“Great hotel, awful location”

Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou
Ranked #3 of 3,559 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

I was in GZ to meet a friend. Just one evening. Booked mandarin oriental via ctrip (fantastic rate, great service, highly recommended).

The hotel is very new and exceptionally well finished. Rooms are spacious with a fabulous split bathroom.

Staff was very friendly and helpful, but needs a more resourceful concierge.

Chinese restaurant is good. We have a late dim sum lunch. A slight struggle with language and my vegetarian diet, but it worked out.

Gym - small but everything you need. High quality machines. Love the hamstring stretch machine.

Bar - small whiskey bar. Good selection but no buzz. Semi private rooms. Good for business drinks but boring unless with a load of friends.

Spa - looked good but no time and very expensive. A massage costs a lot more than our ctrip.com discounted room rate.

All in all a very nice hotel connected to hong kongs swire run taikoo hui mall. The mall is fine if you want designer goods or Starbucks coffee, but not much choice other than that.

All that said, the location is a dump. There is nothing nice nearby and walking around the hotel was awful. Lot of traffic and old style shops.

May be nicer to stay near the river. But public areas in the highly rated four seasons were mediocre and pizza at the recommended caffe modde in the hotel barely passable.

W nearby had some buzz for younger people. The nightclub Fei seemed busy and an 'imported' live act was kicking it that evening.

Not sure what's choice would be if I returned to GZ. Mandarin is surely top quality but quite and in a terrible location. Maybe best to give GZ a pass unless you need to be here!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Asit852
MO_GUANGZHOU, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your experience about your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou with the TripAdvisor Community.

I regret to hear that you did not feel as delighted as you should have expected, your comments regarding the hotel location are well taken indeed. Please rest assured, that your comments will be shared with the entire team and thank you very much for such an honest feedback.

Once again, thank you for your time and effort, and I sincerely hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

With best regards,

Reviewed 4 November 2013

This hotel is new, great location next to an excellent shopping centre and centralized. Staff are professional to deal with, and concierge are very helpful. I would stay there again. It can do with a another restaurant in the hotel, maybe Italian to expand the choice. Besides that it's an excellent choice.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
MO_GUANGZHOU, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing such a positive review about your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou with the Trip Advisor Community.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel, in particular hotel location and our professional staff. I feel honored to receive such a fantastic comment, your feedback was already shared with my entire team.

I truly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou soon.

With my warmest regards

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Having stayed in various Mandarin Oriental hotel as well as other luxury hotels in Asia, not many other property accords the same level of Best in Class experience as the Mandarin riental Guangzhou.
From the moment I arrived at the hotel to the moment I departed, the service level was top notch in terms of attentiveness and sincerity.
Coupled with the extremely stylish, chic yet functional interior of the entire hotel especially the guest rooms, it provided a much appreciated home away from home comfort to a weary traveller.
And taking into consideration the room rates, the Mandarin Oriental Guangzhou definitely offers the best value for money I have ever had in a premium hotel!

Room Tip: Standard rooms were comparable to most luxury hotel rooms and definitely no worries on noise or suns...

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking your time and for sharing such a positive review regarding your recent stay at the Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou with the Trip Advisor Community.

I am very delighted to hear that you have spent such a wonderful time at our hotel, especially I was pleased to find out that the design of the rooms and the warm service of our team totally satisfied and convinced you.

Your kind and enthusiastic comments are our best reward - rest assured that your compliments have been shared with the rest of the Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou team.

I would once again like to thank you for your time and effort, and sincerely hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou soon.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 26 October 2013

This hotel epitomizes true Hospitality. Luxury in and out, in all corners and crevices. But in a casual and comfortable manner. Nothing intimidating - instead, a recognition of modern living, casual comforts - albeit in a spectacular setting. From the staff smiles to the nooks and crannies in all public areas and outlets, this property has perfected what all luxury hotels should aspire to achieve - making the guest feel truly at home - and in a luxurious home at that! Club level is perfect - you feel like you are dining in a friend's kitchen. No chafing dishes, nothing reminiscent of a buffet ... it is all about the personal experience. The quality of the room is superior to anything in the market. I would say that this is a real find, but this is exactly what I would have expected from a cutting edge and recently opened Mandarin Oriental. Beats anything in the market. Love it.

Room Tip: If you can splurge and land a corner suite on Club Level, do it - unbelievable.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review and positive comments following your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

I am thrilled to read that the design and ambience of the hotel, the room equipment as well as the services provided by our staff have met and even exceeded your expectations. Your compliments mean the world to us. Our main goal is to always satisfy our customers and make them feel home away from home.

I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

With my warmest regards,

Reviewed 2 September 2013

This is hotel has a good attention to detail and very high standards throughout.

The staff are exceptionally polite and attentive. They are able to confidently and professionally converse in English and do their best to offer whatever service or advice is required.

The room is large with very modern facilities of a top end hotel including wifi, wired internet, connectivity of your personal devices to the large TV. Good amenities in the room and the small touches of the electronic curtains/blinds make a classy finish.

The gym is large and well equipped and I never found it very busy. In the changing rooms is a sauna, steam room and jacuzzi all of which were exceptionally clean.

The restaurant (I used for breakfast only) was of a high standard with a mix of extensive buffet selection together with a separate menu to order from should you desire.

Bar on second floor was nice but a bit expensive.

Whilst far from the cheapest in town I thought this hotel offered excellent service, standards, amenities and a welcoming stay for the prices charged. Highly recommended.

I spend about 40% of my time travelling and staying in hotels around the world and whilst last week was my first stay, this place has immediately been elevated to one of my most favourite hotels in the world. This is of a similar standard to my world-wide favourite of the Ritz-Carlton in Shanghai.

I look forward to heading back to Guangzhou again this week to check back in for another week.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
MO_GUANGZHOU, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Mandarin Oriental during your visit to Guangzhou and for sharing such a generous review with the TripAdvisor community.

I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed our hotel, including the comfortable rooms, the gym, the restaurant as well as our legendary service. Please be assured that your positive comments have been shared with the rest of the team.

Once again, thank you for your review and endorsement. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou during your next trip.

With warm regards,

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I have recently returned from seven wonderful days at the new Mandarin Oriental in Guangzhou. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough – my experience from first to last was one of pure delight.
The hotel is new and has been designed with thoughtful and elegant attention to detail throughout, recalling Cantonese culture and tradition, and at the same time discreetly providing the modern touches and technology much needed by the international traveller. I saw three different types of room, all spacious and comfortable: they are an elegant mixture of Chinese-inspired and modern design, in soothing natural tones and textures, and with beautiful lighting – all features which continue throughout the hotel. Every effort is made to preserve one’s privacy and calm (for example, newspapers and laundry are delivered via a double-door integrated cupboard system, without disturbing guests). In every part of the hotel the overall feeling is one of harmony, from the Cantonese-inspired high ceilings and beautiful tall wooden doors to the last bathroom tap! The photographs on the website are very accurate but they don’t quite convey this feel of harmony and warmth – by the end of the first day in this serene environment I was already completely relaxed.
The quality of the food throughout the hotel is superb, and the choice of restaurants, bar and lounge fits the international traveller’s every mood and whim: the friendly, open-kitchen atmosphere of the Ebony grill looking onto the garden and pool area (delicious food and a great wine list); the easy sophistication of the exquisite Cantonese restaurant Jiang by Chef Fei; the elegant, comfortable Taikoo lounge at any time of day or evening (the afternoon tea was the only thing I didn’t get round to trying!); the intimate Loft Bar…not forgetting many happy and delicious breakfasts in the beautiful Oriental Club Lounge, where early evening cocktails are also a delight – the chef prepares something special every day (and even cooked my favourite roast duck on my last night!).
A particular pleasure for a tired traveller is the Spa, a haven of tranquillity and calm. Again, high ceilings, a harmonious and elegant décor, and a design which favours intimacy and personal space. I had three excellent massages by Amy, whose technique was wonderful and whose gentle, attentive but unobtrusive manner made me feel very comfortable. Unfortunately I was not able to try the pool because of the weather, but the pool area is extremely pleasant and green, again a welcome sanctuary away from the busy city.
Once again, Mandarin Oriental achieves an atmosphere of intimacy, warmth and elegance, with the personal touch. Once again, their legendary service and attention to detail make such a difference. From the warm welcome and helpfulness of the doormen at all times, to the excellent service in the restaurants, lounge and bar (and cake shop!), not to mention the superb team in the Oriental Club Lounge, the staff were without exception gracious, calmly efficient, genuinely warm and very professional, meeting my every need (often before I had identified the need myself!). After seven wonderful days I was sad to leave this superb hotel and am already looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review and positive comments following your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

I am delighted to read how much you have enjoyed your stay with us, and that the architecture of the building, the big and comfortable rooms, the food quality as well as the level of service exceeded your expectations.

We are sincerely honored to receive such a fantastic comment, and you can rest assured we will do our very best to deserve such high praises.

Once again thank you very much for your recommendation; I truly hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou in the future.

Withy my very best wishes,

Reviewed 26 August 2013

As a frequent traveler, I went to Guangzhou 5 times annually and each time I stayed in different hotels. I will choose the international branded hotels only since we all know China doesn't have any good management for its hotel business and international brands are the only thing could make me feel comfortable to stay with.

This time I chose Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou. I went there with my partner and we had a very great time.

For the room, it's amazing, nothing less than the Mandarin Oriental standard. Very comfortable bed. Bath and shower were great as well. Nothing I could say it's bad.

It is located right next to the biggest shopping mall in Guangzhou. The time I stayed was raining. The doorway to the mall is just the perfect solution to the boring Guangzhou day life.

Service was pretty good as well. Well-trained staffs gave me a great impression to the hotel. When I need a taxi, they called it for me with great attitude. Lovely!

I'm coming back for other meetings next month.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I am very delighted to hear that you have spent such a wonderful time at our hotel, especially I was pleased to find out that the location of the hotel, the room equipment as well as our service totally satisfied and convinced you.

I would once again like to thank you for your time and effort, and sincerely hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

Sincerely yours,