“Terrible service experience, but management made up for it”
Review of W Guangzhou

W Guangzhou
Ranked #7 of 3,562 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I was really looking forward to staying at the W in Guangzhou given the hotel's reputation. Walking in, it feels like every W. Clean, hip, cool music. The room was very comfortable, and had a decent, if not great view.

So here are the problems--(1) the location is a bit distant. Other hotels like the Westin or Sofitel are a bit closer to town center; (2) the staff are pretty bad. I had an extremely bad experience at the breakfast room. I got there on the late side (since I paid extra for a breakfast package, I decided to go anyway). There was very little food left, and the stations were pretty unpleasant looking. I had a run-in with two of the breakfast staff that was extremely unpleasant--the kind that would normally make you say done with a hotel for good. Fortunately, the management was extremely gracious and worked very hard to make sure the rest of my stay was excellent. I went the next morning to breakfast (much earlier) and it was a much more pleasant experience--note to self, don't go to breakfast late!! So despite one really disastrous experience, the management and the hotel facilities themselves brought a one-rating back to a four-rating for me.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ricedish
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Hello ricedish,
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us. I’m very sorry to hear that your breakfast experience on the first day did not meet your expectation and we did let you down on that occasion. Please be assured that I’ve addressed your comments to the relevant department heads to arrange the necessary corrective steps.
Since service delivery is on the top of our priorities, I hope that you will give us another chance to redeem ourselves next time you’re visiting Guangzhou. Please feel free to contact me on peter.katusak-huzsvar@whotels.com that I can manage your experience personally.

Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Apart from W Taipei, this is the second W hotel I had ever stay. The great experience at W Taipei made me interested in this hotel brand. However, the room rate is generally high. Thanks for spg, this time I got a free night award, the first W property in mainland China was my first choice to stay for a weekend vacation.

Decor was not as stylish and chic as at Taipei. Staffs from different duties I met were polite. Check-in was smooth.

Wonderful room was not as spacious as expected to be 50sqm. I liked the bathrobe so much which was very comfortable. As the weather was not good for sightseeing, I brought some blu-ray discs and the in-room blu-ray player was useful for me to enjoy for leisure.

WET (swimming pool) was an indoor pool on 29/F, this was not a heated pool as described on website, but still adequate to swim. I appreciate their monitoring staff stayed outside the pool, which made the environment in pool area being more itimate and private. Only one sensor setting aside for a series of 3 jacuzzi seats, which was not convenient, enough and sensitive, water jet was also quite weak which have room for improvement.

Indeed, I spent a great evening in WET, also had a overall great stay at W Guangzhou, hope I can be here when I am in GZ next time.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Hello leetybobby,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your recent experience. We truly appreciate your comments and rest assured that we have addressed your comments to the relevant departments to make the necessary actions. I’m happy to hear that you’ve enjoyed the various facilities and services of our hotel.
Thank you again and we look forward welcoming back you soon at W Guangzhou.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I stayed in W Guangzhou in znovember for 3 nights during a business trip.

The hotel interior impresses from the first minutes - shiny, glitzy and with loads of stuff running to assist. The rooms are glossy, new, fabulously decorated, with ipod docks and other eleconics thought through till last one.

The view from the room was lovely, breakfast very very varied, room service usually under 10mins.

The negative side was that while the hotel management is clearly service oriented all of the staff, except for those in reception, have very very limited English skills.

Hotel restaurants are more like works of art than asian food places; for those in search of a more elaxed setting - there is a whole street of restaurants literally around the corner.

Later in the evening loud funky music will greet you in the lobby but rest assured - sound isolation is also part of the package.

The gym is modern and large - no shortage of tredmills at 7 am

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Hello armaninl,
Thank you for taking time to share your comments.
I am glad to hear that you’ve liked our design and the service level of our hotel.
We have noted your comments about the English skills of certain positions and have already increased the frequency of our English classes to avoid any potential language barrier in the future.
We look forward to welcome you again at W Guangzhou.

Best regards,

Reviewed 22 November 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here, and now that I live here in Guangzhou, here are, in order, the things which bring me back time and time again aside from the rooms:

1. The Insider!!!:
Amanda, the "Insider" at the W Guangzhou really knows her stuff. She showed me parts of the city that even long time residents have no clue about, showed me the proper way of eating crab like a well informed local, took me to art galleries off the beaten path, and keeps the tips of places, concerts, events and things happening around town current. As friendly as they get, Amanda really does a good job of not only keeping guests informed, but giving them a in-the-know friend in a chaotic city.

