“Okay for the price - but it's not Westin for the quality”
Review of The Westin Pazhou

The Westin Pazhou
Ranked #10 of 3,408 Hotels in Guangzhou
Hong Kong, China
“Okay for the price - but it's not Westin for the quality”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Stayed there for 2 times, and felt the quality of room and dining wasn't improving. Yes the decoration of room was contemporary but they need to have improvements on basic things - like the hot water wasn't hot enough and the switch from shower to the rain forest shower was extremely inconvenient. The buffet was pricey without extensive choices of food. The most positive thing about the place may be the location. It is very close to the canton fair and Poly Expo center. It takes only 3 minutes walking there.

Probably they should review their strategy. Customers choosing Westin are not that price-sensitive but quality and customer experience.

Room Tip: try to request higher floor or the "river view" would be blocked quite a lot by the Canton...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Selina C, Manager at The Westin Pazhou, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear Michaelchs,
Thank you for staying with The Westin Pazhou again. We really appreciate that you’ve taken time to share so many helpful suggestions with us. Your comments about the hot water and buffet would be communicated with relevant departments so that we could constantly improve our standard and service. Sincerely look forward to your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Located far from the city's attractions, the hotel is geared towards Canton Fair visitors but there is a subway station within walking distance. Was politely greeted at check-in and it didn't take long before they realize my elite status and was offered an upgrade plus a welcome gift (extra SPG points or free internet). The corridor was completely dark as I exited the elevators and did not turn on as I struggled to find my room and the key slot. The wifi connection was fast and stable. The room was quite large although not as big as their Westin counterpart in Tianhe. The biggest downside I noticed was the bellboys did not proactively open doors for me in the lobby. Otherwise, the stay was quite pleasant although I would prefer to be closer to the city next time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Selina C, Manager at The Westin Pazhou, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear hkg2009hkg,
Thank you for staying with The Westin Pazhou and taking time to review our hotel. It is good to know that you’ve enjoyed your trip. We would look into the corridor issue you mentioned and avoid same kind of inconvenience for our guests. Thank you again for your suggestions and look forward to welcoming you back.
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

I travel a lot in Asia and as a SPG I chose the Westin pazhou for my stay during the canton fair a few months ago. First of all the prices are ridiculous during that fair, obviously due to the demand of international guests attending the fair. However considering the price, and the fact, that the hotel is ran by an international chain, with staff from all over the world, I must say that this was probably the biggest rip off, that I have ever experienced in a Hotel. I determine a hotels quality by considering 2 variables; the price and the service received. Moreover this should be anyone's main considerations to evaluate the hotels quality and this hotel has completely failed to satisfy my needs in service, quality and price-value. But enough of this , lets get in to the details.

