“Excellent staff but restaurants and bars require improvements”

The Garden Hotel Guangzhou
Ranked #14 of 3,408 Hotels in Guangzhou
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
“Excellent staff but restaurants and bars require improvements”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel during the month of April for a few nights. Staff is friendly and pay close attention to guest remarks. Restaurants and bars need to extend Opening hours of some bars or Café’s. Hotel Management needs to pay attention to breakfast buffet in terms of variety of offered food and its freshness. in different occasions Waffles, Pan Cakes and Donuts were dry with very minimal supply. Same thing for the Toast. Hotel guests sometimes have to remind restaurant staff to add more food supplies. The setup of Jams and Peanut Butter is primitive and not tempting. The hotel should identify smoking zones at bars and restaurants or ban smoking if possible as some smokers sit everywhere without being courteous to nonsmokers. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AABDHAHRAN
thegardenhotel, Guest Services Department at The Garden Hotel Guangzhou, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear AABDHAHRAN,

First of all, thank you for choosing The Garden Hotel as your preferred accommodation for your recent trip to Guangzhou.

We take guest feedback seriously in order to improve and maintain our Services which are offered to our guests.

Your comments in regards to your breakfast experience have been shared with our Operations Teams to ensure a proper follow-up with actions in place to improve these areas.Even though we have clear smoking areas for those guests who wish to smoke, it is our responsibility to ensure that these areas are being used properly.

I apologize for the uncomfortable experience you have had during your recent stay.
Please allow us some time to improve our product, but we would definitely like to welcome you back in the near future.If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Jochen@thegardenhotel.com.cn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Petersburg, Alaska
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I don't normally stay at hotels of this caliber. That said, the service, cleanliness, and everything was top notch. If you're used to an extra soft bed you might complain but for my experiences in China, the beds were quite comfortable. The price was high, though we managed to get a price from a local travel agent that was lower than anything I could find online (and we're pretty good about finding deals).

This hotel is very common with Americans that are adopting children from China - all have to do about a week of business in Guangzhou, so the common areas often are filled with families going through the first few weeks with their new children.

That's why we stayed there and we found the room with the extra living area very important for us. We needed the space because our new son was quite uncomfortable in large crowds and public spaces. That also gave us a room to spend time together after we had put him to bed so we could catch up on work, update friends and family on the progress, and just generally relax for a while.

The bathroom was great with a separate shower and tub enclosure, separate toilet room (though glass walls), and all the amenities you might need, from toothpaste and razors to bath salts and cotton swabs.

There is a Starbucks and McDonald's very nearby but also some good food available along some of the nearby streets that is much less than the hotel restaurants. That said, the hotel restaurants are good and room service was fast and tasty. The breakfast buffet has a great range for western and Chinese tastes.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank zieak
Dear zieak,

Thank you for spending time in reviewing your recent stay with us.

As you mentioned in your review, we are cooperating with one of the local adoption agencies and provide a temporary home for those traveling families with endless consulates visits and additional tasks that need to be achieved.

Even though it’s a busy time for them, we are trying to create great experiences for those families, unlike your own, to ensure that while in the hotel, they are properly looked after.

I’m glad to hear that your room was very accommodating which is important to create a comfortable environment for your family, especially with new additions to it.

The surroundings of the hotel cater to any taste with great offerings even within the hotel.
Congratulations on your family addition and all the best.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back to The Garden Hotel sometimes to relive those treasured memories.

Shanghai, China
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I have been in this hotel several times for business trip. I really like it. After busy work, i feel the same comfort as the home.
Great service always helps me a lot. I would suggest you staying at Garden hotel. It's in the center of Guangzhou city. They have a very good view which is very seldom you can find from other hotels.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Carlos880727
Dear Carlos880727,

I’d like to extend my appreciation to you in taking your precious time to review your recent stay.

I’m glad to hear that we have made your recent stay as well as previous stays enjoyable and created a “Home away from Home” for you.

Not only within our Guest Service team are we trying to create memorable experiences, but with the entire hotel team.

In case you are planning your next trip to The Garden Hotel, please do not hesitate to contact me personally for any assistance.

Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed 4 nights for the Cantonfair 2014. I have stayed here before and liked it! After à Quick Incheck at reception i come To My Rom at 9th floor, and it looken at time stod still sinne last visit 5 years ago. But Claen and good sized room and really wellslepped bed makes all really good. Even if it is time for some uppdating soon. I Also gott help when My train tickets did not arrived in time, big Hanks To Mr David Ou That took Care of That, really good done

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Magnus B
Dear MagnusB,

Thank you for taking your time to review your recent stay with us.

We have briefly met during your stay with us and I’m glad to hear that my colleague was able to solve the train ticket issue for you.

In regards to the comments about your room, we have just launched a major upgrade project for our rooms which will be conducted in the coming 8 months. Our new rooms will be modern and contemporary as well as equipped with the latest in in-room technology.

Please let me know once you are planning your next trip to Guangzhou for any assistance in terms of booking.We are looking forward to welcome you in the near future.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Best Chinese hotel in Guangzhou, though old still best place to stay for both business and pleasure with nice spa service. Rooms we're clean, nice breakfast spread, amazing lobby and service were excellent.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank VELKANNAN
thegardenhotel, Guest Services Department at The Garden Hotel Guangzhou, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Chellsamy V,

Thank you for your short but excellent review.
I’m glad to hear that you’ve enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us.
With its almost 30 years of heritage here in Guangzhou, we are still reinventing ourselves on a regular basis to ensure that our guests are looked after and properly treated.
In case you are planning your next trip to Guangzhou, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Shanghai
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Company contract hotel, service girl is very pretty and funny , there are takela Mexico , Italy and 1920 Germany restaurant in back street ,30 mins to canton fair exhibition centre and shuttle bus every half hour . 20 min to famous Beijing road for fake market . You could buy fake bag and watch there with best qualities and price . Breakfast is good , eastern food is good too . They always change good decoration in the lobby . There are famous people living there too , Jacky's Chen was there two weeks ago , I wish I saw him then . I have stayed there 10 times and I'm enjoying it every time .

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Muqichao234509
Dear Muqichao234509,

Thank you for taking your time to review your recent stay with us.
Due to the hotel’s location, within close proximity there are many different options for dining and entertainment. The area is constantly evolving and so are we.
We are fortunate to have celebrities visiting us from time to time. Maybe during your next stay we will welcome you as our top VIP?!
Please let me know once you are planning your next trip back to The Garden Hotel for another great stay experience.
I’m looking forward to welcome you back.

Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This was like my first stay in China and The Garden Hotel did not disappoint.
I loved the way we were received and warmly welcomed, loved the Chinese culture. The reception area is breath taking and so is the hotel ambience.
You must visit the spa and health club-if only to behold the water falls surrounded by beautiful scenery and the neighbouring sky-scrapers.
The rooms are lovely and I definitely loved the free wifi all over the hotel.
The Concierge desk was truly helpful, offering maps of Guangzhou and various shopping places pointed out in the map-this proved invaluable.
My stay at this hotel was truly idyllic, I would definitely recommend it and I look forward to a return visit.
Thank you all.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SusanGitonga
Dear Susan Gitonga,

Thank you so much for taking your time in reviewing our hotel.
I’m glad to hear that you’ve had an enjoyable stay from the very beginning with all aspects fulfilled to your requirements.
I will extend your regards to our Concierge Team who seemed to be very helpful to ensure that you discover Guangzhou in the right way with all its tantalizing elements.
Furthermore, I’m happy to hear that the Service overall provided to you lead to recommending our hotel as well as yourself returning for a next stay.
If I can be of any assistance for your next trip to Guangzhou, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.