“Very disappointed. Credit card charged 2 times at check-out”
Review of W Guangzhou

W Guangzhou
Ranked #6 of 3,460 Hotels in Guangzhou
foshan
“Very disappointed. Credit card charged 2 times at check-out”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

How could I be satisfied with my stay at W Guangzhou ? :

My credit card statement revealed that my check-out bill was charged 2 times by W Hotel and it took one month and many emails to get a refund. There even was a mistake during the refund process and the refund first appeared on my credit card statement as I was charged a 3rd time! 1.5 month after my stay did I receive any compensation? : NO
I am surprised? : NO
Why? : W Hotel Guangzhou just doesn't care enough of guests and service. As long as their recruitment process is primary based on look and style, don’t expect any 5 stars service… Too many W employees are young people just so proud of themselves and how stylish and beautiful people they are. It seems they think their job is to be admired by the customers…

I just encountered so many problems during my stay. For example :
-During my stay one of my friend delivered by courier a brand new designer bag at reception with my name and room number. First the concierge team in the lobby denied that any package was delivered for me. I had to start complaining very loudly and getting very angry and then …. they found the bag…. I checked later with my friend and its courier and the bag was delivered 2 days before…

- The problem with my hotel check-out bill was first followed by… the Beverage and Food Director! This is just illogical and crazy in terms of organization

- The fresh orange juice at breakfast is put in small glass bottle. Nice and stylish. Before to serve you need to shake the bottle to ensure the juice is homogeneous. Problem is that some bottles lids are now damaged and leaking. I realized it when one morning I trashed my clothes by shaking the bottle...

- etc…

I spent more than 10 years in China and I could notice that W Guangzhou employees are much more careful with local Chinese guests than foreigners.

I usually stay at Sheraton Guangzhou and W Guangzhou would have so much to learn from their colleagues at Sheraton Guangzhou. I have SPG Platinum status and just by comparing the lounge service, food and drinks, Sheraton Guangzhou is really ahead of W Guangzhou.

Will I stay again at W Guangzhou or in a W Hotel ? NO. Why?: I stayed in 3 different W properties within the last 6 months and it was the second time that I faced major service issues and that I was offered no compensation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Franchine
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Hello Franchine,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your feedback regarding your recent experience at W Guangzhou with us.
I am very sorry to hear that we did let you down with our Concierge service and our orange juice presentation upon breakfast. Please be assured that these have been addressed to the relevant department heads to arrange the necessary changes for improvement.
Please accept also my apologies for the double payment which was caused by a system failure upon your departure. Our Manager on Duty has immediately addressed the issue after receiving your mail over the weekend and got back to you on the same day. We have initiated the refund at our bank on the very next Monday and I was happy to get your e-mail confirmation that the 3rd charge was a mistake of your bank and the refund was done correctly from our side.
Although we couldn’t fulfil your explicit compensation request for an SPG Lifetime Platinum status, I hope that you haven’t lost faith in W Guangzhou and you will give us a second chance to redeem ourselves.

Peter Katusak-Huzsvar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Room is nicely decorated, chic and nice. Different from the other W Hotels i had stayed, they got separated toilet and shower/bathroom with separated sink. Not to mention they had a walk-in closet as well. So you can imagine that how big the room is. Roof-top pool - another must check facilites where you could oversee the city. The W lounge (not common for W Hotels) on the 26/F offered a wonderful place to relax during the day. Staff at the hotel, especially at the reception, are friendly and professional. There was lots of choice for the breakfast at the Kitchen Table and they are yummy too. Although there were only limited food choice at Woo Bar, drinks recommended by the staff tasted good. Definately will choose W GuangZhou again for my future visits to the city.

Macau, China
Reviewed 5 June 2014

W hotel is always my first choice of the trip when im travelling for holiday. The chic style design of the hotel would never let you down. That is also the reason makes me to spend a night at W Guangzhou evertime i go back even though home is just around the corner. Spending time with friends from home at Woo Bar always brings me unforgetable memories of each stay.

