“Nice hotel in a lovely area” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Guangdong Victory Hotel

Guangdong Victory Hotel
Ranked #31 of 3,385 Hotels in Guangzhou
Edinburgh
“Nice hotel in a lovely area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

We found the west wing of the Victory hotel to be clean, quiet and comfortable and in a really nice area. The breakfast was very good and it offered free afternoon tea/coffee and cookies. It's very handy for the metro and the river.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Venice, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

First, the hotel is located in a street that is just absolutely beautiful. European architecture and tree lined street. 2nd, 8 minute walk to the Metro was just awesome.

We stayed there during the weekend of Mid Autumn Full Moon festival and it seemed like everyone was getting married that weekend. The Street were there hotel is situated was full of brides getting their pictures taken. I think its because of the beautiful surrounding.

Now for the hotel review, our flight arrived late so by the time we got to the hotel it was already midnight. We thought that it should be an easy check in but there was a long line of foreigners checking in at the same time. So it took a bit of time to get check in. Kinda a minus but i will be forgiving since they might not have anticipated this many people checking in at this time.

We booked a Business Suite at the East building, not bad since its a corner room but the toilet wouldnt flush and they fixed it right away although it would break as soon as we flush again :). So they decided to move us to another suite and this time the suite was huge with the most amazing view of the city and river. Love the front desk people.

What was the highlight of the stay is when we got a call on the night of my B's birthday and the staff called to let us know that they were sending us a cake. How cool was that ... we have traveled all over the world on his bday and this is the first time we ever got a cake from the hotel we stay at. This was pretty impressive. Not to mention that we got a box of Mooncake during the festival. Small touches that can go a long way.

Best piece of advice I can give is eat at their restaurant, they have by far the best dimsum we've had in Guangzhou.

We are definitely coming back to this hotel on our next trip to GZ.

Room Tip: 3628 is a really good room.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
Uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

If as a Family you wish to stay here then take note, the noise from room to room can be heard very loud, the food is very exspensive and is of poor quality, for two slices of toast and two orange drinks it cost £22.00, the main meal was poor the chicken was like rubber,
the decor is of poor standard and the pool area floor covering around the pool is torn and comming up. really the rooms are not that clean and the hotel stands near a very very very dirty river which people fish in at night the smell is very very bad

the snooker tables are £5.00 per hour and tables base on both tables are torn i would not stop here again what you see on paper is not what you get, if you ask for none smoking like me there are some chinese people that not take not and smoke if you book please enjoy your stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Andy S
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

Booked 2 nites Business room at East wing (Non smoking floor -5th floor). It was abt 35min from GZ North Bullet Train station & taxi cost abt $80-$100 (remember to take GZ taxi as some of my frens took Panyu or other town cabs & need to change cab after <10min again). Need to place deposit at CNY500/room by cash/credit card though bill is fully paid in advance.

Hotel was great and got rooms as requested (non-smoking, twin bed). Bed was comfortable, with 2 soft pillows (personally i prefer firmer ones). Come with hot & cold water dispenser so just need to top up into yr existing water bottle/cup provided. Abt 10min walk to Shang Xia Jiu Jie (one of the shopping belt where Holiday inn & the Huangsha train station is located).
There is a 7-11 to the right of hotel & a Chinese massage 5-10min left to the hotel (1hr foot/shoulder massage CNY88 only, additional 1 hr body massage is total CNY168 only). Surrounding is great with trees and nice sculptures, and also Starbucks nearby. Didnt venture far as it was a short stay.Book 12 seater van from hotel to GZ airport at CNY400 (my fren say see fr tel directory but we paid thru hotel). Good value for money- will definitely stay here again for short stay.

Room Tip: Ask for non-smoking floors for non-smokers.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

I loved the hotel. We only stayed for three nights and made an early checked out because its very far away from the places I wanted to visits during my tripe. The room is clean, staff are excellent and friendly. Not far away from Pearl River. I noticed many foster parents American families who came to China to adopt Chinese children.
I have nothing negative about the hotel except it’s far from my points of interests and taxi take forever to take me from to the hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

Stayed for two nights in August 2011, for $75 per night including taxes (Orbitz). Decent rooms, not large but also not small, with the usual amenities. Seemed clean. Hard beds, as is common in China, but I like it that way. Nice and helpful staff with decent English skills.

Nice breakfast buffet included. On Shamian Island, so great if you want to stay there; to get to the subway to go elsewhere, you have to walk about 10 minutes and across two bridges to the Huang Sha subway station.

Would consider taking this hotel again if staying in Guangzhou, depending on price and purpose of trip. Not a bad choice.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Guangzhou, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

I chose this hotel thanks to Trip Advisor. The location is perfect and out of the hustle and bustle of Guangzhou while still being very central. Everything felt very colonial and I enjoyed the ambiance of the Island. There is a Starbucks just around the corner.

I had a room on the 5th floor and the furnishings were lovely. The 5th Floor is NO SMOKING. I did go onto one of the smoking floors and found that to be awful. I think that it is very important that you request NON SMOKING when you make your reservation.....

My only complaint was that I had a small issue with mosquitoes in my room which I used the free English language newspaper to deal with and I found that the hotel bar was ludicrously expensive.

There is a massage parlour/hair dressers in the hotel by the entrance of the lifts and pretty Chinese girls would try to entice me in every time I walked past with offers of massages and even a 'happy massage' which I respectfully declined... It was not exactly what I expected to be contained in an upmarket hotel in China.

If you are looking for a proper traditional massage then along the street (just before you get to bridge that you cross over to the metro) is a traditional Chinese herbalist and massage centre. I went there and had the most amazing back massage/manipulation. This Chinese doctor really sorted out my back. I was really grateful. Well worth the visit. I left feeling very happy but I think a different sort of happy than I would have experienced at the hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business