“Great hotel, good room, not-too-bad location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Boya Holiday Hotel
Boya Holiday Hotel
Ranked #573 of 3,387 Hotels in Guangzhou
Bangkok, Thailand
“Great hotel, good room, not-too-bad location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I booked this hotel last minute via agoda for my Canton Fair visit in April 2014. This is due to having found that the other hotel that I booked in the beginning, Oubon International Hotel, was incorrectly located on the Expedia's map (its actual location is about 20-30 km away from what appears on the map with no subway station nearby, and Expedia has not yet fixed it until now). I called expedia 6-7 times even before I catch my flight to China to get them solve this issue, and spent hours on the phone in order to get them cancel my reservation without penalty. Expedia even asked me to call Oubon hotel manager by myself to negotiate for the penalty fee. It was unbelievable especially considering the fact that they deceived me with wrong information in the beginning. I will make sure that Expedia will be my last choice for my future hotel reservation.

Gladly I did try to change the hotel. The room at Boya Holiday was well equipped. My room appeared to be exactly the same as in the photos. There was a large LCD TV (not sure if it has any English channel). Bathroom was large and came with full set of toiletries, but without a tub (I am not a big fan of that). The bed and linen turned out to be of high-quality. They were very comfortable and very clean, way better than many hotels in China. The only window in the room was too small, so there was not much sunlight in the room. I think other rooms has a bigger window. One downside was that although I requested a non-smoking room, I could occasionally slightly smell cigarettes in both my room and the corridor, but soon the smell was gone.

Location-wise, the hotel is approximately 600-700 meters away from the nearest subway exit if one use a shortcut by going through the gate of the residential complex nearby. It was quiet easy to spot that gate since many locals use it during the day. From the subway exit, one can see the hotel's brown building with its Chinese sign with curved top. Moreover, the hotel is only 2 stations from Guangzhou Railway Station and within walking distance from Wanda shopping mall and Wal-Mart, finding a place to eat was not a big deal.

The breakfast which was included in the room rate was better than what I expected and the menu were changed on each day. However I found that it lack Western food selection.

The hotel even provided free shuttle bus service to and from the Canton fair. For the price, it was well worth it and I will stay here again especially for the next fair.

Room Tip: Try asking for a room with bigger windows.