Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou
Hotels.com
  • Pool
US$262
Hotels.com
The Garden Hotel Guangzhou(Guangzhou)
US$232
Trip.com
Dongfang Hotel(Guangzhou)
US$122
US$97
All reviewscake shopshopping malltaikoo huiclub deluxe roomluxury hotelnespresso machinecorner suitewalk in closetthe club loungechinese restauranthome away from homehousekeeping staffthe general managerbusiness tripoutdoor poolwonderful hotelhotel room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I have recently returned from seven wonderful days at the new Mandarin Oriental in Guangzhou. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough – my experience from first to last was one of pure delight.
The hotel is new and has been designed with thoughtful and elegant attention to detail throughout, recalling Cantonese culture and tradition, and at the same time discreetly providing the modern touches and technology much needed by the international traveller. I saw three different types of room, all spacious and comfortable: they are an elegant mixture of Chinese-inspired and modern design, in soothing natural tones and textures, and with beautiful lighting – all features which continue throughout the hotel. Every effort is made to preserve one’s privacy and calm (for example, newspapers and laundry are delivered via a double-door integrated cupboard system, without disturbing guests). In every part of the hotel the overall feeling is one of harmony, from the Cantonese-inspired high ceilings and beautiful tall wooden doors to the last bathroom tap! The photographs on the website are very accurate but they don’t quite convey this feel of harmony and warmth – by the end of the first day in this serene environment I was already completely relaxed.
The quality of the food throughout the hotel is superb, and the choice of restaurants, bar and lounge fits the international traveller’s every mood and whim: the friendly, open-kitchen atmosphere of the Ebony grill looking onto the garden and pool area (delicious food and a great wine list); the easy sophistication of the exquisite Cantonese restaurant Jiang by Chef Fei; the elegant, comfortable Taikoo lounge at any time of day or evening (the afternoon tea was the only thing I didn’t get round to trying!); the intimate Loft Bar…not forgetting many happy and delicious breakfasts in the beautiful Oriental Club Lounge, where early evening cocktails are also a delight – the chef prepares something special every day (and even cooked my favourite roast duck on my last night!).
A particular pleasure for a tired traveller is the Spa, a haven of tranquillity and calm. Again, high ceilings, a harmonious and elegant décor, and a design which favours intimacy and personal space. I had three excellent massages by Amy, whose technique was wonderful and whose gentle, attentive but unobtrusive manner made me feel very comfortable. Unfortunately I was not able to try the pool because of the weather, but the pool area is extremely pleasant and green, again a welcome sanctuary away from the busy city.
Once again, Mandarin Oriental achieves an atmosphere of intimacy, warmth and elegance, with the personal touch. Once again, their legendary service and attention to detail make such a difference. From the warm welcome and helpfulness of the doormen at all times, to the excellent service in the restaurants, lounge and bar (and cake shop!), not to mention the superb team in the Oriental Club Lounge, the staff were without exception gracious, calmly efficient, genuinely warm and very professional, meeting my every need (often before I had identified the need myself!). After seven wonderful days I was sad to leave this superb hotel and am already looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
MO_GUANGZHOU, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review and positive comments following your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

I am delighted to read how much you have enjoyed your stay with us, and that the architecture of the building, the big and comfortable rooms, the food quality as well as the level of service exceeded your expectations.

We are sincerely honored to receive such a fantastic comment, and you can rest assured we will do our very best to deserve such high praises.

Once again thank you very much for your recommendation; I truly hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou in the future.

Withy my very best wishes,

Reviewed 26 August 2013

As a frequent traveler, I went to Guangzhou 5 times annually and each time I stayed in different hotels. I will choose the international branded hotels only since we all know China doesn't have any good management for its hotel business and international brands are the only thing could make me feel comfortable to stay with.

This time I chose Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou. I went there with my partner and we had a very great time.

For the room, it's amazing, nothing less than the Mandarin Oriental standard. Very comfortable bed. Bath and shower were great as well. Nothing I could say it's bad.

It is located right next to the biggest shopping mall in Guangzhou. The time I stayed was raining. The doorway to the mall is just the perfect solution to the boring Guangzhou day life.

Service was pretty good as well. Well-trained staffs gave me a great impression to the hotel. When I need a taxi, they called it for me with great attitude. Lovely!

