“Worked for me”

Ranked #43 of 7,163 Restaurants in Guangzhou
Price range: US$7 - US$73
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Irish, International
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Description: As the biggest western bar & restaurant in Guangzhou, McCawley's should be high on a things to do list when in town, at almost 1,000 square meters and is conveniently located on Hua Li Lu. Spread out over two floors, on arrival the first thing everyone will notice is the amazing facade that stretches over 30 meters wide. Fitted in hard wood and stained antique the facade is finished with old lanterns and brass goose-necks. Giant brass letters spelling out McCawley's confirms you have arrived at the right place. Food is extremely important to our operation and we have dedicated 200sq meters of our premises to the Kitchen Area - our menus will be a mix of Traditional Pub Food & Gastro Pub Food with a selection of Tex-Mex & Thai favorites included. The award winning Butcher's Block Steakhouse is located on the 1st floor. Prime imported steaks are cooked in the Josper charcoal oven, makes it definite place to visit.
Ko Samui, Thailand
“Worked for me”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I went on a Thursday night with a Chinese friend. I had the half-price chicken fajitas and he had cream cheese and smoked salmon sandwich. Mine was excellent. The chicken was flavoursome, not rubbery and served on a iron plate with onions and a few chillis (sweet and hot). A basket contained warmed soft flat bread and there was a dish with tomato salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Al that so you can build your owen customised fajita (if your name is Owen). My friend also scored a cup of perfect fat chips and a salad bowl. Add a wooden encased collection of western sauces and condiments. Well cooked, presented and served. Food service was at western relaxed speed so I had a cold Carlsberg while waiting.
Western music playing, cool a/c, clean toilets, mix of ex-pats and Chinese.
A nit-pick: for an Irish pub not very Irish in theming, beers or menu but they do have bangers and mash and Irish lamb stew. I did hear U2 at one stage believing but still looking for what they haven't found.
They ticked all the boxes for me.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Instantcalmer
Tait D, General Manager at McCawley's Irish Bar and Restaurant, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Hi Instantcalmer,
Thankyou for your kind works regarding your McCawley's, we appreciate it when our valued customers give us a review. We will be featuring live music shortly upstairs so we hope you will be able to visit to check out our new house band. Sorry we can't be a little bit more Irish but we do strive to be a place where our customers feel they have a home away from home.

Thankyou again.

McCawley's Irish Pub

Guangzhou, China
“Best pub in town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

athmosphere at the McCawley s is the original one you expect from a real pub,beer and food are of excellent quality and the menu variety is great spacing among traditional pub food to tex mex and without forgetting some healthy options. Very convenient the happy hour before 10:00 p.m.
the meat is of a really hight quality so you must order a good burger or their steack sadwich. Delicious , above the McCawleys they just open a steack house and they share the same menu and meats.. I must say one of top quality meat restuarant in Guangzhou.
Service must improve as waiter are often unable to understand you properly and not very efficient.

• Visited May 2014
Hi Emanuele,
Thankyou for your support from the team at McCawley's. We are happy to know you enjoyed our menu and had a good time here. Our staff are currently undergoing intensive training so I hope you see a difference in the next few weeks in the efficiancy.

Thanks again for your review.

McCawley's Irish Bar.
Guangzhou, China
“They served noodle with spoilt salmon with terrible smell”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

The place is full of foreigners who drink and eat. I used to go there from time to time and waited for my order for more than 40 minutes. But then I was served a salmon noodle with bad smell. Rotten spoilt smell. I complained. That manager came out with the cook and started telling me that I invented it and what I said had nothing to do with reality. I asked my friend to smell it before they took the dish away. They started abusing me with their words. Creepy people! Stay away! I was so disappointed that they accused me of saying nonsense. Though, my friend could smell the same odor. Cheap three levels down people! Extremely insulted! They think they can harm people's health serving spoilt food and accuse people who complained of being not adequate. A foreigner manager with white-silver hair. Absolutely stubborn cheap person.

Visited November 2013
Tait D, Manager at McCawley's Irish Bar and Restaurant, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Hi Julia,
Thankyou for bringing this to my attention, as I was away when this incident occured. I will be looking into your concerns and the way your intial complaint was handled and doing a full review. Please accept my sincere apologies and if there is any thing I can do to make it up to you let me know.

Thankyou,
tait@mccawleys.com
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere with 10-10 Happy Hour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Exactly what it says in the title, brilliant atmosphere, sports constantly playing and 10am-10pm Happy Hour on some beers, margaritas, baccardi breezers and more!

Have been a few times now and am never disappointed!

Visited May 2014
Hi Victoria,
Thankyou for your support, hope we can carry on living up to your expectations and hopefully we will never disappont.

Thanks again for your review.

McCawley's Irish Pub
Wuxi, China
“Not bad for Guangzhou”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Maybe I'm a little too picky, but provided that this is Guangzhou, capital of the province with probably the worst source of food quality, McCawley's done much better than the other western restaurants.

But, it does bring back memories of home, so I'd still come back.

Oh, and for cheesecake lovers, you'll want to skip the cheesecake here... (Not that it's bad, but it's just not cheesecake...)

• Visited May 2014