“A decent stay...........”

Guangzhou Baiyun Hotel
Ranked #40 of 3,562 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Some friends were in GZ on business and so they booked their rooms and mine here. Rate was 410Y which was reasonable. The hotel is conveniently located across the street from the Garden Hotel, one of the airport bus stops.

I was only here for two nights so I didn't use any of the hotel's facilities. I took a walk around and they have a business center, barber shop, massage spa/suana, several restaurants, and high-end luxury brand clothing stores. I found the rooms in good condition and wi-fi was included with my room, although a hotel employee had to come to my room and install a wi-fi router on the desk.

Although I didn't eat at any of the hotel restaurants, my friends' clients took us all to dinner at a Chinese place next to the hotel (note: as you exit the hotel and onto the sidewalk, turn right and walk about 100 meters). It is not a fancy place, more like a hole-in-the-wall type joint, but the Chinese food was really good here and likely not expensive. There was no signs in English, so I took a photo of the only sign in front (Xi Fang Cai). See attached photo.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor for better views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Generally it is passable for a hotel stay with most service as what you would expect from any hotel. They check room cards after midnight so that is a plus. The bad thing is the bed, which is rock hard and unlike most 5 star hotels, it is more like 3 star quality. Will not recommend for anything other than business travellers. Lastly, one rude staff at the hotel lobby spoilt my entire impression of this hotel. I had to meet a business associate in the lobby and had forgotten to bring my phone from my room, therefore I asked a service staff standing at the lobby if there is somewhere I can make a quick call to my associate's cellphone. To my disbelief, he replied "find a phone yourself" in mandarin in a very disrespecting tone and even starred at me like I was the one being ridiculous. Very disappointed in how this staff treats his hotel guests. Would have made a complain but my associate arrived and I had to leave. Not the treatment one would expect from a self claim 5/4 star hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tatsu_Chijmes
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I have been staying at this hotel since 2002 (back then it was a Best Western). In 2006, the hotel was sold and completely remodeled. This property is in my favorite section of Guangzhou (very upscale and international). The cost is 3/4 of the price of other near-by hotels (the best pricing is through Expedia or Ctrip). Location is great, walk to subway (around the corner) and shopping surrounds the property. I'll be back next summer.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank china4me
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

I was 3 nights in there mini bar was too bad and hotel charge us for bottle of water but most of hotels is free for 2 small bottle in each day but unfortunately hotel charge us 60 rmb for each small bottle and unfortunately no print the price on menu of mini bar

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Good location. Free and good in room Wifi. Everything ( bed, pillow, room size and cleaniness) up to its should be standard. Good location.

Standard Cantonese dimsum, at similar prices, should cross the bridge to Garden hotel for better quality.

But at its rate (~RMB530), very good value. Recommend.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank qYu
Reviewed 20 May 2013

If you're used to real 5 star, this is definitely not even remotely close to 5 star. They don't show you to a table at the breakfast buffet, they can't really speak english in the front very well, and the rooms suck. This isn't even as good as a 4 star! Also, TV was mediocre, and the location isn't too great. Its 8 stations from the railway station, and its not in Tianhe. Tianhe is the best area to be in because of the malls there, this has a mall, but there is no food at the mall. Only plus is there is a Starbucks around the corner.

Room is also totally outdated, and their credit card processing won't accept discover card unlike every single other hotel in China I have been to. I was disappointed. If they said 3 or MAYBE 4 star, fine, but they have plaques and awards all over saying "5 star" and "China 5 star." Who did they bribe to get those ratings? Its definitely not any reputable company that gave them 5 star, its a Chinese 5 star rating for people who don't know what 5 star is.

Also, this is one of those hotels where 90% of the customers here smell like they shower in cheap cologne. I hope that says enough. Its OK but not 5 star, and that's why I was so disappointed.

Room Tip: Breakfast buffet isn't great. If you have a discover card, you can't use it for your deposit...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank S D
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Location is the best for this hotel. Stayed 6nights because of the better price during Trade Fair.
Room we had was small. We asked for a non-smoking room but we got smoking one. Food was very expensive and not good. once we went for dinner buffet because it was raining outside and Sultan Resto nearby was full and had long queue, so we had no choice but to stay in the hotel. Dinner Buffet was dissapointing, not so much choice, doesn't taste any good, we paid almost 600rmb for 2person. OMG! breakfast buffet was just fine, not much we can eat, nothing special.

I suggest if u can go out, better eat outside.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business