I'm coming back for other meetings next month.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking your time and for sharing such a positive review regarding your recent stay at the Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou with the Trip Advisor Community.

I am very delighted to hear that you have spent such a wonderful time at our hotel, especially I was pleased to find out that the location of the hotel, the room equipment as well as our service totally satisfied and convinced you.

Your kind and enthusiastic comments are our best reward - rest assured that your compliments have been shared with the rest of the Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou team.

I would once again like to thank you for your time and effort, and sincerely hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 13 August 2013

I am constantly travelling in China and stayed in many hotels before. I must say the staying experience at the Mandarin Oriental Guangzhou in the weekend I just spent in Guangzhou was an exceptional one and I have to say it is the best hotel stay in China I have ever had.

The hotel design is stylish and elegant. The staff service was exceptional, it was natural and all smiles was from heart. The most amazing part was that the staff could anticipate my need and just provided me with the right service at the right time which I must have to say I do find it quite rare in China.

Every single detail during the stay was fantastic. Greatly appreciate the service from front office staff which provided smooth check-in, clear room introduction and executive lounge service was professional yet very warm.

The spa and fitness centre was like an oasis in the summer heat in Guangzhou, I enjoyed using the changing room facility, especially the cold mist from the experience shower. The fitness equipment at the gym was all of the top class quality which I truly enjoyed the working out during my stay.

I would like to acknowledge the great service I received from Ily at the check-in, Royce at the Fitness Centre and all the staff at the executive lounge.

The hotel and the staff delivered the Mandarin Oriental experience which I expected in full and made my Guangzhou trip a memorable one!! Will definitely recommend the hotel to anyone going to Guangzhou.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for your detailed review and positive comments following your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

I am thrilled to read that the design and ambience of the hotel, the room equipment as well as the services provided by our staff have met and even exceeded your expectations. Your compliments mean the world to us. Our main goal is to always satisfy our customers and make them feel home away from home.

I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

With my warmest regards,

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I would like to acknowledge the great service I received from the staff of the Mandarin specifically
Acemann Zhang &, Joey Le. I had an unfortunate health incident requiring the need to see a physician. Joey, the night duty manager arranged a taxi & a staff member ( Acemann) to accompany us to the Sun Yat Sen hospital. Acemann stayed with us through out our hospital experience - from registration to seeing the doctor & getting medication from the pharmacy even past his shift.& returning us back to the hotel. It was reassuring that Acemann was with us as we do not speak the language,
Overall the staff is professional & efficient & would highly recommend this hotel. We hope to have another opportunity to visit again....

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Viv17
MO_GUANGZHOU, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing such a positive review about your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou with the Trip Advisor Community.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel, in particular as you pointed out our well trained staff and the great service offered.

I am sincerely honored to receive such a fantastic comment, as our main goal is to always satisfy our guests and make their stay memorable.

I truly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

With my warmest regards,

Clemens Hoerth,

Reviewed 4 June 2013

I've been to this MO a few times since its opening, and always found it to be such a great product: huge rooms, stylish decor, friendly English-speaking staff. However, last Sunday I had the pleasure of eating at their Sunday buffet. What a treat! And for less than CNY400 per person with unlimited champagne, juices, cocktails, seafood, sushi, salads, roasts, desserts, pastas... this beats hands-down even the best of HK/Shanghai's brunches. Service was also very attentive yet unobtrusive and professional. If the weather allows, try and sit outside by the pool - a quiet haven away from Taikoo Hui's hustle and bustle. We were already on the late side of brunch so we were super delighted to know that from 5-7pm there's happy hour with 2-for-1 and unlimited free beef sandwiches. Again, an amazing deal. The quality of my business trips to GZ has truly changed since the opening of this MO - make sure you go there asap, before all the crowds discover this newly-opened hidden gem!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Paolof88
MO_GUANGZHOU, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us during your visit to Guangzhou and for sharing such a generous review with the TripAdvisor community.

I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed our hotel, especially our spacious guest rooms, the experience at our Grill Restaurant, Ebony and finally, our legendary service. Please be assured that your positive comments have been shared with the rest of the team.

Once again, thank you for your review and endorsement. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou during your next trip.

With warm regards,