“Good Value”

China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou
Ranked #24 of 3,522 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The China hotel is perfectly located in Guangzou. Good value outside of the Canton Fair Time.
Service is always good. Food street restaurant is excellent, especially the Hot Sour Soup with congealed pigs blood....Sounds awful but damn tasty

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank 268SimonB
Write a ReviewReviews (1,811)

Reviewed 24 June 2014

This is a very good hotel with excellent services priced right. The staff is friendly and the food is very good, especially the local dishes. It is worth staying there. The rooms are spacious and very clean, the beds are very good and the in- room service is fast.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I am writing this review based on expectation of Marriott Hotel, and the expectation is high. China Hotel is a category 3 hotel within the ranking of the Marriott system. The highest category is 6 where most he JW Marriott or Ritz Carlton hotels belong. China Hotel has been around for ages, the interior of the hotel has been renovation recently. So its fairly modern and comfortable. The room I stated in on the small size, but still comfortable. The exterior of the hotel looks quited aged. There is a canopy covering most of the outside walkway, during heavy rain, its leaking everywhere and you will still need an umbrella to walk through the walkway.
I selected the China Hotel because of its location and transportation option. If you are coming from Hong Kong, there are a number of cross border buses that stops right at the door of the China Hotel. In addition, the exit/entrance to the subway line #2 is right outside the hotel as well. You can easily reach different parts of Guangzhou by their well developed subway system.
My state with the hotel is tarnished by the lack of attention to details. I booked the stay for 3 adults. When I checked in, I have reminded the front desk clerk that we will need 3 sets of toiletries, towel etc., and the clerk said it will be taken care of. We went out for sightseeing in the city and return in the evening to find an additional set of tooth bush, bottle water placed on desk. That's all good, until we went to take shower and discovered there was still only two sets of towels. Only 2 cups for brushing teeth. Furthermore, we also discovered that the bathroom door could not be closed properly. Its the sliding type door. The entrance foyer (inside the room) light bulb was missing. It is the little things that distinguish a great hotel from a good hotel. I expect a Marriott to be great hotel, right now it has earned its marks as a good hotel only.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Matthew C
kyle l, Public Relations Officer at China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Mr. Matthew,

Thank you for providing your most valuable feedback and please allow me to extend our sincerest appreciation for selecting China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel for your recent trip to Guangzhou.
We have acknowledged that there is room for further improvement; your concerns regarding our services have been addressed to relevant departments in where we would like to ensure you an exceptional experience and excellency upon your next visit and onwards.
Mr. Matthew, I would like to thank you once again for your comments which make us strive even more to provide a better “home away from home” experience.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

First off, you must recognise that this hotel charges extremely competitive rates in this so-called first-tier Chinese city. Usually, in a hotel managed by Marriott in Guangzhou, you'd expect to pay almost double for such a room, such as those located at Tianhe and the Pazhou districts. So let's take things in perspective; the China Hotel is not a bad choice at all for the price it is charging.

Now, into the details. I agree totally that the age of this hotel is showing very clearly. Even from the moment you enter the hotel lobby, there is a certain stale smell which is fortunately not too strong so you do not notice it after about 5-10 minutes. The decor is clearly from the bygone era. The size of the escalator is for a small crowd and when the Chinese population are still dainty and there aren't too many fat people around. The toilets in the common areas are ageing from overuse, even as renovations and updates have been carried out obviously. And along the corridors, the carpeting smells of age which borders on staleness or some spilt milk from the last Christmas party.

But once you enter the renovated room, which I was assigned to, you know that Marriott is trying hard to keep up to its high standards found elsewhere in other parts of the world. The only problem I had was a malfunctioning door knob which does not open to allow me out, but that is fixed almost immediately after informing them. The room is freshly renovated and updated, and the look is modern chinoiserie, with the carpet clean and almost new. The bed with all the comforter and pillows is very comfortable, as expected of a Marriott. The huge flat-screen LCD TV set shows all the necessary international channels you'd expect of an American chain, and the furnishings is not tired like what is seen in the common areas of this hotel.

So, you can imagine how relieved, and pleased I was when I entered my room. Though not huge in today's standard, it's still of good size. The air conditioning was a powerful cool, sometimes I'd need to switch it off because it's too cold! This is highly welcome with the sweltering heat of about 33-34 degrees Celsius outside; the Guangzhou summer is not a joke.

The separate shower just next to the huge bath tub makes cleaning oneself an enjoyable experience. The clever design of tiled flooring to prevent slipping at the shower area, the very powerful rainfall shower and the use of highly fragrant toiletries (not the cheap hotel types which I often come across in China) makes the experience doubly pleasurable and relaxing. This is a very good way to wash your stress (and grime) away after a day of meetings in one of the busiest and largest cities in China. What's more my meetings are in bordering cities and visits to (dusty and usually untidy) factories.

