“They would not know if you stayed or not..!!!!”

Guangzhou Baiyun Hotel
Ranked #35 of 3,408 Hotels in Guangzhou
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“They would not know if you stayed or not..!!!!”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Super location... Good hotel though not 5 Star as shown on a government certificate.
Staff in general are above average for any hotel in China, typically not very interested in talking to guests. One change- I left the safe locker open n morning and when came back in evening money was intact!!. Informed the Guest Relations. Also Concierge and Front Desk better than average for China. However the Guest Relations in Lobby behave more like security.
Stayed for 5 nights and does not make a difference to management at all. First day there were 5 pieces of fruit and never replenished. Same for bath shampoo etc, have to request.
Worst is when the Security took over the hotel for their VIP function. Guests were frisked every time they enter despite protest. Management simply said can't do anything.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We organized our plans and paid for accommodation via Agoda in August 2013. On arrival for our stay in Sept, the hotel lost our accommodation booking and initially was very unhelpful in resolving the issue. Some of the staff were rude and refused to extend themselves to review their systems, even though we showed them the confirmation and payment made. After 45 mins of waiting in their lobby, they finally found our booking and didn't even offer any apologies. Apart from the initial disappointed, we made a request to have our hotel room safe checked and for the safe battery to be replaced. It never happened despite repeated request. We used the hotel as a base hotel before travelling to other parts of China and Hong Kong. On our return from our travels, we had an unexpected knock on the door after midnight from someone claiming that we called for a masseuse. We voiced our complaint to the hotel front desk, and were concerned on the lack of security in the hotel to monitor unwanted or unwelcomed guests. Hotel could have activated the lift security function after hours to ensure that strangers do not wander into floors soliciting for business. Overall impression of the hotel, some staff were excellent, friendly and helpful while others could improve on their customer relations and service. Breakfast service was excellent with good standard of care and hygiene. Executive lounge was excellent. Free wifi services available, but connections can be intermittent. Location ideal as its close to Tao Jin metro line.

Room Tip: Executive rooms on higher floors.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Some friends were in GZ on business and so they booked their rooms and mine here. Rate was 410Y which was reasonable. The hotel is conveniently located across the street from the Garden Hotel, one of the airport bus stops.

I was only here for two nights so I didn't use any of the hotel's facilities. I took a walk around and they have a business center, barber shop, massage spa/suana, several restaurants, and high-end luxury brand clothing stores. I found the rooms in good condition and wi-fi was included with my room, although a hotel employee had to come to my room and install a wi-fi router on the desk.

Although I didn't eat at any of the hotel restaurants, my friends' clients took us all to dinner at a Chinese place next to the hotel (note: as you exit the hotel and onto the sidewalk, turn right and walk about 100 meters). It is not a fancy place, more like a hole-in-the-wall type joint, but the Chinese food was really good here and likely not expensive. There was no signs in English, so I took a photo of the only sign in front (Xi Fang Cai). See attached photo.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor for better views.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Generally it is passable for a hotel stay with most service as what you would expect from any hotel. They check room cards after midnight so that is a plus. The bad thing is the bed, which is rock hard and unlike most 5 star hotels, it is more like 3 star quality. Will not recommend for anything other than business travellers. Lastly, one rude staff at the hotel lobby spoilt my entire impression of this hotel. I had to meet a business associate in the lobby and had forgotten to bring my phone from my room, therefore I asked a service staff standing at the lobby if there is somewhere I can make a quick call to my associate's cellphone. To my disbelief, he replied "find a phone yourself" in mandarin in a very disrespecting tone and even starred at me like I was the one being ridiculous. Very disappointed in how this staff treats his hotel guests. Would have made a complain but my associate arrived and I had to leave. Not the treatment one would expect from a self claim 5/4 star hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tatsu_Chijmes
usa
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I have been staying at this hotel since 2002 (back then it was a Best Western). In 2006, the hotel was sold and completely remodeled. This property is in my favorite section of Guangzhou (very upscale and international). The cost is 3/4 of the price of other near-by hotels (the best pricing is through Expedia or Ctrip). Location is great, walk to subway (around the corner) and shopping surrounds the property. I'll be back next summer.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank china4me
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

I was 3 nights in there mini bar was too bad and hotel charge us for bottle of water but most of hotels is free for 2 small bottle in each day but unfortunately hotel charge us 60 rmb for each small bottle and unfortunately no print the price on menu of mini bar

• Stayed August 2013
HK
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Good location. Free and good in room Wifi. Everything ( bed, pillow, room size and cleaniness) up to its should be standard. Good location.

Standard Cantonese dimsum, at similar prices, should cross the bridge to Garden hotel for better quality.

But at its rate (~RMB530), very good value. Recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business