“Comfortable & Accomodating”

Guangzhou Baiyun Hotel
Ranked #38 of 3,517 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 2 August 2009

I arrived yesterday and found the Hotel to be in a very trendy area of town, with the big brand shops right under the hotel such as LV and Emporio Armani. So my first reaction would be that the staff and people would be incredibly pretentious and unwelcoming. Fortunately I was wrong and the staff here are wonderful and I'm so far very much enjoying my stay.

Upon arrival we were upgraded for free and was given free breakfast vouchers even though our booking did not include breakfast. The hotel entrance was well decorated and very elegant, however the size isn't the largest I've seen. We were on level 22 and I was very happy with the view out of our window.

The room facilities were excellent, little details like toothbrushes coming in 2 colours for the twin stay rooms, slippers, and even an umbrella. All signs that a hotel has taken into consideration of the comforts of home. Although it's not quite home for me, as the bathroom shower could have improvements but I can't complain too much, it was already as homey as any hotel I've ever stayed. The beds weren't rock hard, although it wasn't soft either. However being Asian myself, I had no trouble sleeping on it as I personally don't like super soft beds. There is also free broadband in the rooms, not wireless, but they provide you with the wire so you can easily plug into your laptop and start tapping away. Sites such as youtube are blocked assuming because of high bandwidth usage, but I don't think I can complain much as the speed itself was fairly good and is what I'm using to write this review!

Breakfast was very charming, the restaurant was well presented, the food was okay, not the best breakfast buffet we had but nevertheless good to eat. The restaurant was on level 30 so the view was wonderful! Coffee was tastey and so were the other breakfast drinks. Staff were attentative when we requested anything, overall good experience.

I've yet to explore outside the hotel too much, but from what I can see the location is only good if you like high fashion shopping. I've yet to find a supermarket nearby, and from the maps I think the hotel isn't very close to subways. That's fine because I'm here to enjoy and relax, I'm not sure I want to venture too much outside with the heat.

I would come stay here again, not only because the price is great for a 5star hotel, but also the fact the service and amenities are pretty well done as well.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple