“Monochrome Kingdom”

Ranked #3 of 3,408 Hotels in Guangzhou
Hong Kong
“Monochrome Kingdom”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The moment I walked into the hotel lobby, I was immediately struck by its high ceiling (perhaps 3 floors tall). Decor is modern Art Deco, and every inch breathes CHIC.

The entire hotel is dominated by black, white and beige, tastefully coordinated to create a sense of comfort and style without austerity. I especially admire the long corridors in monochrome pattern, which seem endless.

Standard rooms are spacious with separate compartment for toilet and shower. Bath tub is laid with beige marble, with a TV mounted onto the wall.

Hotel service is impeccable with quick response to each request. I would like to express special thanks to Eric who went out of his way to meet our needs and fix small problems.

Breakfast at the Kitchen Table is very creative with a variety of dishes served with fresh ingredients. The Chinese Restaurant Yan Yu boasts authentic Cantonese cuisine.

Great effort indeed.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Epicurius_at_large
WGuangzhou, Hotel Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Thank you for staying with W Guangzhou. We are happy to gave you a good memory in you trip to Guangzhou. Welcome back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Awesome and chic hotel, among a cool neighborhood of restaurants, wine bars and lounges.

The pool area is gorgeous! The room is nicely decorated, and the bathtub is incredibly comfortable.

The best thing about the hotel is definitely its staff. After we checked out, we left our luggage in the hotel as our flight was at night. Immediately when we returned in a hurry to retrieve our baggage, the manager on duty was alerted came to us quickly and verified that we've accidentally left a sum cash in the room. She returned the amount to us promptly.
Should their communication not be as efficient, we would not have had the time to do any lost and found as we were rushing for our flight.

Kudos to the team, I will definitely come back again!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Teo P
Thank you for stay with us. We are so happy that you can found your baggage and catched your flight punctually. Welcome back soon.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

This is a really great hotel. The W design is awesome, beautiful and very functional rooms. Common areas are beautifully designed and very W. Breakfast restaurant is very calming with a great selection you would expect from a 5 Star hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank HewiLondon
WGuangzhou, Hotel Manager of W Guangzhou at W Guangzhou, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
We are glad to know you had a good experience in W Guangzhou, and The Kitchen Table restaurant was impressed you so much. Looking forward to see you again soon.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Stayed here with my Husband in May. Beautiful lobby that has been decorated better than any other hotel I've stayed at. We enjoyed breakfast at the Kitchen Table and cocktails at woo bar. My husband is a SPG Platinum member and as such we were given an amazing suite with access to the W Lounge which was one of the best exec lounges I've ever been too. Service was fantastic with all of our needs being adhered to efficiently and we had some lovely conversations and got some amazing recommendations from the W Insider Amanda who works there. I enjoyed a really relaxing massage at the SPA and we left feeling very pampered and satisfied as its rare to find this kind of hotel in China.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

I am currently staying at the W this is the most amazing fun and stylish hotel. The breakfast is truly incredible catering for all likes! Service has been so friendly and attentive. Well done I will be back!

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I stayed here for one night, I was very excited because I'm a fan of the W Hotels in other places. Check in took a bit longer than expected because we booked a room for two people in one room, but they only offered us one complimentary breakfast. The other person would have to pay but that didn't make any sense as before it said breakfast included for the both of us. But that was fixed and later they left a voice message in our hotel room apologizing.

We used the gym and the swimming pool, luckily their service there were good. The staff up at the fitness centre, and the swimming pool, and the spa floor where the lockers are at were very helpful. The gym is great, got free weights and a smith machine which is pretty good for a hotel gym. The pool setting is nice, spent a few hours there relaxing.

The room itself was fine, and the restaurants were fine, there are I believe three different places to eat from, we tried the Japanese restaurant and the buffet for breakfast. They were both good, though the Japanese restaurant is really expensive but that's most hotel restaurants.

Checking out took longer than expected, we wanted to purchase the Bathrobes that the W Hotel here had, (they're very comfortable, but pricey, I believe 600-700 RMB for one) And it took them almost 30 minutes to get one bathrobe down from the upper floors.

Great stay overall, but really lacking service down at the lobby area. Service at the restaurants, and the Spa/Fitness Centre/ Pool are good but in the lobby, it's just not there. But I expect the service to be improving soon as the W Hotel in Guangzhou is fairly new, so the staff are too, still got that new carpet smell. Given a few more months the service should get better hopefully. Likely to return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Guangzhou, China
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We are the big big fan of W hotels,when we knew that the first W hotel in China would be located in Guangzhou,we were so excited and had a high expectation on it.Although we are local GZ,we still spent one night in W Guangzhou.

I have been to W Hongkong and W Koh Samui,both of them were very chic,no matter inside or outside.W GZ is a little bit different,outside is so W--chic,but inside is so Le Meridien--Art!

The lobby is very chic,it was wonderful,especially at night!The decoration of the corridors of guestroom floor were fantastic and very art.

The guestroom didnot use W's main color--purple,its style was more like Le Meridien style--ART,so when we got in,it made me feel like I was staying in Le Meridien.P.S.I love Le Meridien,too!The toilet was very high-tech,the bathroom was pretty good. The price of the goods in the mini bar was acceptale,some goods were local and special.

I remember when we stayed in W Koh Samui,we visited their store,the products were very chic,very W,at the end,my hubby bought the lovely red bear for me,so I expect that the store in W GZ will sell some unique product and I could buy some special goods,however,I am wrong,it was not interesting at all,they sell the product which we could buy in some shop in Guangzhou and the product was not match with W style.

Overall,W GZ is pretty cool,love it!In the future,we will still love to spend weekend in W GZ!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple