“Best brunch EVER and best 5* product in town”

Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou
Ranked #2 of 3,430 Hotels in Guangzhou
“Best brunch EVER and best 5* product in town”
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I've been to this MO a few times since its opening, and always found it to be such a great product: huge rooms, stylish decor, friendly English-speaking staff. However, last Sunday I had the pleasure of eating at their Sunday buffet. What a treat! And for less than CNY400 per person with unlimited champagne, juices, cocktails, seafood, sushi, salads, roasts, desserts, pastas... this beats hands-down even the best of HK/Shanghai's brunches. Service was also very attentive yet unobtrusive and professional. If the weather allows, try and sit outside by the pool - a quiet haven away from Taikoo Hui's hustle and bustle. We were already on the late side of brunch so we were super delighted to know that from 5-7pm there's happy hour with 2-for-1 and unlimited free beef sandwiches. Again, an amazing deal. The quality of my business trips to GZ has truly changed since the opening of this MO - make sure you go there asap, before all the crowds discover this newly-opened hidden gem!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Paolof88
MO_GUANGZHOU, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us during your visit to Guangzhou and for sharing such a generous review with the TripAdvisor community.

I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed our hotel, especially our spacious guest rooms, the experience at our Grill Restaurant, Ebony and finally, our legendary service. Please be assured that your positive comments have been shared with the rest of the team.

Once again, thank you for your review and endorsement. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou during your next trip.

Clemens Hoerth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Just came back from this hotel. I stayed in Executive Suite for 2 nights with the "Your Second Night on Us" offer which will be valid until the end of August 2013. This attractive offer, location, the brand, interior design and leisure facilities made me to choose this hotel.

The whole experience was so closed to perfection from check in to check out. All the staff were willing to serve and listen. I am so sorry I am not good at remembering name. The lady (her home town is FuShan) on duty at concierge helped us a lot for the direction and public transportation to anywhere we wanted to go. I was lucky to meet the spa director by chance. She and two of the ladys on duty at the reception (one of them is from Hong Kong and the other may be called Eva or Ivy) were patient to listen my comment on the hotel. Certainly, there is room for improvement, but I believe the room is just very little.

The simple and contemporary interior design of the suite was gorgeous. Please see the photos I took. They say much more than my words. I liked the mattress and pillow so much. They made my neck pain disappeared. The Acqua Di Parma bathroom amenities impressed me. The big bathtub was comfortable. The quality of slippers were high. However, the hand shower was not strong and there was no door to separate the walk-in closet and the vanity section of bathroom . Also, I couldn't find any TV channel list.

The location is perfect. The hotel building is part of the Taikoo Hui complex which contains shopping mall selling world class luxury products with direct indoor access to the subway ShiPaiQiao station. It is also closed to other nice malls and restaurants locate under Marriott and Sheraton. Beware the main entrance of the hotel is on Tianhe East Road and the side entrance is in the mall even the offical address is on Tianhe Road.

On 4th floor, there was a jacuzzi, steam and sauna in the changing room, a outdoor heated swimming pool and a children pool. They were beautiful and I enjoyed them much. The 1.3m depth flat bottem and infinity edge reduce the wave in the swimming pool. It helps to swim smoother and faster. However, the size of them were not big enough for a hotel with 263 rooms and suites. The Spa and the gym are also located on the same floor. The "In Body" machine, which could tell how healthy about the physical body, in the gym impressed me so much.

I have stayed in some Mandarin Oriental. This one is the best. I am looking forward to the opening of Mandarin Oriental Shanghai.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SpaAddictor
MO_GUANGZHOU, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking your time and for sharing such a positive review regarding your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou with the Trip Advisor Community.

I am very delighted to hear that you have spent such a wonderful time at our hotel, especially I was pleased to find out that the location of the hotel, the room equipment, our Spa as well as our service totally satisfied and convinced you.

Your kind and enthusiastic comments are our best reward - rest assured that your compliments have been shared with the rest of the Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou team.

In addition, you may wish to know our sister hotel Mandarin Oriental, Shanghai opened in April.

Sincerely yours,

Singapore
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Having always stayed at Hyatt during my business trips to Guangzhou, I was open to trying out MO this time since it's closer to my office and a newly-opened 5-star hotel. The hotel is beautiful and the room layout is fantastic BUT... there's room for improvement. In as few words as possible, below pretty much sum it up:

Day 1
- 8 mosquito bites collected during my ride from airport to hotel in hotel limo (limo cleanliness/maintenance issue) - having spent 700 RMB, I would have hoped that the journey was more uncomfortable esp. I arrive past midnight.

Day 2
- blood stain on bed sheet (arrived 1.30am previous night and only realised this in the morning when I woke up) - I requested for everything in the room to be changed to a new set. Housekeeping Manager did come up personally to apologise.
- toilet flush broke down - they did get someone to come up and fixed it quickly

Day 3
- use coffee machine first time during my stay and disccover used capsule by previous tenant not removed
- 3 more mosquito bites collected at ground floor lounge. During my business discussion, I can literally see mozzies flying around the lounge

Day 4
- Hotel Manager called me after my office called them to complain. Did apologize and ask for some time tomorrow for GM to meet me when I am checking out at the stipulated time

Day 5
- GM of Hotel didnt appear. If you can't deliver your promise/word, then don't commit.

