“Guangdong Victory Hotel, Shamian Island - not to be missed”

Guangdong Victory Hotel
Ranked #33 of 3,559 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We can only agree with the positive recommendations for this hotel.
Hopefully our comments are of use to independent travellers. If you haven't much luggage take the Metro to the hotel and avoid the traffic congestion. From the East Railway Station take Line 1 (yellow) to Huangsha. Use exit D into an open plaza and go towards the river - look left - you'll see an overpass that takes you to Shamian Island. There is a useful map when you leave the overpass. If you are booked into the West Wing look for Shamian Street number 4 because this is where the West Wing is - in spite of the address!!
The chinese restaurant in the hotel (East Wing) is good value likewise the excellent vegetarian restaurant near the West Wing hotel on Shamian North Street.

Our stay in Guangzhou was exceptional value for money - 2 nights stay with breakfast and a dinner for two was less than one buffet meal in Hong Kong (admittedly it was the Grand Hyatt in Wan Chai and we did have a bottle of wine!). That's another recommended hotel - the decor is stunning and the rooms are great too.

Room Tip: Book the West Wing through the hotel website for the best price if the website is available..
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Member58

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel in 2005 and were treated so wonderfully that we made a point of staying there again this time. Your staff are exceptional and the breakfast was delightful. Nothing was too much trouble and I would recommend this hotel, and its location on Shamian Island, to anyone visiting Guangzhou.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Vanda R
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed here for three nights during Chinese New Year. the hotel is lovely. We paid a little more to stayed on the wing with a big balcony, although only used it once but still like it. Room is clean and modern, with free wifi, breakfast is a little boring. There is a coffee shop just downstairs, and a bakery in the other wing.
Location of the hotel is fantastic, it's in an attraction and also easily access to everywhere. But it got very crowded during Chinese holidays though.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank curiouskitty
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We enjoyed out stay at the Guangdong Victory Hotel, even if things didn't run totally smoothly. We had a standard room in the West (old) wing.

The good - easy check in with friendly, helpful staff, the (double) bed was very comfortable, the sheets and towels were very good quality, great walk in shower. On check out, the staff were very helpful, and Rebecca helped us book our bus out of town, then gave us directions on how to find the bus stop.

The 'not so good' - the room had a strong smell of air freshener, which I suspect was to cover cigarette smoke (non-smoking room, but this IS China!), the traffic outside was very noisy if the window was left open, and the (included in the room price) breakfast was a shambles. We went down at 9.15, and there was almost nothing left. The staff seemed very young and unsure about how to manage a full dining room, and people trying to find somewhere to sit, then something to eat.

We loved Shamian, and would stay at the Victory Guangdong again, as overall it was good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the busy road that runs along the 'city-facing' side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cazali
Reviewed 4 March 2014

There are times when I am doing something which is so good that I am happy that I am not doing anything else in the world at that moment. I had that feeling when I recently stayed at the Guangdong Victory Hotel in Guangzhou.

Based on reviews on Trip Advisor and Booking.com, I chose to pay a little more for a room in the East Wing. This is a misnomer, as the East and West Wings are not "wings" but separate buildings which are not adjoining. I was very pleased with this choice. The room was roomy and comfortable. The bathroom accessories were adequate. The hot water was hot. The staff spoke adequate to excellent English (depending on who you spoke with), and they were efficient and friendly.

I enjoyed breakfast very much. It was appropriate for a four star hotel. Appetizing and varied and adequate. I also had dinner in the Chinese restaurant on the second floor of the West Wing which was so good that I returned the next night.

The location of Guangdong Victory Hotel on Shamian Island is superb, with the serenity and beauty of the island, its parks and architecture. It should also be noted that the island can be reached easily by metro, and it is also close to a pier from which Pearl River Tours can be taken.

While not currently in my plans, if I return to Guangzhou I will definitely return to the Guangdong Victory Hotel.

Room Tip: Take a room in the East Wing
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Hanan B
Reviewed 3 March 2014

For the price (we paid £38 per night), this was a great hotel. Being on Shamian Island is a complete oasis in such a huge frantic city. We were (I think) in the West Wing - which has not been renovated, but is absolutely fine. The room was large and very clean and tidy. Try and find out if you're booked in the East or West wing as they are actually different buildings, a couple of hundred metres apart. Didn't try the hotel breakfast, but did frequent the very inexpensive bakery on the ground floor which has a range of pastries, coffee and tea. We found all the staff to be great - all spoke enough English to get by. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TWP64
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I had a great time here. My room - non smoking business in East Wing - was very comfortable and modern. Great bed, plenty of hot water, huge TV, lots of amenities in the bathroom (including a comb and scales, which I've not come across before!). The only slight issue I had was with the a/c - I couldn't turn it up at all, so I was always a bit chilly in the room (and it was chilly in Guangzhou while I was there as well). My room was also quiet so I had a good night's sleep very night. I also really liked the location on Shamian Island - it's a quick walk to Hangzhou metro station and to the pedestrian street with plenty of shops and great Cantonese food. Don't hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo