the Executive lounge! Mostly English speaking, hotel is right next to a shopping mall!

Ate at the Buffet one evening, a bit expensive, but the quality of the food warrants it. Meal also came with free beer, which was nice. Also had the all you can eat Dim Sum at Man Ho, which was great!

Rooms are nice, new . . . great showers!

Right on a main drag, so easy in and out, plus a free shuttle to both the fair, and the train to HK!

Room Tip: High floor
1 Thank MadhatterFL
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

Unacceptable . Despite a written confirmation no room was available for me when I arrive . I have been waiting for a transfer at a 'sister' hotel more than 30 minutes . Did not know tags Marriott was doing such overbooking . Will not try it again for sure !

Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Severine R
Bangkok
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I booked a hotel car for pick up at airport - once there nobody there to be seen so went to a competing hotel chain representative and asked for Marriott and after a 20 min wait he found him with a notepad (no sign indicating Marriott hotel). After another 20 minutes of waiting the car was brought out and driven to hotel. In car Wifi is good!

Rooms are nice and up to Marriott standards.

Dissapointed with service on room service - orders were wrongly delivered, wine not available (on more than one option requested) and was suggested to order another bottle at twice the price instead which I did not do by principle...

Asked for suggestions for very closeby restaurants as I had a client dinner - and after 10 minutes was suggested to go in taxi for 15 minutes to a certain location.. I made a quick search of internet and found two very close by and asked hotel to advice on these and reply was that these were now out of business. Therefore asked client to make booking from his hotel 5 min away and we had a great meal within 5 min from hotel.. But once going back to my hotel I see the restaurants that were supposed to be out of business very much in business...

Basically hotel is nice in terms of rooms and facilities but service standards needs to be improved so as to be equal to other Marriott properties....