The breakfast I had on my last day of stay (my package did not include breakfast) was very good, on par with what I get from any Marriott outfit I'd stayed in. The spread was adequate and food, in fact in general is good in Guangzhou. I'd recommend eating at the Food Street outlet at the lobby level of the hotel for authentic Cantonese fare, which will not burn a huge hole in your pocket. The Starbucks at the adjoining building of the hotel also allows for a quick and convenient caffeine fix, while a post office gives the convenience to send stuff back or simply buy a box (at very low price) for your extra luggage. There are HSBC and CITIC banking branches within the building (on the office block) and they provide currency exchange services. In fact, the ATM machines at the lobby of the hotel also perform the same services, making life much easier if you run out of renminbi cash.

The location just above a metro station has been mentioned ad nausem, so I shan't add to that. To me, this is yet another factor why anybody who's game to try the very efficient metro system of Guangzhou should stay here. Especially if you hate the traffic jams in this huge city, and oftentimes you simply cannot get a taxi to get to your destination. Nearby is an ancient Muslim mosque, which is why so many international clients stay at this hotel. The Friday prayers mean many food stalls are also set up at the vicinity, making the area a lively area. This is one facet of China I seldom see, and I truly enjoyed it.

The hotel is however not located anywhere near a major mall, unlike those I had stayed at Tianhe in earlier trips. So if you want to browse and do some window shopping nearby, you will need to take the metro to a shopping mall about 3 stations away, at least. To me that is no big issue, but I did see and hear some Chinese (or Taiwanese or Hongkongers?) mentioning this, saying they cannot buy some of the stuff they want nearby.

This stay in a way is a recce for a November trip, which my senior, US colleague is coming with me. He seldom travels to China, and I want to ensure that at least in terms of hotel accommodation, it'd work for him. I am glad to say the China Hotel fits what I am looking for. As long as the hotel keeps to such service standards and such competitive rates, I'd bring this US colleague of mine back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sal the Fat Fish
Reviewed 18 June 2014

never change a winning team they once told me, did message did not arrive at the guangzhou marriott, although one of my favorits over the years, they suddenly in May changed to go economic. which means a lot less service, repair only when reported broken, skim the mil and the breakfast. funny thing at the breafast in the mian coffeeshop restaurant is that your cup for a second filling is taken to one central plase where one machine does the trick, only while waiting the waiter goes to the kitchen or does something else, so how does he know the green cup of mine is different of the green cup of my meighbour that is being refilled, so only use new cups than. toilet broken, can happen, than other part of the bath room, which was less important so we did no more raport this. the service at the club floor was amazing down. imagine a group is lookiing at the footbaal match and open until 12, the servant cleaning at 11, switches of the televisions, because apparently it was in het schedule. the smae thing happened before when i was looking at a known movie to me, switched off in the last 10 minutes of the movie at 11 or better said 2300 hours. more people during exhibitions, NO glasses, No Plates ?? for a Marriott 5 star hotel at these prices. milk constantly finished, while there is a big container, one puts small packs of milk in it, saving money, as when there are less peolle they throw less, is the explanation, empty bottles, no glass to drink, so that fits, hahaha. one servant was cautioned for being too nice to the customers, like serving one more glass or attenting for a newspaper, that also disappeared from the corridors. marriott down the slide here. the homey athmosphere spoiled by the book keepers economics

Room Tip: go to another hotel for the time being until they get back to their senzes, we stayed for 8 days in...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank bob s
kyle l, Public Relations Officer at China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Value Guest

Thank you for replying on our Guest Satisfaction Survey and please allow me to extend our sincerest appreciation for selecting China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel for your recent trip to Guangzhou.

Additionally, I would like to share our gratitude for your positive ratings on the survey regarding your recent stay in our property. Where above all, we take into account all our valued guests feedbacks, like yourself, though demonstrating that we are providing the services that you have come to expect.

Nevertheless, we have acknowledged that there is still space for further improvement; Please rest assured that we would like to offer you an exceptional experience upon your next visit and onwards.

I would like to thank you once again for your recognition which makes us strive even more to provide a better “home away from home” experience. We will always be of any assistance that you may expect and we are looking forward to welcoming you to China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel again very soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel more than a month with my three kids. Very comfortable and spacious, my husband even had a desk to work. People would bring water in big container so we would not have to carry bottles. You could buy more on request. People were nice and friendly. Your resident card gives you discount to food and shops. Eating breakfast was great. Just great stay.

Room Tip: For long stay, this 2 bedrooms apartment with kitchen and living room was much better for my family...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Crosseries
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel for a business trip. The first time I saw the room it was so great. They have super comfy bed with comfy pillows. And the shower room was also marvelous! The only minor about this hotel is the old equipment. I got minor problem on the shower drain, but other than that its charming! perfect choice for business trip and luxury trips too!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
kyle l, Public Relations Officer at China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Yogyakarta