“Not Great”

Crystal Orange Hotel Guangzhou Taojin
Ranked #87 of 3,506 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 28 November 2010

Looks grand from the lobby. But this hotel is aged. The rooms were old. Bathroom nothing spectacular. Shame really.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 November 2010

Pre-paying your hotel room on the HI website is a farce and a joke. You are not actually paying for the room but only sending an email to the hotel to request a charge to your credit card. This is not a secure transaction and allows all the personnel at the hotel to see your charge card data. If hotel does not charge your card, you can arrive and be charged the current rate. It happened to me for 2 rooms. The Asst Manager Luke likes to make cute sarcastic remarks to his desk clerk Ivan about Americans hoping others at the counter do not understand Mandarin. Sorry, my wife did and let me know what he said. It took 2 hours on Skype talking to the home office to get any resolution and most of all, if you are a GOLD member like me, then no additional services are made available ie they do not honor the Gold cards for Priority Club. Avoid this place like the plague...

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 November 2010

My gracious guangzhou host booked me City Centre Holiday Inn during my stay for the Asian game period. It is one of the govt appointed hotels to house media and athletes. I hesitated at first worried it will be all busy with the fizzy. To my suprise, they managed the whole deal quite well. It is very peaceful within the hotel. Breakfast buffet are refilled quickly. There is a hotel lady staff on each floor greet you at lift lobby and get the lift ready once I step out of room go out. It seems they run 24 hours such service. The security measure to such an extent made me feel so safe to stay here... Location is great as the name of hotel suggest. The room is generally clean, service is impeccable, but it is in need of some designer touch. It is so 90's from drape to teacup.... So if you are fresh, modern and hip traveler who appreciates good design, you probably will not like this.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank kissalude
Reviewed 30 September 2010

This hotel is conveniently located in cityu centre, just 5-10 min drive from central train station.

It allows one to take train from Hong Kong (if not arriving directly to Guangzhou airport, becoz Hong Kong as much better air connectivity to outside China world as compare to Guangzhou and every 1 hour gets train from Hung Ham station at Hong Kong (Kowloon).

This hotel has good gym, nice reastaurants, hotel rooms are excellent.

Internet speed is real good and opposite to this hotel, there is an Indian restaurant, which solves problem of Indian Veg food in mainland China.

At the given rates, it is one of the best place again "value for Money"

Reviewed 30 September 2010

Checked into this hotel because it had a pool facility and after hot days in GZ I was really looking forward to a swim.
The first day they would not let us into the pool as they had changed the water so we patiently waited for 3pm the following day...(the time they told us we could swim)...only to be told we could not swim as the pool was not prepared...
So annoyed.....we spoke to the staff who were not sympathetic and told us "the pool is free for guests"......implying that no concession should be offered...
Not impressed with the service and for the price you are better to pay a little more and stay at garden hotel..

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2010

I have stayed at this hotek more than 20 times. It is always ok for my needs, but I never walk away being too excited.
Staff is generally cordial and professional. Rarely are they as attentive as other hotels in the area of same price range.
I wonder if this hotel is going to remain a Holiday Inn, as it seems they have not really updated compared to other locations and I think even their signage is old logo if I remember correctly.
I do feel they have improved the bedding and I am happy with that.
I feel the lobby is quite uncomfortable to wait for customers or car pick up unless you seat in the paid coffee shop area. The hotel does not seem to do well to promote a relaxing waiting area.
Hotel bar is small and dark, but open to the lobby. Staff is always attentive and friendly.
Acccess to hotel is via a hard to find side road and car & taxi access is poor.
Taxi's are very reluctant to pick up passengers at hotel unless the fare is good distance. I have been refused many many times.
The area was crowded with bars and restarants, but lately the bars seem quiet- either controlled more or they are no longer the 'in places", not sure which.
I visited the spa and hair salon. Too expensive and not very professional on my last stay.
In China, the internet is normally included and it never ceases to amaze me that this hotel charges rmb 80 per day (lower than before- but not competitive.
I stay for for conveience, but my colleagues question my choice when we travel together, so I guess this part of the review.

Reviewed 15 September 2010

I stayed in Holiday Inn City Center Guangzhou this Sept'10. The hotel offers luxuries standard & business rooms and suits. I stayed in a Business rooms on 16th Floor. This is a old hotel so the lobby carpet was dirty. But room was good, It has 2 queen size beds with good linen. Bathrooms was a bit small but ok for our need. The lobby bar was a good place to have your drink and the Ice Cream trolley of Move n Pick was mouth watering. The best thing why i choose to stay here was the HAVELI Indian restaurant which was just opposite the Hotel. Hotel staff was gentle with average knowledge of English (Which is the biggest problem in China).
The best part is its equidistant from all corners of the City and most of my favourate spots were very near from it. Overall Holiday inn City Center is a good place to stay but don't expect 5 star luxuries.