“Very comfortable place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Guangdong Victory Hotel

Guangdong Victory Hotel
Ranked #31 of 3,385 Hotels in Guangzhou
England
“Very comfortable place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

I had a great time here. My room - non smoking business in East Wing - was very comfortable and modern. Great bed, plenty of hot water, huge TV, lots of amenities in the bathroom (including a comb and scales, which I've not come across before!). The only slight issue I had was with the a/c - I couldn't turn it up at all, so I was always a bit chilly in the room (and it was chilly in Guangzhou while I was there as well). My room was also quiet so I had a good night's sleep very night. I also really liked the location on Shamian Island - it's a quick walk to Hangzhou metro station and to the pedestrian street with plenty of shops and great Cantonese food. Don't hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

We live in Hong Kong and were not able to take a long holiday but thought we needed a short break.

We did some research and found out about Shamian Island in Guangzhou. The history is fascinating and goes back to the Opium Wars. Guangzhou is only two hours by train from Hong Kong so is ideal for a trip as we only had Christmas Day and Boxing Day off from work.

We didn't want to stay at the glitzy curtain wall high rise hotels but wanted to soak in the atmosphere in a colonial hotel and the Guangdong Victory Hotel sounded perfect. It has a long history going back to 1850 and the site has been used as the HSBC Bank and the Victoria Hotel.

We left Hong Kong in the afternoon of Christmas Eve and arrived in Guangzhou East Station early evening. The metro train service is extensive and efficient with signage and instructions in English and we took the yellow line to HuangSha Station. It was an easy 15 minute walk from the station over the bridge to Shamian Island and the hotel.

We had chosen the West Wing of the hotel which is built in neo classical style. We had booked two nights in the Executive Room which had been recommended by the hotel when we had made enquiries. It was very reasonably priced including breakfast and all taxes. Checking in was easy and the staff spoke English. We were very pleased with the room which was far better than I had expected. It was large with a Queen sized bed,a luxurious bathroom and French windows opening onto a big balcony. We felt like we were in Paris rather than China. I found out that the rooms had been refurbished in 2010.

That night we walked out and found an excellent Chinese restaurant closeby. There was a lot of Christmas atmosphere in the streets with people dressed up and shouting Merry Christmas. I thought the room maybe noisy as it faced onto the road but it was quiet and we slept very well.

In the morning we had the buffet breakfast in the atrium. It was good with a lot of variety of dishes. We then spent the whole day walking around Shamian Island and looking at all the colonial buildings which had been used as banks, trading companies and embassies by many countries. Shamian Island had originally been granted to England and France as a concession during the opium wars, later many other countries set up, including Japan, India, USA and Thailand. We were impressed that the buildings had been preserved with plaques giving the history of the buildings. Even Starbucks had made a big effort and taken over a colonial building which had been updated unobstrusively and fitted in with the colonial location. In Hong Kong there is very little left of the colonial heritage.

On Boxing Day we took the metro from Huangsha station to the Chen's Academy. This was also well worth a visit and dates back to the last dynasty and houses many interesting exhibits. The Academy is on the way back to Guanzhou East Station so is a good stopping point.

We enjoyed our stay at the Victory Hotel. It is very comfortable, good service and convenient for seeing Shamian Island and nearby places of interest. We are planning to go back.

Room Tip: West Wing Executive Room is highly recommended.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank david88forshaw
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

My boyfriend and I love Shamian Island. And everytime we go, we stay at the Victory Hotel. We have stayed there over 7 times. Out of the 7 times, we have had issues with the staff 5 times.

Do not bother speaking to Moon or Jackson - they will not help you at all. We asked Moon to call a taxi for us and she refused because she said the taxis will not come unless it is to the airport. We asked if she can try she said no, they will not come. We called a taxi by ourselves from the hotel and the taxi came. I did not appreciate the fact the the staff will not even try and they just say no.

Another time, we asked front desk to bring out luggage to the West Wing, as it is easier to get a taxi there and they said no, and insisted that we get a taxi by the West Wing and ask the taxi driver to come around to the East Wing. After 10 min of arguing, they finally brought the luggage over.

Again, the location of the hotel is amazing, I just wish they can improve on their customer service. After all, this is a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Fifi F
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

Clean room. Got the cheapest single king bed room in the east tower, and the room didn't have any cigarette odor I have come to dread when visiting Chinese hotels.

Great location. Not sure what others meant by the hotel being remote. It's a 5-10 min walk from the Huangsha subway station, which for CNY5 connects you to the airport or the railway station. It's also a 15-20 min from the bustling Shangxia ("Up/Down") 9 Pedesterian Street, not to mention the numerous CNY2 bus lines that connect you to the rest of Guangzhou if you trust Baidu maps or are brave enough to rely on the not-so-reliable English announcements.

Quiet. It's situated on the Shamian island. I can't imagine why several government agencies including China Customs would set up shop there unless it's a relatively peaceful place.

Free gym access, although it's a bit odd to be staring at schoolkids in their red scarves in the immediately adjacent building during my working out---I assumed the kids could see me too when they're not looking at the blackboards.

All in all, definitely would return to Victory Hotel for my next trip to Guangzhou.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Eric B
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

Great location for being close to local attractions and metro train network. Walking distance to cheap markets and surrounded by street food north of river. Rooms are decent, clean for mid range prices. Breakfast is good to average, good coffee which is important. For some reason decent coffee in China cost more than a meal, around $6AUD.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alistair R
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

This is a lovely old hotel in the nicest part of a very bustling city.
We were surprised that the Front Desk and Restaurant staff did not speak better English, as this is obviously a hotel and location that caters to foreigners. The room was very nice as was the extensive buffet breakfast.
The nicest thing is the location. In a huge and noisy Guandong, the Shamian Island neighbor hood is a bit of old Europe with great walks and great views of the river.
The old market area of old Canton is just across the road, accessable by pedestrian bridges.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Artie51
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

I was only there for one day and hotel was okay, but I don't think it is as good as everbody here is saying. Staff were fine, but they - like many in China - were pretty clueless on things like afternoon coffee and breakfast (I was given peanut butter when asked for syrup for my French toast). There was a lot of food at b'fast, but not much that I wanted.

I was only in Guangzhou for one night and a local friend says the action of the city has shifted away from the centre (where Victory is located) to a new part of the city.

Shamian is a quaint place to stay, but I don't really think this hotel is as good as everbody says. Perhaps it all came down to expectations. Don't get too excited.

Lastly the cheap room on the Western side (quoted in other reviews as being quite good) are close the the main road and noisy. I changed rooms to something quieter.

Room Tip: Lastly the cheap room on the Western side (quoted in other reviews as being quite good) are close th...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo