“One of the best in China”

Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou
Ranked #3 of 3,436 Hotels in Guangzhou
Aspen, Colorado
“One of the best in China”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

One big thing that you should consider about China hotels is the staff's fluency with English. China is now what i call "post-American". They are doing great business with themselves and the rest of Asia and so English is actually less emphasized now than it was 12 years ago on my first trip to China.

Mandarin Oriental sees itself more as an international hotel and of the 7 hotels on this trip scored the highest in staff mastery of English. Not to say you still won't struggle ordering coffee at 4:30am.

Additionally, the Chinese do not love air conditioning as much as I do (having been raised in Texas). This hotel had the best air conditioning. i could cool my room under 71 degrees (what seemed to be the minimum at most of the other hotels).

Mandarin has a 'Western' restaurant, too. Very, very nice.

Room Tip: On Yahoo maps, Guangzhou (pronounced "gwon jo") is a 90 minute drive to HKG but the staff...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TripReviews101
MO_GUANGZHOU, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your generous comment on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we would like to thank you for such a positive feedback. Please rest assured we will share your words with our entire team.

We would love to welcome you back soon to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

Clemens Hoerth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Phuket Town, Thailand
Reviewed 8 May 2014

When i chose and pay a 5 star hotel I expect the best of everything. My stay in MO was not perfect.
Very small lobby with no place to sit. Rooms are nicely designed but not perfect. Difficult light switches, uncomfortable sofa to watch TV, very high WC and no magnifying mirror with light.

Upon arrival i asked for the room internet password thinking always it was included in the room rate but to my surprise the front office lady said it was not included. When i complained that a real 5 star luxury hotel should have internet included in the rate, the poor answer from the lady was that my booking was not done thru the hotel web but thru CTRIP and the online agencies rate dont include internet. Poor decision from the management not to include rate and trying to make a ridiculous profit with the internet extra charges upsetting from the outset their customers. I complained to the lady but she refused to grant me my expected free internet.

Second surprise was that i wanted to eat something at 2.30 pm and they told me all the restaurants were closed and i could only order room service and eat in my room. First time i see that a luxury hotel does not have any open restaurant day time.

In the evening i was expected the usual special touch of a luxury hotel for the turn down service but to my another surprise the turn down service came without anything at all, no chocolate, no gift, no card, no nothing. Thats not a 5 star service!!

I was booking a dinner with the concierge when i asked him how much was the exchange rate of the day to the USD. Very easily he told me to go to the next counter - just one meter away -and to ask the front office staff about the rate. I asked him to go himself , found out and to come with the answer. Thats not the way to reply in a top service hotel.

When i wanted to change USD in front office they told me the maximum i could change was 500 USD per person per day. When I asked to change 1000 USD , 500 for my wife and 500 for me, they said it was 500 USD per room per day. When i asked why that policy they replied Management instructions. So i asked to change 500 USD only and to keep the other 500 USD as deposit to my bill. The new answer was they cannot keep deposit in foreign currency following again Management instructions. Other top hotel brands dont have such rules, sorry.

We requested the hotel limo, good Mercedes car, but the driver was playing the radio and listening
to his favorite channel instead of offering a selection of music or at least to play the hotel choice of relaxed music. Not nice.

Kudos to Angie, the Guest Relation Manager!

Good but not perfect.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Adi C
MO_GUANGZHOU, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time and sharing your review with the Trip Advisor community.

I regret to hear that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. I would like to thank you for bringing your experience to our attention and would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss your experience in detail at your earliest convenience. Please kindly contact me directly by telephone on 86 20 3808 8888 or via email at clemensh@mohg.com.

Despite your experiences, we do hope that we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Shanghai, China
Reviewed 4 May 2014

In China, a lot of hotels can be rated as 5 star for the hardware, but Mandarin Oriental makes it to more details and you can feel it from every details they made and from the smiles from the hotel staffs.

From check-in, we're warmly welcomed by welcome drink, quick check-in process and friendly staff who lead us to our room. The room is perfect with a hallway, a luggage area, separated toilet and shower / bath area. The room is equipped with capsule coffee machine, tea set, welcome fruits, and stationary. We brought our child together with us and the hotel staff quickly brought him slippers and robe.

The hotel is in the Taikoo Hui which is a nice place for shopping and restaurants. Parking is free in the underground parking lot and ask for the parking coupon when you check out. Wifi costs 120 RMB per day.

This is the first time I tried Mandarin Oriental Property, looking forward to experience other Mandarin Oriental hotels in other cities.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
MO_GUANGZHOU, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review and positive comments following your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

I am very pleased to read that you have overall enjoyed our hotel, including its location, the room facilities and especially our legendary service. Please be assured that your positive comments have been shared with the rest of the team.

Once again, thank you for your review and endorsement. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

New York
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This is a truly excellent hotel in every way. It is a real oasis of peacefulness in an otherwise frantic city. Large and well appointed room with an excellent view. The staff goes above and beyond to please. An outstanding breakfast buffet. We had dinner at the western restaurant 1 night and it was just good, not great.

We had a special introductory rate for the Canton Fair. I hope they offer something similar for future fairs, if so I will definitely be back. But I fear that as this new hotel gets more well know the prices will rise, as this property honestly is worth top dollar.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a review regarding your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

I am delighted to read how much you have enjoyed your stay with us, and that the big and comfortable rooms, the food quality as well as the level of service exceeded your expectations.

Once again thank you very much for your recommendation. I truly hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We visited MO Guangzhou 3 times in 6 months and did enjoy its consistently excellent and professional service. Room was perfect and gave us a tranquil experience with its mix of furniture, spacious layout and the oriental design flavor. We in particular enjoyed the Oriental Club and found it cozy to stay at allowing us to have a zip of a coffee, indulgence in yummy breakfast and evening cocktail and a personal quiet time to read a book. Food at Ebony and Jiang just excelled in quality and variety of choices. Mandarin Cakeshop is a wonderful delight and anyone must try. Last but not least, we found it irresistible to keep visiting the Spa giving ourselves a special treat for the mind and body.

We fell in love with MO Guangzhou and have surely taken it as an enjoyable home away from our home.

And, we need to mention this: the GM is such a gentleman who greeted us with warmth and personal friendliness every time.

Mr and Mrs Liu
Hong Kong

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kitty W
Dear Mr & Mrs Liu

Thank you very much for your detailed review and positive comments on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us.

I am thrilled to read that you have enjoyed so many aspects of your stay, including the perfect location of our hotel, the design of the hotel, the well-equipped and beautiful rooms as well as the attentive service of our staff. We are sincerely honored to receive such a fantastic comment, and you can rest assured we will do our very best to deserve such high praises.

Thank you, again for all your support and we look forward to welcoming you back to “your home in Guangzhou”.

Best personal regards

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We've just returned from a four-night stay at this magnificent hotel. We booked a Club suite, and were impressed from the moment we arrived. Décor is fantastic - a great blend of contemporary 'hip' and high-tech with extreme comfort and style. Our room was terrific, with a bathroom that ranks as one of the best we've seen. Bed was wonderful, superb comfort and excellent linen. Generous bottled water, Nespresso machine (a must for us!), great robes and nice amenities. The gym facility/area is one of the best.

The Club is fantastic - a beautiful relaxing space, with a great 'kitchen' area, serving excellent food and wines. A very good library collection too. The Loft bar is very impressive.

But it's the people at MO Guangzhou that impressed us most. We happened to meet the hotel's General Manager Clemens Hoerth in the Club on our first evening. We had no idea of his position, but needed someone to organise train tickets back to Hong Kong, a shuttle ride to the Canton Fair, and packed lunches. Clemens enthusiastically made all this happen right away, while we had a glass of wine. He returned to confirm it all to us, and handed us both his card. Now, I am sure there wouldn't be many 5-star hotel GM's that would have run around themselves, organising small details for their guests. There was no suggestion of delegation, and no hesitation. And he did it with great humour. He is a class act, and is a great example of wonderful, friendly service.

The impeccable Eva Zhang (Guest Relations Manager) looked after us in the lounge. She has a perfect blend of professionalism and warmth. She is a fantastic host, and took great care of us during our entire stay. She talked with us about restaurants, shopping, life in Guangzhou and we shared many laughs.

