“Very Central - rooms small. Restaurants very expensive.”

China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou
Ranked #22 of 3,408 Hotels in Guangzhou
Melbourne, Australia
“Very Central - rooms small. Restaurants very expensive.”
Reviewed 26 February 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights, with our 2 children - had the Nickelodian package which the kids enjoyed. Hotel very busy. Caters more to businessmen. Staff helpful and spoke english. Very central for sightseeing. Rooms very small. Lifts could be very annoying having to insert cards all the time - couldn't get up to see relatives on higher floors - so had to keep going down to concierge. We went to one restaurant - Prime - which was extremely expensive. We waited for absolutely ages for the food which came out in dribs and drabs. My lamb was raw! Don't recommend if you're in a hurry! Overall if you want to stay in the city then this place is fine. Otherwise I would stay at Chimelong Hotel - especially if you have kids! (we stayed there for 4 nights and loved it!)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 February 2011

We stayed in winter and got free upgrade to an executive suite which was quite large and comfortable with 2 toilets and an huge bathroom. Generally, we could not fault this hotel apart from the fiddly card insert at the elevators. Many a time we got sucked up by some one before we had a chance to insert and remove card and press the floor button. I think we did that to more than a couple of people as well on our way down. That aside, the Four Seasons Restaurant was quite pricey and the dishes were small. The executive happy hour snacks was better value.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank FossFoss
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 14 February 2011

I was given a free room upgrade which was large and comfortable. The food at the four season was great but expensive .The hotel was plush except the reception that looks old with broken furniture.I had a great stay and will go back next trip.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 January 2011

I spent one night here at the end of my three week China trip. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place as my flights had been booked and itinerary set well in advance, and with no idea that there was a huge trade fair in Gaungzhou during my stay. Consequently this was the cheapest priced available hotel... at £350 per night eeek!

I checked in late (gone 11pm) and ordered room service, which was prompt and very easy to communicate (in my experience, some Tier Two cities in China have language barrier that are higher than others) what I wanted with staff.

The bathroom was spacious with a great shower. My room was an unusual shape for a hotel room, making it quite a change, and had a nice view. The bed was comfortable and I found this place exceeding a Renaissance in quality.

Breakfast was in a huge C shaped room on the first floor, and it was easy to lose oneself. One corner was the smokers area, so try to avoid walking through if you are a non-smoker as it is thick with it.

There is a vast lobby downstairs with several ATM machines. These are replenished at the busiest time of the morning, which was irritating as it meant having to wait for half an hour. Also checking out took forever - it was a weekday with a large number of conference/trade show exhibitors checking out. This was my sole bug bear of my stay in Guangzhou.

The location was excellent: forty minutes from the airport (allow 100RMB), and easy to get to my appointments and to the Guangzhou > HK station.

Literally spending twelve hours in a hotel, using few of the facilities does not really qualify me to comment on anything other than what I experienced, but I would return here, providing I got a good price. Although comfortable and functional, I wouldn't have said the service, facilities and decor or my room were worth £350

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
shanghai
Reviewed 15 January 2011

I have stayed in guangzhou a few times and I'm still waiting to find a great hotel at a reasonable price. This one falls into the so so category. The rate wasn't bad, the room wasn't bad, the elevators are out of the way and can be frustrating to operate. There is a bar downstairs in the lobby and the band members are very friendly and provide some great entertainment if you don't feel like venturing out. Drink prices are ok for a hotel. Taxis are hit and miss and one cold night I had to wait 45 minutes. There is not much around the hotel in terms of restaurants and bars and inside the hotel complex is a starbucks which must be one of the coldest starbucks I have ever been to. Granted, this is the middle of winter but I wish they would close the outside doors. All in all, you won't be disappointed but you probably won't rave about it either. If you can get a good rate at the garden hotel you will probably prefer the location but I always feel a bit ripped off when I stay at that hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2010

My first business trip to China (attending Canton Fair) in ten years, how things have changed. We used to stay in budget hotels, so when the boss told me too book this one and enjoy I was chuffed to bits.

Arrived late in the evening, and in view of their being a major exhibition on it was very very busy. Joined queue to check in, only to be told there had no rooms in the class I had booked and the rate was higher than that given to me on the booking website. What do you do - you can hardly turn around and walk out and I guess with so many business travellors in town it would have been difficult to find anywhere else. I told the girl that as the rate went up then I should have better room, with no objection I was given a suite on the 15th floor which was huge, stylish and well kept.

There are alot of staff around the hotel who do not seem to do alot just stand there as if on parade. It seemed more like an office block than a hotel. The restaurents were average, the steak one "Prime" was ok, but I have been brought up on the "aged" and "matured" beef, where as the chefs were clearly sawing up fresh pink meat so the taste just was not there. The buffet restaurent "Cafe Veranda" was shocking value in the evening for someone who doesn't really eat a lot and for breakfast a downright rip off.

We stopped having breakfast here on day 2 and used Starbucks in the mall attached to the hotel. There is also a middle eastern buffet restaurent just up the road from the hotel with live music which is a better option.

Only used the Saphire Bar (next to the steak restaruent) as my colleage was not keen on the attention he received from the local ladies in the bar on the ground floor. Still we got a bit of attention in the Saphire Bar once or twice but the girls were courteous and not persistant so not a problem at all.

In terms of the Canton Fair, you could register at the hotel which was a bonus, albeit a bit disorganized as you joined a queue for around 10 minutes and when you got to the front the girl asked you if you had had your passport checked by the a sole police officer sat across the room. Not really th hotels fault but as it was on their premisis it should be mentioned. Top marks to the hotel for the organization of the courtesy coaches. We were told we had to book, but in the end just started turning up and no problems.

Taxi Drivers are a bit odd. We queued on the hotel rank for a cab and when we got in the driver drove ten yards and stopped. The concierge came over and asked what the problem was and told us the driver had decided he did not want the pick up and was going to take a break, so we had to join the back of the queue.

I think the hotel serves its purpose, but I could not imagine anything other than a business trip here.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Nairobi
Reviewed 7 December 2010

Fantastic hotel. Geared more towards the businessman than families with children however the service and rooms are the epitome of comfort... The chinese restaurant is fantastic and the hair salon great! For businessmen, the executive lounge is great where you can have your meetings in peace and yet be in the hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business