“Fantastic Service” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 3,385 Hotels in Guangzhou
Guangzhou, China
“Fantastic Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I recently stayed at the W Hotel serviced apartments for three months. During my stay I experienced absolutely outstanding customer service, the likes of which I have not experienced in China. The staff at reception went out of their way to make me and my family feel welcome. They even made my daughter and I awesome birthday cakes when they found out our birthdays. On top of this, the facilities at the hotel are first class. Outstanding gym and pool and great restaurants and bars. I couldn't recommend a hotel more. Thank you for a great stay!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Hello Alex S,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review with us. We are thrilled to know that we have managed to exceed your expectations in our service promise and delivery. We really appreciate your positive feedback, and we look forward to see you again on your next stay at W Guangzhou.

Peter Katusak-Huzsvar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

The staff was outstanding, and you can tell it is an extremely well managed hotel with well trained personnel. The dependable, friendly and efficient service really stands out and I was both surprised and flattered that people learned my name and also introduced themselves to me after my return. For me, this created a very personal and warm atmosphere and I felt very welcome and at home here.

Before describing some of the features of the property let me tell you some of the things that happened during my stay: My girlfriend managed to come and visit me while I was on a business trip here. I went to the front desk to explain that I will be occupying the room with two for the next days and also asked for an additional breakfast. After I picked her up from the airport we returned to a room decorated with roses, heart shaped balloons and some chocolate and champagne waiting for us – her welcome to China was perfect! Thanks a lot for this to Peter, the GM, and all his staff involved in this surprise!

During one week in Guangzhou we were invited to four independent events: a conference, a chamber gala dinner, dining in a Japanese restaurant and a party, the Oscar night celebration. They all were under the same roof, the one of the W! Our initial impression was that we landed in the pivot of the city and now, some months later I can confirm this.

The rooms I stayed in were all fabulous and luxurious with high ceilings and glossy black lacquer entryways leading to the bedroom. Next to the entry is the bathroom with a sink and Japanese automatic toilet. Next to this room, I had a walk in wardrobe, then another bathroom with two sinks and large rainforest shower and bathtub. One thing I never knew I needed was a TV on the foot side of the bathtub! Worked really well with speakers in the ceiling and a no-fogging golden screen. The main room has a writing desk with plugs and connections to electricity, the internet and HDMI to connect to the big SONY TV. Another feature I used a lot was the docking station for my iPhone. The whole place felt like a small luxurious apartment, not a hotel room. Really impressive!

The lobby/bar called Living Room, is a pioneering take on the idea of a lobby where you just go to check in and out. Everything is very ingeniously designed and there are some of the most photographed installations in Guangzhou like a bronze, polished sculpture and a waterfall of light. There are open sitting areas, great to meet up, but also more secluded ones and even a smokers' lounge and bar. Check out the upstairs balcony overlooking it for some great photo opportunities and a sit on an Elephant…

Popular Fei Club, designed by Japan's Aoyama Nomura –check out: http://www.indesignlive.com/articles/projects/fei-ultralounge-w-hotel-guangzhou#axzz30te4LxGd - really blew my mind and I had some amazing theme parties there like Valentines day or the the Oscar night, but also “regular” great nights during the week. What I find very special is the great “Wave Band” who is playing every night, really entertaining the crowds, and later a DJ takes over. One of the things I did not like, but that might be related to my age, is that later the night the music was getting hurtfully loud and really drove me out of the club.

The kitchens in all restaurants are among the best in town, keeping the patrons on their toes titillating their palate when Chefs from all over the world are visiting to showcase their skills. Breakfast has everything you need, and many things you don’t need, but can enjoy when you want to spoil yourself like an amazing variety of pastries, fresh waffles and pancakes. There are stations where food is prepared fresh after your wishes, like soups, eggs, and the tempting waffles already mentioned. One thing I love is the variety of freshly squeezed juices and array of fresh fruits.

The Spa is surprisingly huge and created in a very calming and relaxing way, with nice installations and top facilities. I was pretty beaten up after a chaotic flight and went to get a massage there late that night (they are open until midnight). It turned out to be the best I ever had in China! All the tensions in my neck were gone and I felt completely refreshed the next morning!
On top of the Spa is a modern gym with a good selection of machines and there are usually two helpful and very skilled trainers on site. The only thing I missed was a rowing machine, but I managed to improvise with the cable tower.
The swimming pool is right next to it and a feels like a cathedral, very open with high ceilings and floor-to-ceiling windows over the whole length overlooking the city. The pool is heated and has some relax areas on the sides and end of it. Last two times I went there, I had it completely for myself which added of course to the luxurious feeling.

Also great location, two streets down from where I needed to be, close to many headquarters, banks and the fair (there is a shuttle service during those periods). If you want to leave the property, which as I described above you don’t really need to do, there is the “bar street” just perpendicular to the exit with everything from a Irish Pub, a Cuban cocktail bar, American and Australian franchise coffee places to some nice restaurants and supermarkets. The park, library and museums are down the street and you can easily walk to some of the landmarks like the TV Tower and the IFC.

One more thing to mention is that after returning here time after time and always having the same great experience I managed to catch one of the serviced apartments there after my permanent posting to Guangzhou. Been there now the second month and can vouch for the consistency of the service quality and experience of all facilities from rooms, restaurants, bars to the spa.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank claus0202
Hello claus0202,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your kind and gracious words from your recent experience at W Guangzhou. It’s very uplifting to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm thrilled to know you found everything satisfied and our team delivered excellent services for you and your girlfriend. I have shared your message with the team as an additional motivation for all of us!