The room is specious with mainly black tone modern design, makes it looks really cool and chic. One of the best thing to do in the room is to have a warm bathtub of water with bath salt in it, and just relax in there with the spa music on.

The indoor swimming pool is just perfect for people who doesnt want to receive too much sun tanning during summer time. Enjoying the not too heavy sun light on the big round comfortable chair by the pool is another good choice. Ummmmmm, looking forward for my next stay already!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Hello Kattylorr,

Thank you for your wonderful review. It’s very uplifting to hear that you have had a good time with your friends in our WOOBAR and enjoyed your stay with us, especially our pool facilities.

Thanks again and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future!

Warm regards,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I just completed a one month long stay at the W and can honestly say it was one of the finest hotel experiences I've had the pleasure to enjoy. From check-in to check-out, I was treated with utmost courtesy and respect. I stayed in a 'Fabulous Room' which included access to the W Lounge and daily buffet breakfast at the hotel restaurant, "The Kitchen Table." The room was spacious and chic. The staff in the W Lounge were very attentive. The hotel is located about 10-15 minute walk to the metro system which offers excellent coverage of the city, and is also one block away from a nice variety of bustling cafes and restaurants. I will absolutely stay here next time I'm in Guangzhou. Thank you to the W staff for making me feel at home!

Room Tip: Fabulous Rooms offer Lounge Access and Daily Buffet Breakfast
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Hello MikeJet88,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are delighted to hear that we have managed to make you feel at home during your long stay with us. We appreciate your kind words and look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I love the design of this W hotel and one of the nicest i have seen. The Hotel and rooms were great and since this hotel is too costly i took a suite which was reasonable and worth every penny. I was very happy.

The pool is indoors which is not something i like, but i must say it's designed well. Weekends the pool is busy with families and kids so go early or late if you want some real swim time alone.

The new club lounge is a first for W brand and it's beautifully designed and very friendly staff too. My only issue is that ALL club lounges in other brands, Hyatt, Intercontinental and Four Seasons, where i also stay a lot, offer much more with breakfast, lunch, high tea and light dinner included. To only offer snacks and drinks from 5-7 pm is very disappointing. * This is a helpful hint Starwood W, do something about it.

My only problem with this hotel which really bothered me was the lunch and dinner at the Kitchen cafe buffet. No one clears the tables and food stacks up on everyones table. It's quite disgusting.

And at dinner if you sit past 930 pm within 5 minutes they are totally clearing out the place with ten staff coming in with carts and they even turned the lights on bright to hint to the customers to get out. I can't imagine this happening in a five star hotel....i guess the staff needs to catch a bus home by 10 pm ? Ha. F&B manager get on this one, i was shocked to see this and makes me not want to come back.

Overall i loved this hotel, just stay away from the Kitchen Cafe after breakfast for now. AND the Spa was excellent !

Hello Michael R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your experience and had a good time in our hotel. I have shared your comments with our Kitchen Table Team, to arrange the necessary changes for a better guest experience.

We hope to see you back to W Guangzhou.

Warm regards,

Singapore
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The 5 star Hotel experience starts the moment you step into the hotel. Rooms and lobby were very tastefully design with luxurious fittings. Good concept bar at the lobby and located in the new CBD. Near to the train station and popular Chinese restaurants. The local bar strip is also just round the corner.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Hello TOCSG,
Thank you for sharing you wonderful comments. I am thrilled to know you liked everything and enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back soon!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

No better place to return to after a long day spent in hot and humid factories and in never ending traffic jams, than the cool and accommodating new W. Great food, awesome service, large rooms, perfect location, friendly staff and a great selection of bars and restaurants. Had a perfect stay here, and will certainly come back again when in the region.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Hello hi_stick,

Thank you for the review of your recent W Guangzhou experience.
It is great to hear that you had a great experience at W Guangzhou after a long working day. We really appreciate your positive feedback, and we look forward to seeing you again on your return!