“Not worth the money”

Ranked #2 of 3,396 Hotels in Guangzhou
Frankfurt, Germany
“Not worth the money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

Stayed there for the Canton Fair, price of the room was overated.
Check in was ok, but check out was a nightmare. Not enough staff, and couldn't understand english.
Breakfast has nothing to do with a 5 star hotel. Order an omelet, never received it on my table - took a while to get a coffee (which by the way taste terrible).
Would not come back!!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Ele N
MO_GUANGZHOU, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou on Trip Advisor. I sincerely apologize for your recent disappointing stay.

I regret to learn that your stay was not up to the standards of service we strive to provide to all our guests. I will share your comments with the team and reinforce training that focuses on providing excellent service that is gracious, personalized and attentive. We do not tolerate negative behavior from our colleagues and will address this seriously.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your stay. We appreciate your comments and hope you will reconsider with a return visit. Please contact our Executive Office by telephone on +86 20 3808 8888 or by e-mail at the address wwang@ mohg.com to be of assistance with any future reservations.

Clemens Hoerth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

Stayed here on business. Check-in wasn't that good. English was very poor, seemed management were busier chatting then actually helping. Breakfast was not good at all, not what 5 star quality should be. Luke warm food, servers didn't understand what coffee was. Overall a disappointment. I would not recommend this hotel for the outrageous price, maybe for half the price.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank NuffieCanuck
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I sincerely apologize for the deficiencies in service during your recent stay. We can offer no excuses for your disappointing experience. Please understand that providing excellent service that is gracious, personalized and attentive is our top priority and we continue to train our team of hard-working colleagues on a daily basis.

Thank you for your valued feedback. Although, we regret that we did not meet your expectations on this visit, we value and respect your opinion and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Shanghai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

I stayed at this brand new Mandarin for the 1st time for biz few weeks ago. I have to say it's very impressive in a lot of different ways.

Good:
Brand new hotel with stylish deco from the lobby, room, lounge and restaurant.
Convenient located in the heart of Tian He with the latest up market shopping mall right next to it with many good restaurants.
Very attentive services from the staff.
The room is quite big and nicely designed.
The food at all day dinning restaurant is very good. Must try the Tiramisu.

Bad:
The layout of the hotel is bit over partitioned with different sections, same with lobby and even room. It makes the places look like small and complicated like a maze.

Ugly:
GZ traffic is just as bad as in BJ and sadly the hotel is located in the wrong spot of the busy intersection. The traffic light could hold you up to 10min when you are approaching/leaving the hotel drive way.

To be fair, this is not a cheap hotel, but you get your money worth from hard to software they offer and it does make you feel like you are NOT in GZ, which is a big PLUS to most of the biz travellers.

I will recommend any biz traveller to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank eDUBShanghai
MO_GUANGZHOU, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a review regarding your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

I am delighted to read how much you have enjoyed your stay with us, and that the hotel location, the architecture of the building, the big and comfortable rooms, the food quality as well as the level of service exceeded your expectations.

We are sincerely honored to receive such a fantastic comment, and you can rest assured we will do our very best to deserve such high praises.

Once again thank you very much for your recommendation; I truly hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou in the future.

With my very best wishes,

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

I've always enjoyed staying at Mandarin Oriental hotels as each of them has its own unique charm yet maintains the same high standard in service. I was very pleased to have stayed at the new Mandarin Oriental in Guangzhou with a good deal and a nice room upgrade. The hotel design is clean and classic. I usually don't like hotels with dark color tones but this one gives me the right solid feel. I especially enjoyed sitting at their Loft bar. The room we had was nicely cut into two areas with huge windows surrounding our bed. You can imagine how lovely it must feel when the sun is streaming down.

Of course this doesn't mean the hotel is 100% perfect. I didn't understand the meaning of having the second sink in a complete different design. I suppose it would have been nice if the sink functioned well but the truth is the water kept splashing out. Don't expect any lady to like using that sink. Their shower drainage was also not working properly. I told this to the management and it seemed like they were well aware of this situation.

I also felt that the quality of their breakfast wasn't very high. I didn't get a chance to try a meal in their restaurant , therefore their breakfast was the only food I can comment on . It wasn't just the food quality that didn't match the hotel , the variety and staff service also seem to be lacking some competiveness to other good hotels.

The biggest disappointment though came from their spa. When it comes to spa and massage or any other well-being treatment people immediately think of Thailand. I must say the best massage I've had was at the Mandarin Oriental in Sanya. I really thought this one might be at least close to what I had in Sanya ....but then.... I've had enough of spas and massages to come to understand it's certainly not just about being in a luxuriously designed room, or have the masseuse asking how is the pressure or wether you like the smell of the essential oil. It's all about techniques! No guests would feel their money spent matched a good value if they could get the same result from a street massage chain.

Other than these personal opinions listed above, I did again enjoy my stay with Mandarin Oriental. Their staff was generally polite ( except for one evening on duty front-desk) and helpful even detailed to the security guard. I especially liked their front desk manager Lynny who initiatively asked my comments and critics. Every guest might encounter any difficult situation possible but what's more important to me is the attitude I receive from the hotel.