We hope to welcome you back soon!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

From the moment you entered this beautiful hotel, your senses are heightened with the sweet fragrance sweeping the lobby and the playful display of the colorful waterfall. The young, professional reception staff checked me in quickly and made me feel so welcome, I'm liking the hotel more and more. Going up to my room, the trip is very quiet and entertaining with the lips doing its thing. The room was awesome, huge and impressive. Can't believe I'm in GZ in this beautiful hotel. The Lounge staff were so helpful and very attentive on your first visit they remember everything about your wants, that you get them as soon as you enter. Unbelievable!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Hello Armee A,

We really appreciate for taking the time to share your comments. It is great to know that you had a good experience at W Guangzhou and you loved our design and decor very much.

We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have stayed at the W Guangzhou as a long-term guest on 2 separate trips. Spending the majority of my schedule traveling, I found that the staff in general has been professional, helpful, and attentive. I have stayed at 14 different W Hotels and the staff at this establishment has made my stay both enjoyable and efficient.

The restaurant; Kitchen Table offers a wide variety of fresh ingredients and selections that may accommodate all types of diets. The business center has been quite helpful in providing services for all road warriors. And while I have traveled within Mainland China on various occasions, the staff has continued to go above and beyond for making my journeys outside of the hotel easy and accessible. The willingness and genuine care of hotel guests, whatever the concern, has left a positive note allowing me to focus on my more important business or leisure concerns.

Lastly, the property has all of the amenities any 5-star hotel can offer. Spa, pool, and gym are fully equipped and the attendants are helpful. The location is ideally located in the center of the city. The bars, meeting points, and living-room lounge make it easy and accessible for guests and visitors alike. The value for the services provided and the friendly and professional staff have earned my returned stay if/when I return to Guangzhou.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Hello JoeyF888,

Thanks so much for your amazing comments! It’s great to hear that our staff looked after you beyond your expectations and made you return.

We look forward to see you soon again at W Guangzhou.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights about 2 weeks ago. This is actually the 6th W hotel which I have stayed and it really WOW me. The staffs were very friendly, professional and attentive. The suite which we had was nothing but fantastic. The hotel is located within a short drive to where we needed to go and walking distance to many restaurants. Big special thank you to Monica at front desk who ensured our stay was a memorable one. I would recommand this hotel to everyone and would definitately be back in the future.

Room Tip: Go for the suite as it is truely amazing...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Acez246,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. I am very happy to hear that you had a memorable stay with us. I would like to also thank you for your kind words on my team especially on Monica, which I’ll be sharing with them.

We look forward to see you again soon.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

The second you stepped in the hotel, you would be attracted by the remarkable design of the lobby. As expected, the room looks stylish and was comfortable.

I was not feeling well that day and I could not cancel the booking since it was guaranteened. The check-in process was smooth but when I arrived the room, the wifi cannot be connected, there was no one picking up the phone so I went down to lobby personally to seek help. Fortunately, there was a nice Concierge who was willing to assist me in my room with my ipad and iphone connection.

After I took my medicine, I slept right away before 8pm. However, the front desk always call up to the room and woke me up so that they can follow up with my method of payment. No matter how many times I told front desk, they keep chasing me with what I have already settled. It makes me feel really sad epeacially it was already 10pm and I was awake by the phone for few times repeating the same thing!

However, I really appreciate the Housekeeping who helped me for the turn down service. He did an outstanding job and was so sweet which helps me a lot for a peaceful night.

At the end, I had good experience during my time visiting the fitness and spa and also my check out. Overall, it is a good hotel and the location is very quiet which I also enjoyed it very much.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Hello Yautung,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent experience with us.

I’m happy to hear that our staff could help you with the Internet connection and appreciate your great words on our Housekeeping. Please be assured that I’ve shared your comments with the Front Desk Team to make the necessary changes in the relevant process.

Thanks again and we look forward welcoming you again at W Guangzhou.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

This newly built hotel is one of the best hotels I ever stayed around the world. The entry shows a great "water fall" from about 10m ceiling. Clever modern tile combination with ultra modern furniture. The check in area set out as a boutique hotel and you will find a nice surprise in all the lifts. The hotel bar is divided into 3 main areas and my martini is perfect. The pool area has another bar if you want to have a drink after swim. There are many hotel staff greet you and ask if they can help you. Different to other Chinese hotels I stayed, I didn't see any W Hotel staff talking to each other or play with their mobile phone on duty. The hotel has its own night club over 2 levels with live performance and good DJ.

The Hotel room contains the most technology, including warm seat and self flash toilet, TV in bath, lighting control on both sides of the bed - this is very cool, once you touch the keypad, the keypad lights up so you can see what you pressing in the dark. Air con control, time, 3 levels of light setting, two layer of curtain controls are all at your figures. Shower temperature can be set and stay set during my stay.

If I have to pick something, then they are 1) the toilet and bathroom are separate 2) The bed is not as comfortable as the Westin 3) My friend's starwood privilege card got refused.

The hotel location is very central with Mclaren dealership within the building and a street of western bars and cool restaurants behind.

The price is about USD$300 per night and I will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Check ongoing construction noise level
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hello Davidwubrisbane,

Thank you for your amazing review. I’m happy to hear that you have enjoyed your experience and liked our design and facilities and also our team has impressed you so much!

We look forward welcoming you back in the near future!