“Needs some renovation”

Crystal Orange Hotel Guangzhou Taojin
Ranked #82 of 3,522 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Stayed here on the 30 - 31 March 2013.
Agree with most of the reviewers that hotel / rooms need some work to be done. However, must add that the rooms basically are very nice and spacious. Work is required on the toilets, which in comparison to the room size are small. The toilet door did not lock properly.
Have to mention that the rooms safe locker too did not work properly, hence could not use it.
The breakfast was okay, but I am sure could be better. Needs a lot more seating space in the breakfast area.

The concierge is very good, very helpful.
Housekeeping staff - very good.

Hotel well located. Near metro station.
Indian guests can cross the street to eat at Haveli Restaurant, which is okay.

Room Tip: Learnt to check if the room safety locker works properly without placing anything in it ....

Reviewed 26 March 2013

The important things, my sheets and towels were very clean as was my room. The problem and bulk of the complaints I believe have to do with the buffet area. This area is very outdated, cramped and depressing. The atmosphere in the restaurant is in need of an extreme makeover. They need to take ideas from the Holiday Inn Shifu which has a large, lovely buffet area. There has got to be a way for this makeover to happen and it needs to happen soon. I believe that the hotel is losing business because of the bar and restaurant area. The location is good, the staff friendly and the rooms okay.

Reviewed 25 March 2013

I used to stay in holiday inn city centre 4-5 years ago during my businees trip in Guangzhou because the position is great, just a few minutes from subway and soem 10 minutes drive from Beijing Road.
i was only back this time and found the hotel has not been renovated for years. As you enter, the lobby is nice, and the staff is ok. I got a free upgrade to a suite, but when i was there i really found it old and stinky.
Although I was on a non-smoking floor, the smell was really awful, a mix of smoke and mold both in the corridor and in the room. Furniture in the room is very old, and i could not open the window to get some fresh (?) air. Moreover there was a buzz all night long, that was really annoying, expecially if you are already trying to cope with jet-lag.
Room does not come with many bathroom amenities, to me this was no problem, but someone could complain not to find bath cap or cotton puffs in the bathroom. I think i will stay in Ocean hotel next time, which is just opposite to Holidya Inn, but a little more cheaper and more pleasant.

Reviewed 4 February 2013

We stayed here for three nights in December and we enjoyed our stay even if the rooms are worn and need renovation. There was a very strange smell in the hallway.

Our room was very spacious and comfortable. We had a twin room and the two beds were very good, maybe better than my own bed at home.

The bathroom was like the rest of the room, big and completely out of fashion, but everything worked. Nice shower and soft and thick towels.

Wifi was free and the connection was reliable and fast enough.

We booked our room through a travel agency and breakfast wasn't included in our prepaid price. We chose to have breakfast at the hotel anyway and we did not regret. The breakfast buffet wasn't fantastic, but there was a fair selection of western and chinese food and the price was reasonable.

Hotel staff try to be helpful, they all speak some English, but it was hard for them to understand us when we asked about directions, where to have dinner etc.

The city of Guangzhou is very spread out, so it's difficult to say what would be the most central location in the city. The area around the hotel is not that interesting, even if there are some bars and restaurants close to the hotel, but it's a short walk to the metro so it's easy to get around.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sydensvein
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I have been to this facility several times and it is the first location in my mind whenever I wish to stay in Guangzhou City. I have reviewed it in the past and was fairly satisfied with most of the things besides mentioning that it needed some attention.

I spent two nights this month in different rooms but found similar experience.
The towels MUST be replaced. They have aged and rip easily.
The carpeting in the rooms should be wet washed to remove stains.
Besides this the service is still good and all the staff are ready and will to help.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

I was totally surprised to see the hotel was soooo beautiful! For the amount we paid it exceeded my expectations by a mile!! The room was huge & space is very important if u're travelling with a baby! The food was amazing & the bar was the same. Salute to the staff for their professionalism and being sooo helpful. Had it not been for the staff our holiday could have been different because we were in a foreign country where language was a major barrier!!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 19 January 2013

My recent stay in this hotel was really disappointing. The service isn't that good anymore as it was since 2005.
The rooms are still the same. I always ask for a room with a balcony towards the street Huan Shi Dong Lu.
The Inn Bar has no guests, the Philippine Band has to play for the staff. One of the reason is the changed policy with the welcome drinks. The selection on the drinks are now very limited. Before I got a half liter mug of Carlsberg beer. Now the limited to 0.3 l Tsingtao beer. So I had to refuse this and went to a bar outside the hotel. The service in the Inn bar is now terrible and too restrictive.

The executive lounge also saw already better times and was more open. Now you see every time new staff (unexperienced trainee) and they don't feel you accommodated.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business