“Very good hotel stay”

Guangzhou Marriott Hotel Tianhe
Ranked #9 of 3,522 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The location is very convenient and easy to get to the airport. The hotel is in good condition, and the staff there were very polite and friendly. I sometimes felt that the hotel was a bit impersonal though but it was busy so maybe everyone was stress. Breakfast was very good as expected, but I agree with another reviewer that said the buffet was a bit disappointing. It wasn't bad but given the price, I expected a bit more. Overall though a good location and very nice hotel to stay at in Guangzhou.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Were there for 3 days of business trip .. had initial hiccups in check-in and subsequent room change and was told some misleading information too...

The good points first: the location was excellent.. right in the center of the shopping street of Tianhe road. Room was fantastic, clean and modern. Breakfast quality can be improved but evening food at executive lounge was very good. We've made use of the business meeting room too, which was very nice and comfortable as well.

The hiccup now: Be warn... below is a long paragraph of the hiccup.. but I would like to compliment both Julie Zhang for taking the initiative for informing the duty manager Sam Xu and Sam Xu for promptly apologising for the hiccup when he came to look for us in the executive lounge. He was at least honest to clarify that the room given was a deluxe room and not the executive rooms as those rooms are full and charge us only the deluxe room rate. If not for Julie Zhang for her initiative in informing Sam and Sam immediate action to get us a new set of room cards (and he mentioned he personally check them to make sure it has the right room, wifi access and executive lounge access) and came to us personally to clarify and apologise, I will probably give this hotel a 3 star rating for such absurd hiccups.

The hiccups happen during our check-in, my colleague and me were supposed to be checked into executive rooms but were told there were full. Thus we were given deluxe room but still with breakfast and executive lounge access. We were told we can change to the executive rooms the next day and all we need to do were to leave our luggage packed and inform the front desk when we leave for work the next morning. Next morning, I did that and inform the front desk about my colleague name so that her room can get changed as well. However, the front desk took a pretty long time to check their system and the front desk woman was giving me an "are you sure?" look. Anyway I left my card and left. When we came back to the hotel during noon time, we headed to the lounge and told the front desk to send the keys to us. The keys took quite a long while to reach us and I clearly told the person who sent the key to me to make sure they have given me the right keys and switched the right luggage (and not get mixed up with my colleague's room & luggage). We head out to work again and came back in the evening. To my disappointment, the room key was wrong! I have to head down to the front desk to get them to change.. when I head back up again, the luggage in the room was wrong! So I headed down as I wanted to pass my colleague luggage to them (as I have no idea of my colleague's room number). After I pass the luggage to them and told them the hiccup, they mentioned they will promptly switch the luggage and send it up. I waited for more then 20minutes and luggage still did not appear!! So I called the front desk to enquire and they seem confused, anyway I decided to head for the lounge... only to my disappointment that the card didn't allow me lounge access! I have to head to the front desk again!! I've not mentioned the wifi access was not enabled and I have to key my previous night room number to get through. When I headed down to the front desk, I saw my luggage there waiting and I have to tell them that's mine! To make matter worst, the room that was given was on the 10th floor, clearly not the executive rooms on the 19-21 floor (as indicated in the lift), but the front desk insist these are executive rooms.

1  Thank Toffee12
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights and it was good. I regularly stayed in nearby sheraton tianhe and now I probably will switch here due to better overall experience.
The location is just next to a big shopping mall. The service from reception to waitress at restaurant was excellent.
We dined every morning and buffet at city bistro during our stay. The buffet was nothing to shout about,it just okay in terms of food quality and varieties.
The indoor pool and facilities were top notch.
Things to improve are :
*Shower pressure was weak (room 1415) or may be all rooms were the same
*Beds were too soft and not really top quality beds were used (its pity because otherwise Marriott Tianhe is a perfect hotel in GZ )
*More Pillow menu and higher quality pillows will be good because their neck supporting pillow were not as good quality as the one offered in sheraton dongguan i stayed earlier ( We are in interior and mattrass industry so we know the quality for these items )
If above 3 issues can be sorted,then I woould give full 5 stars rating on the stay.

1  Thank Andrea Aprillan... W
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

As a Hyatt Diamond member I was pleasantly surprised by the top notch product and service I received from Marriott GZ Tian He.

Centralized downtown location, easy access to the airport, ample space and new accommodations make this a great value.

Service was superb. Everyone from maintenance to GM was gracious, friendly and smiling. Staff was top notch.

The property was very clean, rich and modern. Nearby construction could be heard from my 20th floor, yet if a/c was on it would drown out the noise. Pool area was fantastic.

Executive lounge was spacious, well staffed by Mia, Henry and all. The team was excellent. Top tier service.

Food was great, well prepared and inviting to most tastes. Well balanced western and Asian tastes.

I highly recommend one stay here when in the GZ Area.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 5 days on business and am pleased as this was my first time in Guangzhou. The hotel is quite new and clean. It is centrally located and is close to major shopping centres, transport and restaurants.Staff are very helpful and gym and pool facilities are great. Breakfast offers a variety and i especially like the omelette section where you can choose your ingredients and they make it for you.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank YogCT
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I have been to Guangzhou before and usually stayed at the Marriott China Hotel but this time i decided to try the Marriott Tianhe. I'm pleased that I did. Although I still like the China Hotel, I think this hotel is slightly better as it is newer and the location is great. The staff are great, the room standards are excellent and the restaurants are also good. Next door is the Grandview Mall Shopping Centre with a metro line station, there is also a big underground supermarket "Taste" next door. The location is right in the CBD there is plenty to see in your spare time. Also the Executive Lounge is very good with friendly staff, the in-room internet is very fast and I never had any problems connecting. I would recommend this hotel for business and also for families.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stay at this hotel for 3 nights 2/6-2/9. Called before check in to change room type. stuff are helpful and be able to change my room type fast. Even I do check in early. and they still found a nice room for me! Interior of the room a nice. Location for the hotel is very close to MTR. Guangzhou is my hometown, but however I have been out for almost 24 years. Staff is very helpful to pointing out the directions for me to get into the place that I want. Next time visiting GZ. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends