“A nice weekend at W Guangzhou”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of W Guangzhou

W Guangzhou
Ranked #7 of 3,396 Hotels in Guangzhou
Hong Kong, China
“A nice weekend at W Guangzhou”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Apart from W Taipei, this is the second W hotel I had ever stay. The great experience at W Taipei made me interested in this hotel brand. However, the room rate is generally high. Thanks for spg, this time I got a free night award, the first W property in mainland China was my first choice to stay for a weekend vacation.

Decor was not as stylish and chic as at Taipei. Staffs from different duties I met were polite. Check-in was smooth.

Wonderful room was not as spacious as expected to be 50sqm. I liked the bathrobe so much which was very comfortable. As the weather was not good for sightseeing, I brought some blu-ray discs and the in-room blu-ray player was useful for me to enjoy for leisure.

WET (swimming pool) was an indoor pool on 29/F, this was not a heated pool as described on website, but still adequate to swim. I appreciate their monitoring staff stayed outside the pool, which made the environment in pool area being more itimate and private. Only one sensor setting aside for a series of 3 jacuzzi seats, which was not convenient, enough and sensitive, water jet was also quite weak which have room for improvement.

Indeed, I spent a great evening in WET, also had a overall great stay at W Guangzhou, hope I can be here when I am in GZ next time.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Hello leetybobby,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your recent experience. We truly appreciate your comments and rest assured that we have addressed your comments to the relevant departments to make the necessary actions. I’m happy to hear that you’ve enjoyed the various facilities and services of our hotel.
Thank you again and we look forward welcoming back you soon at W Guangzhou.

Peter Katusak-Huzsvar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I stayed in W Guangzhou in znovember for 3 nights during a business trip.

The hotel interior impresses from the first minutes - shiny, glitzy and with loads of stuff running to assist. The rooms are glossy, new, fabulously decorated, with ipod docks and other eleconics thought through till last one.

The view from the room was lovely, breakfast very very varied, room service usually under 10mins.

The negative side was that while the hotel management is clearly service oriented all of the staff, except for those in reception, have very very limited English skills.

Hotel restaurants are more like works of art than asian food places; for those in search of a more elaxed setting - there is a whole street of restaurants literally around the corner.

Later in the evening loud funky music will greet you in the lobby but rest assured - sound isolation is also part of the package.

The gym is modern and large - no shortage of tredmills at 7 am

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Hello armaninl,
Thank you for taking time to share your comments.
I am glad to hear that you’ve liked our design and the service level of our hotel.
We have noted your comments about the English skills of certain positions and have already increased the frequency of our English classes to avoid any potential language barrier in the future.
We look forward to welcome you again at W Guangzhou.

Best regards,
Guangzhou
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

I went to w Guangzhou,yesterday night just for dinner,when we entered in the lobby there was such a loud music that we couldn't really heard each other talking,then where to ask informations?is so confusing 4 counter in the lobby,is a beat too much,we then went up at kitchen table restaurant to have dinner where the menu is so confusing that we had to ask at the server few times few things,during our supper one of the waiter overthrow some water,instead to clean and apologies she just run off and laugh,we had to call her back and ask her to clean and she didn' t really understand because her poor English,anyways the food is not up to 5 star hotel and neither the service

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Francesca S
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Hello Francesca S,
Thank you for taking time to share your feedback with us. I’m very sorry to hear that you’ve found the music level in our Living Room to loud and the set-up of our Welcome Desk confusing.
I have noted your comments regarding your dinner in our Kitchen Table restaurant and please accept my apologies for the lack of service. Please be assured that I have shared your feedback with the team and we have already organized additional trainings for service delivery to exceed our guest expectations. We look forward to welcome you again.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here, and now that I live here in Guangzhou, here are, in order, the things which bring me back time and time again aside from the rooms:

1. The Insider!!!:
Amanda, the "Insider" at the W Guangzhou really knows her stuff. She showed me parts of the city that even long time residents have no clue about, showed me the proper way of eating crab like a well informed local, took me to art galleries off the beaten path, and keeps the tips of places, concerts, events and things happening around town current. As friendly as they get, Amanda really does a good job of not only keeping guests informed, but giving them a in-the-know friend in a chaotic city.