I arrived Guangzhou by airport and took a taxi to the hotel, I was impressed by the building, but also a little upset due to the location (in the middle of nowhere) but this I don't see as a negative point because it is probably the hotel with the best access to the canton fair complex and so I don't mind staying far away from attractions. The bell boy greeted me by opening the taxi door and escorted me to the front desk, where a young gentleman checked me in. I received the usual informations about the hotel and got my keys with the directions to my room. Until this point my Westin pazhou experience was amazing, the lobby looked nice and the staff seemed very professional and caring. However when I entered the room, I saw the first thing that pointed me towards the thought, that the material and craftsmanship put in to this building are below any quality that I have ever experienced in hotels. All the wooden furniture is scratched and the drawer where the minibar is located, is about to fall off every time u open it, furthermore the toilet has problems flushing and the telephone in the bathroom hangs by its electric wires. Last but not least, the scale in the bathroom looked like it never got wiped with a towel or even looked at by the cleaning lady's. The only thing that indicates, that this room is located in a 5 star hotel, is the size with 50 square meters, which is larger than any standard room in a 5 star hotel, that i have stayed in so far, but that's it! It doesn't take an expert, to see that the hotel has major construction issues. This leads me to the food quality, the buffet at the western restaurant costs you about 60 dollars, which seems expensive but okay, if the service and the quality of the food is up to 5 star standards. Unfortunately, the Westin pazhou has failed to match the quality with the price again. The section with the cold starters looked ok on the first sight, but a closer look showed, that the creme cheese and the mustard were probably opened a month ago and still in use. The western buffet was equipped with food items, that are far way from something that a western person would eat and every food Item was cold. Also the chef behind the pasta section did not speak a word of English, not even the word "pasta", after 5 min I received a huge portion of pasta, which could easily feed 3 people, but the chef clearly had no idea on how to cook pasta, given the fact, that the pasta looked and felt in my mouth like mashed potatoes ( overcooked). At this point I realized, where this was going with the overall quality of the hotel. After dinner i decided to go to the concierge, to get some informations about the sorroundings of the hotel, but unfortunately the concierge was unable to explain me anything in English, so he ended up giving me a map with some informations. Maybe it was a bad day for me at the Westin pazhou, but everything until this point had been a big disappointment, given the fact that I have spent 500 USD per night. The last big disappointment came from the IT departement, the Internet connection both in the room and lobby were slow and unstable, it made me think of Internet back in the 90s. Seriously I could not even open yahoo news without waiting 5 min and this is unacceptable for a hotel that positions itself towards business guests.

However given all these experiences and issues, that I went through, I must say that this is probably the worst hotel stay that I ever had, considering the price and the value. Furthermore, I could see that the hotel is also ran by overseas staff, probably from Europe and I think these managers should take a good and hard look at their workplace, because it seems that this hotel was planned and is operated by amateurs, that do not understand how a 5 star hotel should be build and managed!

All of the above might sound hard and maybe this is a very individual evaluation from me and maybe I am a very picky guest , because there are many others that seem to be satisfied by the quality of this hotel, but anyone that has a common idea about quality and hotels should know that this hotel is far away from being a 5 star hotel.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jens S
Selina C, Manager at The Westin Pazhou, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Dear Jens S,
Thanks for staying with us during last fair and taking time to share your experience. We really appreciate your detailed feedback which is so valuable for us. At the same time, we notice that we have failed in meeting your and our expectations in some aspects, which we all sincerely regret and apologize for. Your review has been shared with hotel management team and we are now taking a deep look into all the mentioned problem areas. The 114th Canton Fair is now coming. Your suggestions will definitely help us to improve our service and offer a better stay experience for guests. Hopefully, you could be impressed by our improvements during your next stay! Thank you.
Hong Kong
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This was possibly the best Westin I have ever stayed in.

It was very new, with huge rooms—advertised as 50 square meters, with an open plan bathroom (sliding walls are there if needed) so that it looks even bigger. There’s an ipod dock, umbrella, robes, sturdy wooden hangars, and the key amenities including basic stationery like stapler, clips and ruler. The shower offers a standard movable head, or the rainforest shower which seemed very lush. The toilet also offered two flushes—one light and one heavy. The whole place was spic and span.

Huge pool, 25 meters long, at least 15 meters wide, with two lap lanes. It was sparkling clean and yet the water not over chlorinated. Nice gym too, and sneakers if you forgot yours. And there is even a tennis court, although I unfortunately had no time to try it. The food was also pretty good, and in line with a five star standard. But there were also “healthy” options, and plenty of vegetarian choices.

Maybe none of the above is very special—but the whole effect made me feel like I had hit the jackpot. That’s because the rate was at least 20%-30% lower than all the other five star hotels in Guangzhou. Why? Here is the only downside: The hotel is in the middle of “nowhere” , near the convention and exhibition center, around 20-30 minutes from center city. So outside the Canton Fair is pretty much a dead zone. It’s a newly planned area of Guangzhou, meaning no street life whatsoever. There’s not even a convenience store to be seen.

