“Tired & poorly maintained”

China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou
Ranked #21 of 3,394 Hotels in Guangzhou
New York City, New York
“Tired & poorly maintained”
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel did not measure up to the Marriott standards. Challenges: a) room temperature - i was unable to cool down the rooms, whether my bedroom or our meeting room where we hosted a meeting for prospective clients,they clearly have issues with their HVAC, b) the mold in the shower was excessive (nothing that a thorough cleaning can't fix). Otherwise the room was well appointed. I will look for alternate hotels for my next trip primarily because of the mold. A spotless bathroom is essential.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
kyle l, Public Relations Officer at China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Value Guest

Thank you for replying on our Guest Satisfaction Survey and please allow me to extend our sincerest appreciation for selecting China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel for your recent trip to Guangzhou.

your unpleasant experience has been passed to us, and we have already taken action to resolve your matters immediately.

I would like to thank you once again for your comments which makes us strive even more to provide a better “home away from home” experience. We will always be of any assistance that you may expect and we are looking forward to welcoming you to China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel again very soon.

Kyle Li

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tenby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Here does every thing it needs to , one less bar this year , but over all rooms OK , food OK , service OK and that's it OK .free shuttle bus to the Trade show , bit far out .Trade show closed 6pm , but last bus 5.30 pm , missed it then spent 11/2 hours trying to get a Taxi ! Go for a swim in the pool at 6am then sauna to find sauna not hot as only just turned on , not on a timer .And that's it with the China Hotel it could be a lot better but it just does not seem to get it correct .Have stayed here in the passed and was persuaded back .and there you have it OK , slightly dated Hotel .

Room Tip: Avoid any room ending with 18-20-22-24 avoid because of the lifts 1218 1220 1420 etc
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
kyle l, Public Relations Officer at China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou, responded to this review, 5 May 2014

Manila
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel 2 years ago. My experience then was so good that I decided to book it again to attend the Canton Fair. I even made sure my advance booking would be for an executive room since I liked that kind of room and the perks that came along with it. I made sure everything was already pre-arranged so that check-in would be convenient for me since I will be arriving in the evening. Unfortunately, the receptionist (very short hair, name started with "M"), whose name tag was partially hidden, offered us an "upgrade" from our current room which would cost us an additional RMB400 a night. The offer was for a "bigger" room and breakfast for my son. Take note that our original booking is already for an executive room with breakfast for all 3 of us, fully paid even before we took our trip. I tried to explain it to her but she kept on offering us the upgrade that we don't even need. She went on to explain to me that our booking only indicates breakfast for two NOT three which meant our son was not included and he will also not be allowed lounge access unless we pay for it. We asked her to check because we had a voucher stating all the inclusions of our booking which she purposely ignored or didn't bother to understand. When it was obvious to her that we won't be taking her "offer" she finally started processing our check-in. I thought that was the end of the bad service but I was wrong. She even had the audacity to ask if it would be okay for us to stay in a room on a lower floor (not on the executive floor). Of course I didn't agree. So from the 6th floor she gave me a "special" room on the 8th floor (still not on the 17th floor). By this time I was too tired to argue (late night flight) so I agreed to the room. To cut the long story short, our travel agent had to get in touch with the hotel to reiterate the inclusions of our booking (executive room, breakfast for 3 plus lounge access for all of us) which is exactly what I told the receptionist. No apologies for the mistake = bad service. Our room was not even changed.
We were given a room on the 8th floor which had 2 beds. This room was a far cry from the executive room we stayed in 2 years ago. I don't think there was anything "executive" about this room. Since we were there to attend the Canton Fair, I no longer wasted my energy in arguing about this with the reception since the language barrier seemed more apparent with the people there this time around. The room was not well-cleaned. The toilet had hairs on the floor which was a sure sign that there was no attention to detail when cleaning was done.
Aside from the slow internet, the tv in our room room broke down. It was replaced by the people from housekeeping after trying their best to revive it. Their efforts to remedy the situation was very much appreciated.
Breakfast and the lounge selection were pretty much the same. It can get quite crowded because of the fair season.
The people at the Concierge were very helpful but their English needs to be improved since they have a lot of foreign guests. Another thing I noticed is that the same question asked from 2 different people at the Concierge would yield different answers. This is not so good especially when the guest is asking for directions to go to a particular place.
Next time I go back to Guangzhou, I will definitely look for another hotel. Booking this hotel the second time around proved to be a big mistake.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
kyle l, Public Relations Officer at China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou, responded to this review, 3 May 2014

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I had stayed at this hotel some years ago and tried it again while in town for the Canton Fair. It is getting a bit older but i found the staff to be quite helpful and felt the hotel is well run. I was given free wi-fi maybe because i had an executive room. It was slow but adequate. Upon check-in, I upgraded to a suite for a very small amount of money and it was well worth it. The room and the bathroom was clean , spacious and comfortable.
The gym is very good and i used the jacuzzi and steam room as well. Breakfast buffet is expansive and good (quality of food not up to standards of other 5-Star hotels in Guangzhou). Check-in and check-out, bell service, etc were good. Food Street restaurant is convenient for Chinese cuisine. The executive floor was nice but VERY crowded at night. It's hard to find much fault with this hotel during the Fair period when everything is very crowded. Convenient to have a Starbucks in the adjoining mall along with a dry cleaner and a reflexology center.
I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Polokwane, South Africa
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The only thing that really got to me about this hotel being 5 star and all is the fact that there is no free wifi in room. Wifi for 100 yuan a day is close to R160. It's a rip off, I will not stay here again. Wifi is my way of keeping in touch with family while traveling.

Wifi in public areas not good enough.

• Stayed April 2014
kyle l, Public Relations Officer at China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Dineo

Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

One of the best features about this hotel is that it is well staffed. The check in desk had multiple people working day and night so there was not a long line. The concierge was also helpful. Most of the staff speaks English, which is very convenient.

The hotel is very grand and beautiful. Our room was small but nicely decorated and clean.

The breakfast buffet was quite amazing. They had everything from noodles and congee to waffles, omelettes, smoothies, fresh fruit and donuts.

My only complaint is that there was loud construction going on outside the hotel in the middle of the night. The loud noises would often begin at 11 or 12 and continue for hours. It appeared that this will be going on for a long time as the project is just beginning.

• Stayed March 2014
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We are staying at the China Hotel Marriott in Guangzhou, China for two days. The hotel is centrally located in the city. It is an older hotel but has been managed very well and updated to excellent quality. We got a free upgrade to a suite. The suite is spacious and all the furnishings are of upscale quality. We have access to the Executive Lounge which on the 17th Floor overlooking the city. The lounge is well stocked with complimentary drinks, wine, and beer. It also serves. a complimentary breakfast, afternoon tea and snacked provides free use of internet and computer. Overall, this is an excellent hotel to stay with reasonable prices.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple