China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou
US$252
  • Pool
US$182
US$127
The Garden Hotel Guangzhou(Guangzhou)
US$221
US$171
US$169
US$118
US$166
US$158
  • Pool
1,851 results
All reviewsthe executive loungeyuexiu parkfood streetmetro stationcanton fairroom upgradeconvenient locationoutdoor poolbusiness centerrooms are nicebreakfast buffetfour seasonschinese restaurantbusiness tripbeijing roadstarbuckschina
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 April 2012

The hotel is good by global standards. The rooms are nice and well appointed. I particularly like the longer bathtubs that enable me to fit my whole body. The smell of cigarette smoke was not as prevalent as at other hotels in China in which I have stayed, but could be smelled as one walks down the hallways.

The Executive Lounge, which serves a free breakfast buffet was good. However, even though the posted hours are from 6am -12am, the buffet was not "ready" until closer to 7:30am. I think after 8am is more realistic. If you want cold food...that was ready by 7am, but nothing hot was even close to ready by 7:30. The potato cakes, though deep fried, were, at best, room temperature on the outide and cold on the inside. The cooked to order egg station was not ready to cook until 7:30, and the stove was not even wamed up yet. The omelet I ordered more resembled a scrambled egg in it's preparation. The bacon seemed as though it was cooked the night before, refrigerated, and then put out to warm up at room temperature since the heat lamps were not working properly. I'm not a fan of cold bacon. The fried noodles were also cold, not even warm. Maybe by 8 or 9am they are truly ready. So if you are looking for a good early breakfast before you head out for the day, this may well be a let down...unless you like your hot food served cold.

The exercise facilities were excellent. A pool in which you you could actually do laps, numerious cardio and weights options and a nice, albeit small, hot tub in the locker room.

If they get the Executive Lounge buffet thing straightened out, I'd rate it a 5.

Room Tip: Hallways are long, so best to get near an elevator
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Thom1962
Reviewed 27 March 2012

When I saw the building I was quite worried as it looked really old & boring. Until we stepped into the lobby, everything was perfect. Nice big room, newly renovated. We had breakfast at the food street & four season restaurant, quite expensive in China standard, but the dim sum are really good, especially in Four Season. It very convenient too as it just above the Metro station. And train station is also a few minutes by taxi away.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Miaw G
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Prostitution is active there, unfortunately, the hotel has no effective measure to stop it but repeatedly insulted the genuine guests!

I was staying there with my husband (a foreigner) last week and being suspected as a prostitute in 3 consecutive nights! No matter we came back early in the evening or at midnight, the security staff always stop me in a terrible manner! They asked my room number, but after I told, they still requested me to register at the front desk even when they saw me holding my room card.

Don't think that it is a good measure to block the prostitution! The prostitutes being stopped altogether with us went up with their customers right after they registered at the front desk. What does it mean? They just keep insulting the genuine female guests who dress and look decently!

We had made 3 complaints right after the 3 consecutive incidents. Except the first time that the Senior Guest Services Manager called and wrote us a card for apology, all other complaints were being ignored. He had promised that no similar case would happen again. He's right, it has happened AGAIN and AGAIN!

The repeated humiliation and insult accompanied with offensive manner and gestures from their staff had destroyed our Anniversary celebration, damaged our personal images and ruined my husband's reputition among his colleagues.

Obviously, their management is lack of experience in handling complaint and thus turn discontented guests into angrier ones!

We have traveled a lot in other cities in China and stayed at different 5-star hotels before. This is the first ever embarrassing case happened to us! Do think twice before booking a hotel unless you would like to put your beloved ones at such embarrassment with nobody to address your complaint/ rectify the problem.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
22  Thank Jacqueline A
Reviewed 13 March 2012

China Hotel made me a little surprise when I checked in. They told me that my room was still not available despite advanced reservation and late check in (4pm). Finally, they offer another room with a view of nothing.The room is not new but still in good condition. Bath tub and shower area are a bit dirty. The worst experience here is bad smell, partially from air duct.

This hotel doesn't look like other Marriott or 5-star hotels. With this condition, the tariff of RMB 1250 per night seems overpriced.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 March 2012

We have visited Guangzhou twice. This property is a winner. Very helpful staff, close to everything. Spend the extra few $ and upgrade to Executive level. Rooms are very spacious and modern, even by western standards. If in Guangzhou for an adoption this is the place to stay (vs. the more popular White Swan). Far larger rooms and more relaxing environment. There is a friendly 7-11 a very short walk away. Don't let the business traveler connotation of this hotel scare you... embrace it. btw... the Breakfast buffet is tremendous. FREE cocktails and beverages on the Exec floor are top shelf brands and served in a nice quiet lounge with finger foods. It's a great break from the stresses that instantly adding to your family and navigating the consulate process causes.

Room Tip: Trip to Shai'men Island costs about $3USD... bell staff will help you. Visit the park acrodd the street-nice walk and exposure to the Chinese culture.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family