Room Tip: Some lower floors might get noise from outside as the hotel is located at a big intersection
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank SirKimmi
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your experience about your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou with the TripAdvisor Community.

I regret to hear that you did not feel as delighted as you should have expected, your comments regarding the room, dining and spa are well taken indeed. Please rest assured, that your comments will be shared with the entire team and thank you very much for such an honest feedback.

Once again, thank you again for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor Community. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

With best regards,

Sydney, Australian
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

I'm away every second week from home for work, so I'm not so easily impressed by a hotel. This brand new Mandarin in Guangzhou exceeds every expectation.
The trip was a short break away from Hong Kong. The staff here are amazing, from the pickup at the train station, check in, housekeeping and room service.
The rooms are luxurious, stylish and very comfortable, the whole place is so relaxing.
I went for a club room, and the club floor facilities and service are great, no half attempt at breakfast like some hotel club floors, there is a chef on duty for your eggs to be just the way you like them.
The gym, pool are spa are fantastic.
There importantly is such a warmth and generosity of service in this hotel that I will indeed be back many times. They've even provided the supplier details for some of the furniture int he hotel so I can get some.
The new town with the museums etc is only a 30 minute nice walk away. There are many shpping malls right near the hotel and a couple of IT centres.
Make sure you vist Shamin Island while you're there
Treat yourself to a luxury break, this is the spot.

Room Tip: go for a club floor, well worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank disport
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review and positive comments following your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

I am thrilled to read that the room facilities, the gym as well as the services provided by our colleagues have met and even exceeded your expectations. Your compliments mean the world to us. Our main goal is to always satisfy our customers and make them feel home away from home.

I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

With my warmest regards

Guangzhou, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

I made a reservation to stay at the mandarin oriental to celebrate my bday in march.
Since the moment of inquiring and making the reservation on the phone, the service was very top notch.

Once in the hotel, the service was very friendly and accommodating-- we stayed in the Club level and we had a champagne bottle and chocolate cake waiting for us in the room, all courtesy of the management with a signed note from the general manager which gave it a very personal touch.

One side note: as another reviewer mentioned in other comment: the beds are somehow on the hard side, could be a bit more "welcoming", we mentioned this to the mgt and they assured us it will be taken into consideration.

We also had drinks in the bar (I think its called The Loft?) and the ambiance was quite nice, offering a sort of semi private rooms. The whiskey offer is quite interesting. (Better selection than the Grand Hyatt bar and could be also as good as the Ritz's Churchill bar?).

The club features breakfast and afternoon drinks and snacks which we enjoyed fully. The Club level service was excellent and very very customer oriented. The food was freshly prepared and the menu (for the afternoon snacks) changed day after day which was quite nice.

We took advantage of the "The second night on us" promotion so we had the chance to enjoy all the weekend in the hotel, that is very well located and easy to access. At the moment, the hotel could be considered "secret pearl" that sooner or later it will be discovered.

Room Tip: The club level perks are quite nice-- but overall the rooms are quite new and big. The light block...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cristina J
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing such a generous review with the TripAdvisor community. I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed our hotel, including our Oriental Club Lounge, The Loft, and our legendary service. Please be assured that your positive comments have been shared with the rest of the team.

Once again, thank you for your review and endorsement. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

With warm regards,

Guangzhou, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

Last Thursday was 14Mar,it was White Day,my hubby booked the afternoon tea of Mandarin Oriental,Guangzhou to celebrate this day.

The location of Mandarin Oriental,Guangzhou is very good,it is next to Taikoo Hui,it is very convenient for shopping lovers.

When we arrived at the hotel,we were warmly welcomed by a smile from the doorman,when we asked where the Taikoo Lounge is,he led us to it with smile.The lobby was oriental and beautiful,the doorman was very nice,so the first impression of this hotel was great.

The Taikoo Lounge was situated on the 1st floor,it was large and the atmosphere was good.When we got in there at 15:00,the nice waitress just asked us how many people we were,after we said we needed table for two,she led us to the table,she was friendly and nice,however,my hubby had already made the booking of the afternoon tea on Wednesday,but she didnot ask if we had any booking.Around 15:30 they called my hubby to see if we were comming,my hubby told her that we had already been there for a while.I think that the waitress should ask the customer if they have booking first,that would be more considerate.

They offer two kinds of afternoon tea set,one is traditional,the other is chocolate,only RMB218/set/person,the waitress said we could share one set,the other one could order a drink.That was considerate,because the afternoon tea set included many cakes,although all of them were small,as afternoon tea,the portion is big enough for 2 persons.We chose the chocolate set,most of the cakes were tasty,we loved that!We will try the traditional set next time.
Before we left,their staff asked my hubby's comment,my hubby said that would be fantastic if there is Darjeeling tea in the menu,and then she went back to confirm immediately and told us that they offered the Darjeeling tea as well,but it was not in the menu,we can order it next time.This attitude was pretty good!

We love their cake so much,so we bought a cake in their cake shop after shopping,cake shop's staffs were nice too.The price was acceptable.

Overall,this hotel is excellent.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Penelope L
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing such a positive review with the Trip Advisor community.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our Taikoo Lounge and Cake Shop. Your kind words regarding the quality of the service and the friendliness of the staff is a reward for us.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou soon.

With kindest regards