“A bad experience!”

Guangzhou Baiyun Hotel
Ranked #37 of 3,435 Hotels in Guangzhou
“A bad experience!”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

The hotel is good but the staff is very bad. I stayed for 8 nights. Booking first 4 nights with Agoda under the advertised Super Business Sale. Then I had to go out of town for one day and thought I would stay overnight but came back the same night without an Agoda booking. The reception staff charged me three times the Agoda price for the same room! I stayed three following nights, booking with Agoda at the sale price. The staff at this hotel does not care about the interest of the customer but tries to gouge as much money as possible out of him. Another exmaple is when the duty manager directed me to buy a SIM card for my phone at their business center although shops across the road had better packages at half the price. There are better 5 stars hotels in the same area. If you must stay there, avoid any transaction with the staff and stick with Agoda.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Philibert3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Jammu City, India
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

A centrally located good business hotel, we stayed here for 4 nights and found the hotel well situated for work travel and meetings.
The rooms are clean, the ac effective and the housekeeping efficient and prompt. The newly renovated rooms are good and glitzy.
Breakfast is elaborate, though the replenishments are stopped at 10
The hotel is busy 24 hours and the security staff typically check everyone for room keys at night, which keeps this property clean.
The are a number of restaurants and eateries within walking distance for varied tastes.
The only drawback : renovations are ongoing so there is some amount of disturbance in between 10am and 6pm. The hotel should give rooms at reduced rates on such floors, which they don't, and we happened to be staying on one such floor.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Vikuji
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Hotel is clean, was busy with lots of people, good western breakfast with eggs and bacon and fruit and pastries but hard beds. Good location and good rates on room. Entertainment and restaurants close by. Sushi for breakfast - what's not to love !

• Stayed November 2013
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Super location... Good hotel though not 5 Star as shown on a government certificate.
Staff in general are above average for any hotel in China, typically not very interested in talking to guests. One change- I left the safe locker open n morning and when came back in evening money was intact!!. Informed the Guest Relations. Also Concierge and Front Desk better than average for China. However the Guest Relations in Lobby behave more like security.
Stayed for 5 nights and does not make a difference to management at all. First day there were 5 pieces of fruit and never replenished. Same for bath shampoo etc, have to request.
Worst is when the Security took over the hotel for their VIP function. Guests were frisked every time they enter despite protest. Management simply said can't do anything.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We organized our plans and paid for accommodation via Agoda in August 2013. On arrival for our stay in Sept, the hotel lost our accommodation booking and initially was very unhelpful in resolving the issue. Some of the staff were rude and refused to extend themselves to review their systems, even though we showed them the confirmation and payment made. After 45 mins of waiting in their lobby, they finally found our booking and didn't even offer any apologies. Apart from the initial disappointed, we made a request to have our hotel room safe checked and for the safe battery to be replaced. It never happened despite repeated request. We used the hotel as a base hotel before travelling to other parts of China and Hong Kong. On our return from our travels, we had an unexpected knock on the door after midnight from someone claiming that we called for a masseuse. We voiced our complaint to the hotel front desk, and were concerned on the lack of security in the hotel to monitor unwanted or unwelcomed guests. Hotel could have activated the lift security function after hours to ensure that strangers do not wander into floors soliciting for business. Overall impression of the hotel, some staff were excellent, friendly and helpful while others could improve on their customer relations and service. Breakfast service was excellent with good standard of care and hygiene. Executive lounge was excellent. Free wifi services available, but connections can be intermittent. Location ideal as its close to Tao Jin metro line.

Room Tip: Executive rooms on higher floors.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Some friends were in GZ on business and so they booked their rooms and mine here. Rate was 410Y which was reasonable. The hotel is conveniently located across the street from the Garden Hotel, one of the airport bus stops.

I was only here for two nights so I didn't use any of the hotel's facilities. I took a walk around and they have a business center, barber shop, massage spa/suana, several restaurants, and high-end luxury brand clothing stores. I found the rooms in good condition and wi-fi was included with my room, although a hotel employee had to come to my room and install a wi-fi router on the desk.

Although I didn't eat at any of the hotel restaurants, my friends' clients took us all to dinner at a Chinese place next to the hotel (note: as you exit the hotel and onto the sidewalk, turn right and walk about 100 meters). It is not a fancy place, more like a hole-in-the-wall type joint, but the Chinese food was really good here and likely not expensive. There was no signs in English, so I took a photo of the only sign in front (Xi Fang Cai). See attached photo.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor for better views.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Generally it is passable for a hotel stay with most service as what you would expect from any hotel. They check room cards after midnight so that is a plus. The bad thing is the bed, which is rock hard and unlike most 5 star hotels, it is more like 3 star quality. Will not recommend for anything other than business travellers. Lastly, one rude staff at the hotel lobby spoilt my entire impression of this hotel. I had to meet a business associate in the lobby and had forgotten to bring my phone from my room, therefore I asked a service staff standing at the lobby if there is somewhere I can make a quick call to my associate's cellphone. To my disbelief, he replied "find a phone yourself" in mandarin in a very disrespecting tone and even starred at me like I was the one being ridiculous. Very disappointed in how this staff treats his hotel guests. Would have made a complain but my associate arrived and I had to leave. Not the treatment one would expect from a self claim 5/4 star hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business