2. Wu bar:
Having a chill drink in a place as stylish as my living room when I am away from home is super important... and Wu bar does not disappoint. It is a great pace to have a fancy drink and just chill. Secret tip, the WiFi lets you get on FB so you can make your friends jealous about all the cool things you are seeing, oh, and a great place to celeb watch! :D

3. Fei:
Great Music, Beautiful People, and a great atmosphere. Having been to other W brands around the world, I think Fei ranks up there with some of the best. Although ordering a drink at times from the bar on the main floor is VERY VERY difficult, I found that going to the top floor and getting a drink and coming back down is way easier. Hopefully, the kinks are worked out soon, as the bar is still young. The band is stellar! And you really have to love the attention to detail that goes into the decorating and performance during the special events.

4. The feel of the hotel:
This is a newer hotel. The staff and the clients are fashionable, friendly, and trendsetting. Mostly everyone here is multilingual and seem generally ready to offer a helping hand for the curious guest. It is a welcome respite from the hustle and bustle of Guangzhou. You are transformed into a world specially curated for the taste conscious. I recommend a stay here, a visit here, and/or a night out here.

Put on your party shoes, and dance the night away!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Hello riyaliti,
I am very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us at W Guangzhou met your expectation and that you enjoyed your time in our Woobar and Fei. Your kind note on Amanda is greatly appreciated, I’m happy to hear that she provides an unique “what’s new/what’s next” experience and has the latest infos about the happenings in Guangzhou. I will personally thank Amanda and share your kind note with my entire team.
I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night at the Spectular Room and was disappointed with the design and decor of the room which looked dull and did not look like the photo of the spectular room as shown in the hotel website. Am I stupid to believe what is shown in the hotel website! I am a SPG Gold Member and I had previously stayed in the spectular room in the W Hotel Taipei and its design was really impressive! Besides, the non-smoking room had a strong smell as if it was a smoking room and the view I had was a huge CONSTRUCTION SITE!
The reception area was extremely small that looked like a tiny bank.
Fortunately, the services at the reception counter, the restaurant 'The Kitchen Table' and 'Away Spa' were superb.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RonnieHongKong

Hello RonnieHongKong,
Thank you for taking time to wrote a review regarding your recent stay in W Guangzhou.
I am sorry to hear that you didn’t like the design of the Spectacular Room and that you’ve felt a strong smell of smoke while staying in the room. Please accept my sincere apologies for this. We have 3 different design directions within the same room category and I’m sure that we can find a room as per your liking.
I’m pleased to hear your appreciation on our services at the Welcome desk, The Kitchen Table restaurant and AWAY SPA.
I hope I will get the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

from the moment you arrive the waterfall in the foyer is amazing, very welcoming and releasing. the rooms are amazing the beds super comfortable and most restaurants good, the best being the chinese. some staff not up to speed in the busy expensive trade fair time. Price are high with so many new hotels on offer in Guangzhou this could be an issue but loved it

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank GayleCorriganComo

Hello GayleCorriganComo,
Thank you for your review. It is great to know that we have created an impressive experience with our design and services and you have liked our Chinese restaurant. Your comments are very valuable and I will definitely sharing these with our team.
Look forward to see you again.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I have written about this property in the past, and had many good things to say. While I still maintain that hotel rooms and general staff keep their high standard, I was shocked to find out that NOT a single restaurant in this 5 Star property provides meal service between 10:30 am and 12:00 pm.

We were getting ready to check out at noon. Since we missed breakfast, at 11 am we just wanted to grab a quick bite at the Cafe - Kitchen Table, only to be told that meal service would only start at 12:00 noon for lunch. No other restaurant is open for business, and room service would take too long.

Just imagine, this brand new, glittering hotel serves NO MEAL during morning hours! Not even simple menu with salad, or sandwich, or noodles!!! What kind of joke is that? Moreover, there aren't any reputable restaurants in the neighborhood to choose from either. Not to mention this is not an option for time conscious travelers.

Perhaps hotel management is too eager to serve, nouveaux riches local residents, and forgot that ultimately hotels are meant for travelers.

A big disappointment indeed...

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Epicurius_at_large
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Hello Epicurius_at_large,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay at W Guangzhou.

I’m are delighted to hear that you did enjoy the room and our service delivery and am quiet embarrassed that a wrong information was given to you and you couldn’t had a quick bite before leaving our hotel despite we had meal service in various venues during this period. The Kitchen Table is open from 6:30am to 10:45pm for both buffets on specific times but also a la carte service during all hours of operations. We also provide in our WOOBAR light meals from 11am to 11 pm.

I have shared your feedback with the relevant departments to take the corrective actions in our communication and do apologize again for the inconveniences.

I hope you haven’t lost your faith in W Guangzhou and you will give us another chance to redeem ourselves. Please feel free to contact me directly next time visiting Guangzhou, that I can manage your experience personally.

Best wishes,