Have to mention Chef Sam - he does a great job turning out lovely dishes, and all done with smiles and laughter. He impressed me with his willingness to engage with guests, and he also anticipated what we were after each evening (Thanks for the hot chips, Sam!)

Melvis and Chris also engaged with us, and were a delight to talk to.

Hopefully the above conveys how impressed we were at a personal level with the MO Guangzhou. We've stayed in many 5stars that are sterile, with no personality. This sure isn't one of them. The beautiful environment is great, but it's the people at the MO that made it memorable. We are already looking forward to our next stay with our friends at our home in Guangzhou.

Paul & Brian

Room Tip: Oriental Club is brilliant.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Paul and Brian,

Thank you very much for your kind and positive feedback on TripAdvisor following your stay with us. We very much appreciate the time you took to express your feelings during your stay and we very much value your ongoing support of Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou. Please do let us know when you are planning to return back, to your “home in Guangzhou”!

Best personal regards,

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We were really wowed the moment we stepped into the hotel. Yes, the whole experience was almost perfect.
We wanted a little relaxation after meetings in Guangzhou. After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, we decided to book the room in Mandarin Oriental. After staying in different hotels in different cities, I have to say that we have become picky in reviewing the services of hotels. So, after we checked in the room, we were still so very amazed and really happy about the detailed services, the elegant decorations, and the level of comfort the hotel provided. You can see how truly wonderful this hotel is.
I really like the design and the decorations of the hotel and the rooms. There are no loud decorations but you can still see the decoration materials are really fine quality. The hotel is attentive in details -- bench in the elevator for accommodating some guests special physical needs, a little chair at the foyer area in the hotel, the separate shower, bathing, and basin areas, and the thoughtfulness of having a spacious dressing and luggage store room! I felt in love in this smart and elegant design.
We booked a room at the club level, so we could enjoy the happy hour at the club. Trust me -- you will be amazed! There were salad, snacks, hot foods, desserts, and drinks for us to enjoy and unwind. The staffs at the club also provided great and attentive services.
These were all what I needed after busy, exhausting, and intensive meetings in Guangzhou.
The location of the hotel is also superb. The driver who rode me to the hotel told me that the hotel is in the center of the city. The shopping mall, Taikoo Hui, is just next door. My husband and I were happy to get some supplies in the upscale supermarket in the mall.
The mattress is a bit firmer than I expected. But, it was not a problem. I slept very well that night.

What made the stay not to the perfection was the incident due to the poor coordination between the club staff and housekeeping. The housekeeping made a serious mistake that a 5 star hotel should not have done. It really upset me and I could not believe why the housekeeping staff could be this careless damaging the fabric of one of my favorite clothes. The club staff and the manager apologized and fixed the problem. I am satisfied with the quick and responsive action the manager and the club staff handled. However, I really hope such incident would not have happened.
I did not give full rating to the breakfast. It is because, after viewing the selections in both the club and the hotel restaurant, we decided to have breakfast at the hotel restaurant, Ebony. Perhaps it was the weekend when there were many hotel guests. The waiters were not very attentive. There were a few occasions when we wanted services but the waiters or waitresses just walked by without having the eye contacts. So, we had to wait a bit longer for some services. The coffee tasted a bit different, which I would not say I like it. I did checked with the waiter about the coffee as I was wondering whether the coffee was old. Though the waiter quickly gave me a pot of newly brewed coffee, it still tasted the same. So, I think it is probably from the kind of coffee not to my taste. Another problem I had at the breakfast was the smell from the egg station. It seems the exhaust fan at the cooking area is not strong enough. After the breakfast, my clothes got all the cooking smell from the egg station. I have to say that it made me very uncomfortable all day (unfortunately, I did not have other clothes to change).
Overall, I still think this is one of the best hotels we have stayed. We will want to return to the hotel and recommend it to everyone. We just hope the hotel will make sure all the services from different departments are careful in handling guests' requests.

Room Tip: Club level is a great choice.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank margarita_red2006
MO_GUANGZHOU, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear guest,

In addition, your comments regarding the laundry service and the ventilation system at Ebony are well taken indeed. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused and rest assured that your feedback is shared within the entire team, as we are always aiming to deliver the perfect hotel experience to our guest.

Once again thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel and your recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.