Front desk and breakfast did deliver service at a level where I can accept as 5-star hotel. Breakfast selection is a tad limited. I didnt encounter language issue mainly beacuse I am bilingual.

Despite the above, I am giving it an average rating for the other plus points.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are generally fine. Wifi was good and fast. Key areas to look out for is clean...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ckow
MO_GUANGZHOU, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou on Trip Advisor. I sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences caused to you and moreover, I would like to thank you for your time to discuss your comments in detail via telephone. As mentioned, I deeply regret for not being able to seeing you during the check out process and I would like to assure you that I have shared your feedback with my entire team. We are taking necessary steps that will enhance our usual attention to the expected service level. We highly appreciate your comments and I hope that you will reconsider a return visit. Please kindly contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Yours sincerely,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Arrival:

We arranged to be picked up by hotel car at Guangzhou East train station, arriving from HK. Greeting staff was very attentive and friendly, at attention with umbrellas as it was raining. The car (a Mercedes S class) was in perfect condition with (as I realised later) interiour colour matching the hotel colour theme. After a short 10 minute drive, we pulled into the hotel's dedicated drive. Greeting was genuinely warm and attentive. During quick no-hassle check in welcoming drinks were served and the concierge and f&b manager stood by to explain local options for this weekend break. I could hardly imagine a better and more efficient start to the weekend.

Hotel Grounds/Style:

A very modern interpretation of classical Chinese themes brought into the 21st century, creating an interesting combination of both stepping into the past as well as the future. Both the interior and exterior feel calm, using warm colours and natural materials with a focus on wood, natural stone and accents of cloth and leather.
The hotel is embedded into the high class shopping mall Taikoo Hui, but is separated enough not to get any through traffic.
The hotel features a fantastic spa and gym with outside heated pool and lounging area
With a lot of attention to detail, the overall theme of the hotel flows naturally in all areas creating a very calming atmosphere.

Rooms:

Extremely spacious rooms with the same calming colour scheme of the main areas. Rooms consist of a spacious bedroom featuring a day bed and work area, separate bathroom, dressing room and walk in wardrobe. Great mixture of traditional feel and state of the art technology and design. Creating a very homely feel and one does not feel like being in a hotel.

Service:

Extremely attentive, knowledgable service - making you feel like a honoured guest and a friend at the same time. Given the weather was less than perfect during the stay, staff was at attention to give us great tips what to do during our stay based on their own experiences. I cannot stress enough the welcoming personal experience.

The Good:

Don't know where to start… Everything! It's the overall experience

The Bad:

That I don't have time to come back soon.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank epicentre
MO_GUANGZHOU, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review and positive comments following your recent stay at the Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou with the Trip Advisor Community.

I am very delighted to hear that you have spent such a wonderful time with us, especially I was pleased to find out that the warm service of our team satisfied and convinced you.

Your kind and enthusiastic comments are our best reward. Please rest assured that your compliments have bee shared with the rest of the hotel team.

I would like to thank you for your time and effort, and I sincerely hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou soon.

Geneva
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Stayed recently at the gorgeous Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou during the Canton Fair. It's situated in a smacking location adjacent to taikoo mall. Impeccable level of service particularly in the restaurants. Bar staff were very helpful and entertaining. Will stay again soon!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank amazingtripsasia
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Mandarin Oriental during your visit to Guangzhou and for sharing such a generous review with the TripAdvisor community.

I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed our hotel, including the location of the hotel, the restaurant and our legendary service. Please be assured that your positive comments have been shared with the rest of the team.

Thank you for your review and endorsement. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou during your next trip.

Shenzhen
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I Stayed at this brand-new hotel some days ago. To be honest, check-in & check-out were very poor. There was not enough staff at reception. Also the waiters are neither efficient nor helpful. I could not understand how can such staff work in mandarin oriental hotel?
What impressed me a lot was the gym & swimming pool. Very very gooooooood! Also the room i stayed was nice too, especially the big and heart -like bathtub was very fantastic!
Surely I will recommend this hotel to all of my friends when they travel to Guangzhou as long as the services will be improved soon...

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are more preferred
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time and sharing your review with the Trip Advisor community.

I regret to learn that your stay was not up to the standards of service we strive to provide to all our guests. I will share your comments with the team and reinforce training that focuses on providing excellent service that is gracious, personalized and attentive. We do not tolerate negative behavior from our colleagues and will address this seriously.

Once again thank you for your taking the time to let us know of your stay. We appreciate your comments and hope we have an opportunity to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou in the future.

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Stayed there for the Canton Fair, price of the room was overated.
Check in was ok, but check out was a nightmare. Not enough staff, and couldn't understand english.
Breakfast has nothing to do with a 5 star hotel. Order an omelet, never received it on my table - took a while to get a coffee (which by the way taste terrible).
Would not come back!!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Ele N
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou on Trip Advisor. I sincerely apologize for your recent disappointing stay.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your stay. We appreciate your comments and hope you will reconsider with a return visit. Please contact our Executive Office by telephone on +86 20 3808 8888 or by e-mail at the address wwang@ mohg.com to be of assistance with any future reservations.