Well, hopefully you won’t have to leave the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Selina C, Manager at The Westin Pazhou, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear pamarx200,
Thank you very much for taking time to share your stay experience in details. Your review would definitely be helpful for other travelers. Westin hotels are all about wellness and designed for a better you. We are glad to find that you’ve noticed and enjoyed our healthy options such as the gear lending program, SuperFoodsRx menus and Heavenly Bath®. And to answer your concern, there is a convenience store on the ground floor of the hotel building to offer commodities. Hope you will find this information helpful during your next stay with us. We will be more than happy to welcome you back soon in the future. Thank you!
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I come to Guangzhou almost every month, but normally stay in other Starwood properties. Due to the exhibition I decided to stay at Westin Pazhou. The stay was just great. I received my SPG platinum upgrade to the suite,... but not just a suite,.. a great suite. The lounge on the 39 floor is great. All the staff was very helpfull! From the 3rd floor there is a direct access to the fair which is great. The pool is open till11which is good!

negative:
-they have a buggy that says they drive you to the ther side of the exhibition (over the bridge) but that was is not functional, so I hot sweaty a few times bz walng in the35 degrees.
- the pool stays open long, but at the end of the day the changing room is not clean at all. here the can improve.

I will consider making this my steady SPG address in Guangzhou,... especially when there is an exhibition.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dutchguy_in_Allgau
Selina C, Manager at The Westin Pazhou, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Dear Dutchguy_in_China,
Thank you for staying at The Westin Pazhou and taking time to share your comments with us. We are glad to learn that you’ve enjoyed the suite, the executive lounge and our location. At the same time, we really appreciate your helpful suggestions about the shuttle golf cart and also the changing room. We will look into the issues and see how we could improve and offer better service. Sincerely look forward to seeing you soon.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Stayed here with my husband whilst he was attending an event at the exhibition center. This hotel is fairly new and everything about is shiny and pristine. The lobby is large and welcoming and the staff are courteous and efficient. We had excellent views of Guangzhou from our room and even though its not in the center of town, its easy enough to get anywhere by a quick taxi ride. My husband is an SPG platinum member and as such we had access to the executive floor. Such a great place to relax after a long day of sight seeing and shopping (well for me anyway!) My husband comes to Guangzhou quite often and says that this is one of the best places to stay. Great job Westin Pazhou on surpassing the common perception of bad service in China.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Selina C, Manager at The Westin Pazhou, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Dear Elizabeth V,
Thank you for staying with The Westin Pazhou and taking time to share your reviews. It is really great to see your nice comments and learn that you and your husband have enjoyed this trip. Since your husband will come to Guangzhou quite often, we believe we’ll meet again soon in the future. We look forward to offering you and your husband more renewal and comfort.
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 June 2013

This was my first visit to the Westin Pazhou as when in Guangzhou, I usually stay at the Westin Guangzhou. From arrival where Gabrielle at reception was so friendly and efficient! As always, the service is always the differentiator and the service here is absolutely superb!

I stayed in room 3915 and was very well-designed and spacious as one would expect in a one-year old modern hotel.

The Executive Lounge is very comfortable and service there is absolutely faultless.

The hotel is a short walking distance away so very convenient for those coming to Guangzhou for exhibitions and the Canton Fair but is a short taxi ride away to restaurants and shops.

I didn't have time to try the restaurants or facilities at this hotel but they looked very impressive.

I will return to try these at the earliest opportunity!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 3915 which I recall was the second to highest floor. As mentioned, a superb room an...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Selina C, Manager at The Westin Pazhou, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Dear RayC888,
Thank you for staying with The Westin Pazhou and sharing your hotel reviews and photos. It is our honor to receive your nice comments and recognition towards our guestroom and executive lounge. I really love your photos, especially the Guangzhou night view one. Hope you could always find renewal and relaxation when you are with us in this beautiful city. Sincerely look forward to meeting you again soon in the future.