“robbers!”

China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou
Ranked #23 of 3,522 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I am writing here with a complaint against the inaction of booking.com and China Hotel Marriott in Guangzhou, China.
The point is that I booked two rooms in this hotel on October 18, 2013. Those were bookings for my colleagues who went to China for a business trip. I reserved the rooms via booking.com using my credit card but I indicated in the comments box that the guests would pay for their stay on their arrival by the card of one of the guests (it was written that it is possible to give my credit card number just as a booking guarantee).
Nevertheless, when the guests checked-in, I got a message on my mobile phone that China Hotel Marriott charged 1380 RMB from my card. I know that the whole cost of their stay was charged from Mr.Lipner's credit card at check-out. I immediately contacted booking.com and they assured me that this sum of money was not charged but was only “frozen”. They assured me that the money would be returned to my card within 35 days.
35 days passed and nothing happened.
I would like to point out that I am not a sheik’s daughter and not an oil tycoon to forget about this money. This is a big sum of money for me.
I contacted booking.com again who promised to settle the problem as soon as possible. We have been corresponding for almost three weeks already, but this correspondence gave no results. I provided booking.com with my credit card bank account statement which they asked for. It is clearly stated there that the money was charged by the hotel but it was never returned to me.
They also asked me to send them a scanned copy of the invoice which the guests received when he checked out of the hotel. However, I do not have this document because it was sent to our auditing company two months ago and there is no possibility to get it back. Anyway, I am absolutely sure that China Hotel has all records of the guests’ payments and it is not such a tall order to get it from them. Besides, it is written on booking.com that they have an office in Guangzhou, but for some reason they cannot send anyone to China Hotel Marriott to get the invoice and settle the matter.
They refuse to give my money back without the invoice which I am not able to provide through no fault of mine!
Now 2,5 months passed of wasted nerves and time. I cannot remain patient because any patience has an end.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Yulia P
kyle l, Public Relations Officer at China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Ms. Yulia

Warm greeting from China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel. My name is Kyle Li, thank you for choosing our hotel as your colleagues’ business accommodation, your unpleasant experience has been passed to us, and we have already taken action to resolve your guarantee issue immediately.

Your guarantee money refund is being process, thank you for your patience. We can assure you that we have taken steps to avoid these kinds of situation cannot arise in the future.

Once again, thank you for choosing China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel; we are looking forward to see you soon. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Yours sincerely
Kyle Li

Write a ReviewReviews (1,812)

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Good location. Staff very friendly and helpful. I needed to exchange currency and there is a machine that will exchange your currency; you need your passport to do so. The rooms are nice. My bed did not have a sheet under the comforter. The bathroom has a shower, and a very nice, large tub. My breakfast was included, and the selection of foods was great. They serve western style food, or eastern style. There is a lot to do around the hotel that is walking distance. If you so desire you can get a cab, which are inexpensive. The hotel will give you a card with the address of the hotel to show your cab driver for the way back. Overall a very wonderful experience at this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The hotel has been around forever. Everyone pretty much knows the hotel so getting taxi to go there was no problem at all. Although it is a bit dated, everything else is very satisfactory. Front desk staffs have good command of english, breakfast is international but nothing to write home about. Subway is literally 20 feet away from the hotel's side entrance. Starbucks and 7 eleven is right on the building, mcdonalds is next door, and some other restaurants are around a block away.
We didn't have any problems getting a cab from the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank setyono
Reviewed 4 January 2014

we stayed 10 nights there ... very nice service & good location ... the breakfast was very nice Very nice rooms, good shower and good bed. Loved the terrace near the outdoor pool for a drink. Would go back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I booked a no-smoking king bed Executive Floor room directly on the hotel’s own web site for my wife and myself. On arrival (in the afternoon) I was surprised to be told that we could have a smoking room on the Executive Floor, or be downgraded to a no-smoking room on a lower floor (though still with access to the Executive Lounge). It was only after I indicated that this was not acceptable to the Front of House Manager, that a room as booked was given to us. This was despite the fact that I am a Marriott Rewards Elite member.

Despite this disappointing start, our stay at this hotel was satisfactory - though nothing to write home about. The hotel is in a very convenient position, next to a metro station. Our room was comfortable. The Executive Lounge was unexciting, and mainly self-service. The hot food choice in the evening was also nothing special. We do not eat meat and noted that the same fish choice was offered on two nights of our stay, and that there was no fish at all one night.

We tried the Executive Lounge breakfast on our first morning; subsequently, we always went for the breakfast in the restaurant (either is complimentary for Executive Floor guests). The restaurant breakfast offers a much wider selection. Also, although the Executive Lounge makes eggs to order, the range is limited. We wanted poached eggs; we could not get these in the lounge, but they were available in the restaurant.

It was very convenient to be able to catch a coach directly from the hotel forecourt to Hong Kong, but the hotel does not warn you that, at the border, passengers must move their luggage some distance through Chinese and Hong Kong customs/immigration and then board another coach on the Hong Kong side. Crossing the border took us about 45 minutes, even though it was not particularly busy. No trolleys were available. It is also worth noting that the arrival times in Hong Kong quoted on the timetable provided by the hotel understate the journey time. Our total journey took an hour longer than stated, even though there were no traffic problems.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MSDSK
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I stayed 2 nights there and was quite satisfied with a balance of price and quality. A shower booth is constructed with full marble and touch feeling with barefoot was super. Funny thing was a flame of window has still a plastic cover and unpeeled.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 December 2013

A nice hotel with ok service. Located very convenient to the metro. The rooms are nice, I lucked into staying in a 2 room suite which was very nice, lots of room to stretch out with friends and not feel like you are in a hotel room. The work out room is great, modern machines and free weights as well as a hot tub, sauna and steam room.
The bar on the 2nd floor is fair, service is a little slow and prices are a little high. There was a band in the evening that made the visit more enjoyable.
Lots of shoppes attached to the hotel, including message, Japanese restaurant and a very popular Starbucks.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business