2. Wu bar:
Having a chill drink in a place as stylish as my living room when I am away from home is super important... and Wu bar does not disappoint. It is a great pace to have a fancy drink and just chill. Secret tip, the WiFi lets you get on FB so you can make your friends jealous about all the cool things you are seeing, oh, and a great place to celeb watch! :D

3. Fei:
Great Music, Beautiful People, and a great atmosphere. Having been to other W brands around the world, I think Fei ranks up there with some of the best. Although ordering a drink at times from the bar on the main floor is VERY VERY difficult, I found that going to the top floor and getting a drink and coming back down is way easier. Hopefully, the kinks are worked out soon, as the bar is still young. The band is stellar! And you really have to love the attention to detail that goes into the decorating and performance during the special events.

4. The feel of the hotel:
This is a newer hotel. The staff and the clients are fashionable, friendly, and trendsetting. Mostly everyone here is multilingual and seem generally ready to offer a helping hand for the curious guest. It is a welcome respite from the hustle and bustle of Guangzhou. You are transformed into a world specially curated for the taste conscious. I recommend a stay here, a visit here, and/or a night out here.

Put on your party shoes, and dance the night away!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Hello riyaliti,
I am very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us at W Guangzhou met your expectation and that you enjoyed your time in our Woobar and Fei. Your kind note on Amanda is greatly appreciated, I’m happy to hear that she provides an unique “what’s new/what’s next” experience and has the latest infos about the happenings in Guangzhou. I will personally thank Amanda and share your kind note with my entire team.
I look forward to welcoming you back again.
Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night at the Spectular Room and was disappointed with the design and decor of the room which looked dull and did not look like the photo of the spectular room as shown in the hotel website. Am I stupid to believe what is shown in the hotel website! I am a SPG Gold Member and I had previously stayed in the spectular room in the W Hotel Taipei and its design was really impressive! Besides, the non-smoking room had a strong smell as if it was a smoking room and the view I had was a huge CONSTRUCTION SITE!
The reception area was extremely small that looked like a tiny bank.
Fortunately, the services at the reception counter, the restaurant 'The Kitchen Table' and 'Away Spa' were superb.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RonnieHongKong
Hello RonnieHongKong,
Thank you for taking time to wrote a review regarding your recent stay in W Guangzhou.
I am sorry to hear that you didn’t like the design of the Spectacular Room and that you’ve felt a strong smell of smoke while staying in the room. Please accept my sincere apologies for this. We have 3 different design directions within the same room category and I’m sure that we can find a room as per your liking.
I’m pleased to hear your appreciation on our services at the Welcome desk, The Kitchen Table restaurant and AWAY SPA.
I hope I will get the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Como, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

from the moment you arrive the waterfall in the foyer is amazing, very welcoming and releasing. the rooms are amazing the beds super comfortable and most restaurants good, the best being the chinese. some staff not up to speed in the busy expensive trade fair time. Price are high with so many new hotels on offer in Guangzhou this could be an issue but loved it

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank GayleCorriganComo
Hello GayleCorriganComo,
Thank you for your review. It is great to know that we have created an impressive experience with our design and services and you have liked our Chinese restaurant. Your comments are very valuable and I will definitely sharing these with our team.
Look forward to see you again.
Hong Kong
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I have written about this property in the past, and had many good things to say. While I still maintain that hotel rooms and general staff keep their high standard, I was shocked to find out that NOT a single restaurant in this 5 Star property provides meal service between 10:30 am and 12:00 pm.

We were getting ready to check out at noon. Since we missed breakfast, at 11 am we just wanted to grab a quick bite at the Cafe - Kitchen Table, only to be told that meal service would only start at 12:00 noon for lunch. No other restaurant is open for business, and room service would take too long.

Just imagine, this brand new, glittering hotel serves NO MEAL during morning hours! Not even simple menu with salad, or sandwich, or noodles!!! What kind of joke is that? Moreover, there aren't any reputable restaurants in the neighborhood to choose from either. Not to mention this is not an option for time conscious travelers.

Perhaps hotel management is too eager to serve, nouveaux riches local residents, and forgot that ultimately hotels are meant for travelers.

A big disappointment indeed...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Epicurius_at_large
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Hello Epicurius_at_large,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay at W Guangzhou.

I’m are delighted to hear that you did enjoy the room and our service delivery and am quiet embarrassed that a wrong information was given to you and you couldn’t had a quick bite before leaving our hotel despite we had meal service in various venues during this period. The Kitchen Table is open from 6:30am to 10:45pm for both buffets on specific times but also a la carte service during all hours of operations. We also provide in our WOOBAR light meals from 11am to 11 pm.

I have shared your feedback with the relevant departments to take the corrective actions in our communication and do apologize again for the inconveniences.

I hope you haven’t lost your faith in W Guangzhou and you will give us another chance to redeem ourselves. Please feel free to contact me directly next time visiting Guangzhou, that I can manage your experience personally.

Best wishes,